Kitten poop pain??

drkorey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a new kitten 4 weeks ago and he was 6 weeks old then. When I first got him home I noticed/heard him kinda squeel and meow in distress when he would poop, and not really anything when he would pee. After one rather loud episode, (he was having watery feces at this time) I checked his rear and there was a little blood there. So, I swabbed a sample and took him to the vet.
They said he had worms, etc. and this was causing him pain/distress.
Well 4 weeks later, he still makes noise when he poops, sometimes not too bad, sometimes very loud and very infrequently not at all. It seems he is also doing this when peeing (very infrequently).
Is he just doing this noise as habit now? I'm guessing not and he is going back to the vet today. Any opinions?
The vet has a good rep - so I guess I'll wait to see what he says - but I think he'll say it's just residual worms or brush it off.
The kitten hasn't associated any negatives (that I can tell) with using the box - he still does and doesn't go anywhere else. And he is a very happy and great guy besides the occasional litter box distress.
Any opinions appreciated.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor little thing. I don't know how much help I can offer but definitely the vet trip will be worth it. Did you try just calling the vet to see if he/she could offer advice over the phone before having to make the trip?

Perhaps you could ask the vet about adding a small amount of bran into the kitten's food. This helps my little boogers with constipation. Or maybe adding some olive oil or some other supplement to the food to help bulk up the stool and ease the exit.

The poor thing shouldn't have to make painful noises. Oh, I would feed sooo bad for him.

Hope the vet doesn't brush it off...good luck.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm...I wonder if he still has worms?
Hopefully the vet will know! Please let us know what the vet says.

And welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drkorey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, we went to the vet today and he did a more thourough exam and I was able to watch.
My kitten has a problem with his anal glands being full and possibly infected.
The vet said he's never seen this in a cat before. He squeezed the glands and some liquids came out, etc. Now we do a round of antibiotics and see if the glands keep clear. The vet said usually the glands keep clear by themselves with bowel activity.
I'm hoping for the best that it stays clear and we don't have to squeeze them or have him squeeze them every six weeks.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm...well, I'm glad he figured something out. I have read about this problem with dogs, especially small dogs - it's a genetic problem that develops with the in-breeding that is necessary to get those little cute dogs. The anal glands are unable to naturally release the secretions that build up and the animal usually is seen scooting along the ground to rid itself of this uncomfortable situation. But in cats...hmmm, guess anything's possible. Did the vet suggest trying to bulk up the stool. A premium diet, especially one with added fiber will help bulk up the stool, somehow forcing the glands to empty themselves.

I'm no expert, just thought I'd express my thoughts and what I've learned from reading. My mom's yorkie has this problem but ever since I had my mom switch her diet to Merrick canned food there has been no butt-scooting.

Good luck with your little one.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Drkorey

So, we went to the vet today and he did a more thourough exam and I was able to watch.
The vet said he's never seen this in a cat before. He squeezed the glands and some liquids came out, etc. Now we do a round of antibiotics and see if the glands keep clear. The vet said usually the glands keep clear by themselves with bowel activity.
I'm hoping for the best that it stays clear and we don't have to squeeze them or have him squeeze them every six weeks.
If you do a search on this forum for "anal glands" you will find there are others here whose cats have had this problem. Some have been recurring and others have "outgrown" it so to speak. Apparently it is not a rare thing and you can learn to express them yourself to avoid numerous vet trips.

I hope the antibiotics clear up any infection.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said he's never seen this in a cat before
My Sophie's anal glands became infected and burst. (Ick) I had no idea she had a problem until it happened. My vet could only guess as to why it happened, but thought it could have been because Sophie didn't clean herself very well. She was a large girl, and couldn't reach to wash everywhere. The vet said it was pretty rare in cats. A round of antibiotics cleared her up, and it never bothered her again.

The poor little squirt; I'm glad you got him to the vet's. Hope he's feeling better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drkorey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all! I'll have to look into the bulk/fiber type diet - it makes sense that it might help the glands do their job.
And hopefully the antibiotics do the trick and he outgrows it. He is a wonderful and very happy little guy except when it's time to hit the litter box.