TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I need a quick answer!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need a quick answer!

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Could someone tell me what beef consomme is? Is it beef broth? I decided to make something easy and am making French dip sandwiches. And the recipe called for a can of beef consomme.
post #2 of 15
For a french dip I'd imagine it's like Au Jus sauce which is basically like a very rich beef broth/stock.
post #3 of 15
Yes, it is the same as "broth."
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
So it'll be okay to use just a beef broth?
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy View Post
So it'll be okay to use just a beef broth?
Thats what I was thinking?
post #6 of 15
French Dip is served with "Au Jus" which means the beef "juice."

Broth is usually more watered down, whereas the consumme isn't, it is thicker, and closer to pan drippings. If you aren't roasting the beef yourself, then I would try to find the consumme rather than using the more watery broth.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
Thats what I was thinking?
Me too.....cause that's what I bought.... That's what I was hoping anyway since Trav will be home in 25 minutes...
post #8 of 15
Beef broth will work fine, you might want to let the roast beef simmer in broth before you make sandwiches, it will help flovar the broth.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
French Dip is served with "Au Jus" which means the beef "juice."

Broth is usually more watered down, whereas the consumme isn't, it is thicker, and closer to pan drippings. If you aren't roasting the beef yourself, then I would try to find the consumme rather than using the more watery broth.
But since I already bought the broth should I not add water like the recipe calls for?
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy View Post
Me too.....cause that's what I bought.... That's what I was hoping anyway since Trav will be home in 25 minutes...
I wouldn't notice a difference, maybe just a stronger flavor with the consomme? I'm sure he won't tell a difference! Let us know how it turns out!
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy View Post
But since I already bought the broth should I not add water like the recipe calls for?
No don't add water.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by psjauntie View Post
No don't add water.

And the "simmer the beef in the broth first" idea is a REALLY good one.
post #13 of 15
you could even try to add some flour, or beef gravy mix (like in a packet) to thicken it up
post #14 of 15
This thread is making me hungry for another dinner
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post

And the "simmer the beef in the broth first" idea is a REALLY good one.
That is exaclty what I did and it turned out great! Thanks for all your help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I need a quick answer!