Are you a blood donor? And if so...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...What type of donation do you do? I've been doing whole blood donation every eight weeks like clockwork for almost thirty years. It doesn't worry me much, because nothing comes back into my body.

But last year, when they had a desperate need here for my type (A+), I went ahead and started doing "double red" donations, because that helps several more patients than a straight whole blood donation. In double red, they separate the elements of your blood and return some of them to you, along with some anticoagulant medication... and I don't like the idea of anything coming back in, because of course that opens the possibility of trouble, some kind of contamination in the anticoagulant, who knows... but I've been doing it anyway.

Now they want me to start doing platelet donation. As I understand it, that involves the return of parts of your own blood, plus the anticoagulant, plus some additional fluids of some kind -- and instead of waiting four months to become eligible to donate again, you can donate every two weeks.

Obviously, that would benefit many more patients than I can help now, and that would be great. But it would also drastically increase my exposure to potential problems, and I'm just plain scared of it.

So my questions are...

1. Does anyone have experience with blood donation, either as a donor or as a blood draw technician? I'd love to know what you think about the process and its safety.

2. If you've ever worked in a draw center or a blood lab, what is your feeling about the sterility and safety procedures involved? At the place I go to here in Plano, I often feel extremely doubtful of the very young, very cavalier technicians they hire. They're usually too involved in their personal conversations, or in the soap operas on TV, to even make eye contact with me. I'd feel a lot better if they concentrated on what they're doing, but... am I just being oversensitive?

3. Does anyone know of any cases of infection or trouble of any kind related to blood donation?

Thanks for any insight you can provide...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'd love to be able to donate blood, but, since I'm severely anemic (have been for years), I can't. I'm O-; O is the "universal" blood type; anyone can receive it, so I feel guilty that I can't help!

I think it's wonderful that you donate! Imagine how many lives you've saved

MargeCat

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its the American Red Cross assoicates doing the "blood draw" then you can rest knowing the DO know what they are doing, even if involved in convo. my ex SO does a double red each time hes able, and was doing the platlet thing.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do donate blood when I am able, sometimes I don't weigh enough, I am working on my third gallon of blood at this time. Sometimes my iron is low, but I eat raisins right before I go donate.

I have never done the double thing because I am not tall enough, nor do I weigh enough to do that.

I have a friend that does platelets and she loves doing that, she does it for babies.

I just donated blood last week.

I feel very safe when doing it.

It makes me feel better

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never donated
I am too nervous to get voluntarily jabbed.

I am an organ donor though!! So at least when I die, people can have my organs

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for donating blood. I worked for many years as an Oncology Nurse for a group at Medical City. I'm sure our patients have benefited from some of your donations over the years.

My kids started donating when they were old enough. They have always been healthy and we have no concerns. My daughter has been donating platlets every two weeks for two years. All of my kids are very healthy. I've donated for years with no ill effects.

Have you considered donating at a different location?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a donor but i have not donated in about 4 years. Apart from my tattoos (you have to wait 12 months for each) alot of big stressful things happened and it might be another while before i go back

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not donate blood now.I have a high liver enzyme level that keeps me from donating.I am on the National do not donate list because of it.
I use to donate all the time.I could fill a pint in a little over 2-3 minutes
My Dad had to have blood donated to him for his surgury.Unfortuantly, he had a TERRIBLE reaction to it.He ended up having 15 pints of blood and he broke out in a rash all over and swelled up bad.They said that it is a common thing though.He had blood/platelets both given to him.

