how soon can she go into heat?

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted two 7week old kittens along with their momma.... I just got them all around 4pm today- she has not stopped talking and meowing. The previous owner told me that she liked to talk... but I didnt think it would be like this. She keeps trying to get outside everytime the front door is opened- but is apparently an inside cat. So, my concern is can she be in heat already? Or, is she really this talkative?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Yes she can be in heat again. Talk to your vet to see how soon you can get her spayed.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mygirl919

I just adopted two 7week old kittens along with their momma.... I just got them all around 4pm today- she has not stopped talking and meowing. The previous owner told me that she liked to talk... but I didnt think it would be like this. She keeps trying to get outside everytime the front door is opened- but is apparently an inside cat. So, my concern is can she be in heat already? Or, is she really this talkative?
Yes, a cat can go into heat immediately after delivering a litter, and can become pregnant the day after she delivers. Excessive meowing, and trying to get outdoors to be become bred, is a very strong instict, so please make sure you do keep her indoors. Are her kittens still nursing? Are they eating solid food? I have 2 different opinions, my first thought is that if the kittens are weaned "enough" on to solid food, get her to the vet for spaying as soon as you can, so she doesn't have to go through another heat cycle, and have that urge to go outdoors. My second opinion, is if the kittens are still relying on mothers milk, and have not been weaning onto solid food yet, I would make sure that Mom cannot escape outdoors, and allow the kittens to wean, so that she can get to the vet for her spaying. After she is spayed give her a day or 2 to get her strength back, and let her back with her babies, so she can teach them proper scratching post behavior. If you can wait until the kittens are 10-12 weeks of age, and at least 2 lbs, and have kittens and Mom all spayed/neutered together.
I am a very strong advocate of pediatric spay and neuter, it has been practiced for many years, with more and more vets agreeing to early alter. Kittens can come into heat as early as 4 months of age, and a male can become sexually mature as early as 5 months of age, and a female cat does not have to be in heat to become pregnant. Cats are spontaneous ovulaters, and can become pregnant if mated by an unaltered male cat. If the 2 kittens are brother and sister, and money is a factor, get the male kitten done first, as it can take up to 4-6 weeks after neutering to get all the hormones out of their system, and the ability to still get a female pregnant for a few weeks after a neuter. If you can, young kittens do bounce back the same day after a spay and neuter, and you can't tell they ever had surgery.

Get Momma cat to the vet as soon as you can for spay, just to prevent another pregnancy, especially this soon after.
Congratulations on your instant fur family, it must be a joy to have Mom and her 2 babies. Enjoy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think that they are weaned enough...they ate plenty of food last night and drank some water...the food they are on is dry food for kittens. But last night -as all 3 were sleeping with my husband and I
...Zoe-mom woke up the kittens and then laid down for them to eat....I did ask the previous owner before I took them - she said that they had been working on it but they were not completely weaned. Zoe had 5 kittens total- all of the other ones have also been adopted out already. They eat and drink fine- and are very chubby. When are kittens normally weaned completely?
How long do cats stay in heat?
As long as the kittens are eating and drinking - and using their box - then I wouldnt think that they actually need moms milk....??? But unsure- never had kittens this young before (except Bella..I still miss her
) I got them home around 4pm yesterday- and Zoe woke them up around 2am this morning - do you think that maybe she was hurting - like we do when we produce milk and there is no baby to feed?
IF by chance they do still need moms milk - would it be ok to still get her spayed and rely on KMR?

Thanks for your replies- it really helps!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes its VERY possible she is in heat. That's probably the reason she is talking a lot and wanting out so much. Schedule the spay with your vet ASAP. You can spay her when in heat; just that it might be a little more costly.

My rex queens were nursing kittens till 3 months many times. Just cause they are eating solid foods, doesn't mean they don't nurse. When mom has had enough of them, she will wean them

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok...well yesterday when I got home I expected to hear the samething....but I didnt- I mean yeah she did talk - but not like Sunday. My fiance thinks that maybe she was doing it b/c she was in a few enviroment and wanted out so she could go back to her old home.
I was told by someone yesterday that when a female cat goes into heat that they "spray"....is this true? I figured if anything it would be a male cat that would "spray".....can I get some answers on this one....

Thanks!
*Will post pics later this week of all of them*
*I need help naming our little boy (black and white), he is very active and playful...any suggestions?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its easier to pick out names if you have a picture

And yes some females in heat spray, others won't - not an indication of being in heat. Just keep her INSIDE till she is spayed!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to answer a couple of your questions that jumped out at me and forgive me if I'm repeating answers:

In my experience, my girls go into heat as early as 3 weeks after delivery.

Heats normally last anywhere from 3 days to 1 week, some exceptions being 10 days. A heat can cycle anywhere from 2-4 weeks apart.

A kitten is considered fully weaned when they can eat and drink by themselves and IMO is fully litter box trained.

Agree with GK on the spraying - some females do spray when in heat - it's a way of advertising the fact that they are "available".

Hope this helps!

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this might sound crazy...but what does IMO stand for?

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they do eat on their own and drink water...and have been using a regular size litter box. I have seen Zoe-mom lay down and let them feed from her- should I try to stop them or ???... the reason I ask is b/c I did notice that when they do nurse - they dont eat their food or drink water....which I understand why - but would it be better if I stopped them from nursing and have them go to their food bowl?

mygirl919

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats go into heat every month? Or twice a month? Heck, I thought they were like dogs- every 6months....huh...didnt know that. Guess I need to have the surgery scheduled sooner than later.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In most cases, Mom cat will wean the kittens when she is ready. She knows best
They are a little family that has just been relocated. They need each other