Training dog to stay down?

lintroller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I just want to mention I read "How could you?" posted down below and, yes, did cry. When I visit the shelter I usually only am able to see the cats because when I go to see the dogs they get so excited and stirred up and it about breaks my heart knowing I can't take them all home, and breaks theirs that I'm just passing through. Ugh.

But my question is how to train a dog to stay down. My stepdad has a lab that spends part of her time in a kennel. Everytime I let her out she is, of course, very excited and ends up jumping all over me. I wouldn't mind so much except that there are numerous occasions she's scratched my legs and feet up and dirties my clothing. I try to tell her "down" but that doesn't phase her, and she's otherwise very obedient... she comes to her name and obeys "kennel up". I know she's not trying to be naughty and just is excited but I can't have her hurting me with her jumping.

Any ideas on how to train her to stop jumping? I'm not that dog savvy, so the more basic, the better. Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
is she jumping on people??

if so just turn away.. ie dog jumps on you ... you do a quater or half turn around

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, DOWN means to lay down - not stop jumping on a person/couch. You should use the term OFF in a firm voice. Put your hand up or kinda knee the dog when he jumps off.

After saying OFF, use the SIT command. How well trained IS this lab? We have one and she knows that jumping on people is not allowed. A quick OFF and SIT makes her stay there to be petted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lintroller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying. As far as turning around, I already am walking away from her as I let her out, if I stop she just increases her jumping on me.

She's only partially trained. She used to be a hunting dog, hence she knows to come to her name and to kennel up, but she hasn't retained how to sit or stay down. She's a good dog that is friendly and WANTS to please, but she's so excited when she first comes out. After she's been out awhile she's calm and generally will not jump.

If I was to train her I'd have to start from scratch with a command. I just don't know how.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An additional tip: never acknowledge a dog that is jumping on you. Turn away and ignore them until they calm down. Once they are calm, you can reach out to pet them. If you acknowledge them when they are jumping, they assume it is acceptable behavior and will continue doing it. Never give into a temptation to pet them while jumping.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do NOT knee your dog. That's a lazy solution to a problem that can be stubborn but there is only one solution for it - and that is persistent ignoring.

Does this dog get much exercise or attention? I know she's in a kennel `part' of the time, but how long is `part' of the time? If she's not part of the family or getting enough exercise or attention your best bet is to have her rehomed to a famiy that will take adequate care of her.

As for her jumping, well, it's a simple solution but takes patience and persistence, and everyone who comes in contact with her MUST comply.

She's trying to say hello and get your attention. If she doesn't get any attention - and I mean any, yelling, smacking, growling, shouting; this is all attention to a dog - she'll eventually stop. But everyone has to do the same thing, ALL the time. I will have a look for some good links on jumping up to save me typing the whole thing out all over again! Lol...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lintroller

Hi all. I just want to mention I read "How could you?" posted down below and, yes, did cry. When I visit the shelter I usually only am able to see the cats because when I go to see the dogs they get so excited and stirred up and it about breaks my heart knowing I can't take them all home, and breaks theirs that I'm just passing through. Ugh.

But my question is how to train a dog to stay down. My stepdad has a lab that spends part of her time in a kennel. Everytime I let her out she is, of course, very excited and ends up jumping all over me. I wouldn't mind so much except that there are numerous occasions she's scratched my legs and feet up and dirties my clothing. I try to tell her "down" but that doesn't phase her, and she's otherwise very obedient... she comes to her name and obeys "kennel up". I know she's not trying to be naughty and just is excited but I can't have her hurting me with her jumping.

Any ideas on how to train her to stop jumping? I'm not that dog savvy, so the more basic, the better. Thanks.
First of all, stay down is not a good command. Neither is sit down (do you want the dog to sit or down???)
Use commands that are as simple as possible.
Sit = put butt on ground until released with a word
OK= release word
Down= go in a down position until released with a word
Stay= stay in position until released
No= stop doing that
Dogs are already learning another language, combining several words they know into multiple words can get confusing for dogs that are learning.

The Lab sounds like she has lots of nervous energy and needs lots of outlets. Maybe your Stepdad could learn to dremel her nails so they aren't such daggers and give her more attention and exercise than she is currently getting.
As far as jumping, when you first go to see her I would ignore her until she is calm. With hyper dogs even a word or eye contact makes them go too crazy, so keep the introductions low key. Don't say a word, no eye contact. When you praise later on in interactions, keep it low key.

Or you can do plan B
When she first comes out grab her collar, leash her, and do obedience. Before you greet her, she MUST down or sit and remain sitting or downing until released. Her nervous energy must be at least channeled so she doesn't hurt people when first meeting them. You need to be firm and consistent (don't let her jump on you one time and not another).

Labs are smart, she should get the message pretty fast. You are either teaching her jumping and acting crazy gets her ZERO attention until she is calm. Or you are teaching her a new behavior. Greeting people means sit/stay or down/stay not go wild and jump around everywhere like a fish outta water
Labs are also very mouthy, maybe you could give her a toy when she first gets out and she could carry it around and focus less on jumping all over you.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I come home, my Old English sheepdogs and Golden Retriever have to sit for attention. If they stand up or jump, they lose the attention.

Be sure that you aren't feeding into her excitement on seeing you and being released from the kennel. A nice, calm, quiet voice is best. In fact, see if you can get her to sit before you open the door. It establishes a control, of sorts.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if she's only partially trained, its not too late to enroll her in a basic obedience class so she learns Sit, Stay, Down, Off, Heel, etc.