I am A+

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I admire all of you who donate! I cannot as I don't weigh enough. (I am not quite five feet tall.) The one time I lied about my weight, I ended up light-headed and dizzy for two days.
I wish they would start a "half-pints for half-pints" program so that I could.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im type O- but I'm scared crapless of needles so I don't donate. I literally pass out when they take my blood for my annual "womanly" appoinment....another reason I hate dentists...... needles

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catfriend

I admire all of you who donate! I cannot as I don't weigh enough. (I am not quite five feet tall.) The one time I lied about my weight, I ended up light-headed and dizzy for two days.
I wish they would start a "half-pints for half-pints" program so that I could.
I know the feeling, I am 5 feet tall, and sometimes I weigh enough and sometimes I don't.

kerryn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would donate blood but can't, as every year for the past 4 years I have gotten a new tattoo. I think it been almost a year since my last, so I'll be eligible soon again (If I don't get another tattoo!)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They will not let me donate blood because of an unkown ongoing health problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, no, it's not the Red Cross -- it's a private non-profit company, the only other blood donation organization in the area, so far as I know. The Red Cross center is 'waaaaaay far away from me, but maybe it would be worthwhile to drive there, if they're more professional about it. Thanks for that suggestion.

MargeCat, yes, I do think about the possibility that I've helped save some lives, and it's a wonderful feeling! When my father had surgery for bladder cancer several years ago, he ended up having to take four units of blood... and because our types are the same and I had donated roughly two weeks earlier, I like to think it's possible that my father got a little of my blood! For a long time, we joked about him turning into a vegetarian...

Liza, thank you for the vote of confidence in the procedure and in the Red Cross. That's good to hear.

LSU, yes, my iron is often low, too... I've learned to take some iron tablets for a few days prior, and not to drink caffeine before I go in. I hadn't thought of raisins, though -- great idea!

Trout's Mom and Dixie, I understand... when I first started donating, I lived in Austin, and the organization that did it there used a tiny jab of anesthetic so the BIG needle wouldn't hurt. I got used to that, and then I moved up here where they just come at you with the big one right up front! AUGH!
It took some getting used to, but I find it helps to watch while they do it. That way you know exactly what's happening and when.

Mom of 4, I didn't know you were a nurse! That's great... I hope your patients never ran out of blood when they needed it. My heart breaks to think of that happening. And yes, I should at least try another location, if I don't switch to the Red Cross. I think there's a new one in Carrollton.

Tierre0, that is an unusual type! Good for you, making yourself available!

Dragoriana, you're right not to try to donate so soon after losing your kitty. When you're ready to go again, though, just be sure to eat healthy, take your vitamins, and schedule a day or two of relaxation afterward. You'll be fine!

Crittermom, I'm sorry your dad had such a bad reaction! I don't know much about the receiving end of the process, but for my dad, thank goodness, it went very smoothly. I'm so glad your father came out of it okay.

Catfriend, your "Half-Pints for Half-Pints" idea is GREAT! And a wonderful title! But as for you and LSU not weighing enough to donate... oh fine, just rub it in, why don'tcha!

Hmph. At least there's one advantage to being fat.

Duchess, my gosh, you've been exposed to Mad Cow? Or Creuzfeld-Jakov? You're okay, though, right?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could donate, my siblings do. One even gives plasma.
I have only one fear - that is of needles. I HATE them. I love snakes, spiders, heights, and all the other stuff that people have fears of, but needles I just can't handle well at all - not well at all...

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried to donate but every time they tell me my veins are too narrow. Not sure what that means exactly.
So glad you can - thank you for being a lifesaver

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I don't donate blood. I did it once back when I was 18. It was not a pleasant experience. It hurt....lots

As I got older I didn't donate because of fear of needles.

Now as I'm older and have been sick, I no longer have a fear of needles, but because I'm sick, tend to be anemic and on medications, I'm not a candidate.

My homecare cleaning lady is a blood donor. She actually attended some kind of ceremony and was awarded a certificate for having donated 100 times. She still plans on donating as long as she can.

As a nurse I know the need for blood products, but I also know that blood can only be tested for what we know to test for, and that there will always be risks of contracting some new and deadly disease that we haven't yet discovered from blood products. So because of that I refuse to have a blood transfusion even when I'm severely anemic and could benefit from one.

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I donate blood when I remember to. They used to come to my work regularly but they don't anymore. Somtimes I'll see a bloodmobile out at a shopping center and I'll donate then. When I was younger I donated every 8 weeks and I donated platelets once about 12 years ago. It was when they would have needles in both arms and you were hooked up for about an hour and a half. I hear it's not as bad now and I am thinking of doing it again.