is my kitten sick?

stella-b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just adopted 2 3month old kittens friday. they both seem relatively healthy except for the fact that they had fleas. i treated them both with revolution for the fleas and they seem to be just about gone. but i have noticed that they both appear to have some dark residue in their noses, i cant tell if its dried blood or dried dirt. also both kittens have had no problems using the litter box (since friday) until today when jack (one of the kittens) went pee on the bathroom floor behind the toilet (his litter box is also in the bathroom but under the sink). jack is also making a weird sound thats a mix of a cough, hick-up, and hacking, which can last about 10 seconds, nothing comes out, and he has done this about 10x today alone. he doesnt sneeze or have any discharge from his eyes or nose but kind of sounds slightly stuffy some times when he purrs, but i cant tell if thats just me looking for something.
what could be wrong?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jack sounds like he might have an Upper Respiratory Infection(URI). I would take them both to the vet. That way, s/he can make sure the fleas are gone, determine the reason for coughing, & be made aware out the "out of the box" experience. Jack especially sounds like he needs to go to the vet soon.

Normally, if a cat does not use the litterbox, I would be concerned about a Urinary Tract Infection(UTI). However, because of the age of Jack, I wouldn't worry about a UTI.

If they have not been dewormed yet, please get some dewormer from the vet. Also get them vaccinated.....& I booked my spay appointments when my kitten went in for her first vaccination.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Jack sounds like he might have an Upper Respiratory Infection(URI). I would take them both to the vet. That way, s/he can make sure the fleas are gone, determine the reason for coughing, & be made aware out the "out of the box" experience. Jack especially sounds like he needs to go to the vet soon.

Normally, if a cat does not use the litterbox, I would be concerned about a Urinary Tract Infection(UTI). However, because of the age of Jack, I wouldn't worry about a UTI.

If they have not been dewormed yet, please get some dewormer from the vet. Also get them vaccinated.....& I booked my spay appointments when my kitten went in for her first vaccination.
totally agree!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd schedule a vet visit asap to get them both checked. If one has an upper respirtory, then other one will (or will soon). Where did you adopt them from - shelter, pet shop, private party?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella-b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i adopted them both from the local animal shelter. they were both already neutered when i adopted them. jack hasnt had any more "accidents" so maybe it was a one time thing (fingers crossed). i am however going to take them both for a regular check up tomorrow. hopefully all is well...
thanx everyone for the advice!

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your kittens just learnt how to use the litter box. My kittens, when they just learnt to use the litter box, they will sometimes pee during their sleep, just like a kid that pees the bed. If they just learnt how to use the litter box, they may still have some “accidents” which is what that may have happend, not quite understanding that he was going to pee, or didn’t think he could make it to the litter box. Even thought he could have.
Did he get his shots right away? If not he may not have the antibodies after being breast fed, and can easily get sick when moving to a new environment.