Spay/Neuter...when?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So...I was at a pet store today where they had kittens that someone had brought in (their cat had them). I was talking to one of the employees there who told me that a cat should not go through the spay/neuter procedure until they are like 6 months old.

Is this true?? I am not up-to-par on this since Ashie was already done when I had gotten her and I was like 12 when we had gotten Angel back in 84.

Her thoughts were that doing it any younger would be like doing it to a 13 year old human before they even finished maturing and that could lead to undesirable behaviors.

Looking for any info anyone can give to me!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do all mine as SOON as the vet will do it. Usually by 12 weeks is best. As long as the kittens weigh 2 lbs they are good to go. Some vets are still old fashioned and will insist on waiting until 6 months old. This is ridiculous because the cat can become pregnant even beofre 6 months old. Also males can start spraying and marking and mating and all that stuff. I would do it around 12-16 weeks and not wait any longer.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sad and mad that someone dumped more kittens at a pet shop (far too soon I'll bet too). Kittens should be 10-12 weeks old and stay with mom/siblings until then. The "undesirable" stuff is NOT from spaying and neutering - its from lack of proper care/emotional/physical care.

Since its been proven that 4 month old kittens (male and female) can and do sometimes breed, you should be getting them done around 3 months. Some vets/shelters will do them at 8 weeks old (2 lbs in weight). I hesitate to do them younger then 3 months, but NO reason to be waiting around till 6 months old - with another female pregnant!

And the pet shop could care less who the kittens go to or if they are even spayed/neutered before they leave - all they want is dollars!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats were spayed/neutered at 6 months or later because that is my vet's policy. However, the current thinking seems to be that "early age altering" of cats between 8-16 weeks old may be a better method. New anesthetics now available make it safe to preform surgery on kittens of that age. I know that many vets are now spaying/neutering at a younger age. Here are a couple of interesting links on the subject.

http://www.catvet.homestead.com/EarlyAlter.html

http://www.sniksnak.com/stop_s-n.html

Are you looking for a kitten? I hope you find one to give a loving home.
Ashie would be happy if you did.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of as young as 8 weeks. Personally I chose to wait until over a year. Inside cat only.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
8 weeks & 2 lbs. Prevents any "oops" litters.

Around here though, stupid vets....won't until 6 months!
And that is why the HS is so full....

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do 6 mths or sooner if you can find a vet to do it sooner. Around here no vet would do it sooner than 6 mths, some no sooner than 9 mths. And to be honest I had planned to neuter Ping at 6 mths but I procrastinated and worried about the surgery etc. that I did not neuter him till he was almost or right at 10 mths old. And let me say even though he is an inside cat only I worried like no other that he would start spraying. And I knew if he started spraying it may never stop. After 4 mths of constantly worrying about that I finally had him neutered.

Even though I waited longer than 6 mths I still recommended 6 mths or earlier. Because you don't wanna have to worry for mths on end whether or not they will go into heat, will they sneak out and get pregnant, will they start spraying, if so will he ever stop if I do get him neutered etc. Its a terrible way to spend mths. So yeah I recommend the earlier the better. For health and piece of mind.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cococat, please do have a rethink about your not spaying till a year old policy - with males, you are risking the fact that they will start spraying and may not stop, and with females, you are increasing their risk of mammary cancer later in life - if they are spayed before their first heat, they are 200 times less likely to develop it, and it is linked with unbred heats, as is pyometra - I know pyo is rare in younger cats, but it does happen. My vets will spay at 4-5 months old, which I am happy with, as I dont like the thought of babies having babies - I have a 10mo here who has already had babies, and they shouldn't have to go through that at that age, and the vet has known farm cats pregnant at 4 months old.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Around here they won't spay females until 5 months old. My vet recommended waiting until my male was 9 months before neutering him. His argument was that he wanted the urethra to be as mature and long as possible before neutering because he said that that way if he got bladder crystals, they have less of a chance of getting stuck. I'm not sure if this is actually logical or not. He will do it at 6 months for outdoor cats or ones who start spraying, but he recommends to keep them inside and wait until 9 months.
Personally I'm skeptical on the whole 8 week old spay/neuter thing. I think its a great idea to help control the population and I know that younger animals do heal much quicker, I just don't know if I'm for it. I think it might be just because its a new thing so we havn't been able to see if there's any long term effects yet.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate this topic, as I was debating the issue myself on my 8 week old Zoe (have yet to weigh her, will this morning). After reading, I think a good compromise age would be 3-4 months. I think I'll wait another 4-5 weeks before I take Zoe in to be fixed...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before early spay/neuter, I've had males done at 8 or 9 months old with no spraying problems (before or after). But its better to have them done as early as possible. Too many females are "accidently" getting pregnant cause people wait too late.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 4-6 months is ideal, but if you have a vet experienced in early spay/neuter and willing to do it sooner then that's good. Personally I've always been anxious to get mine done sooner rather than later due to having 2 boys and worrying about dominance issues and territorial marking. When Jaffa was a kitten I had his brother Magpie too and I was worried they'd start to fight with each other or spray if I left it too long. Then when I got Mosi I knew he'd need to be done sooner rather than later as he's a dominant cat and I didn't want a testosterone fuelled kitty challenging Jaffa. Both were done at 5 months which is about as early as most vets will do it over here.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With regards to early spay/neuter, it has been around for about 20 years, so certainly enough time to know the long term effects. THere is a rescue near me who neuters everything at 8 weeks old, and they have been doing it for 15 years - they kept one of hte original cats and he had no issues from it. From a rescue point of view, it is the only way to 100% guarantee there will be no unexpected pregnancies.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

With regards to early spay/neuter, it has been around for about 20 years, so certainly enough time to know the long term effects. THere is a rescue near me who neuters everything at 8 weeks old, and they have been doing it for 15 years - they kept one of hte original cats and he had no issues from it. From a rescue point of view, it is the only way to 100% guarantee there will be no unexpected pregnancies.
I don't think I could have said it any better. My personal quote for everyone would be early alter, early alter, early alter. IMO, it is much easier on a kitten than it is when they are older, the other benefits far outweigh waiting.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

it is much easier on a kitten than it is when they are older, the other benefits far outweigh waiting.
I agree, they come home from the vet bouncing around as usual. When they are older it takes a bit longer for them to recover.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just wish I could convince the rescue I foster for - or their vet!! Neither of them like the thought of operating on babies - yet we have had a hernia op done on an 8-9 week old kitten this year, they weren't as bothered by that!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

i just wish I could convince the rescue I foster for - or their vet!! Neither of them like the thought of operating on babies - yet we have had a hernia op done on an 8-9 week old kitten this year, they weren't as bothered by that!!
Especially for the boys since it's such a quick, simple procedure!!!!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Some vets just will NOT change their mind, it can be so frustrating, I can imagine. Have you taken up any of the materials that Dr. Susan's site has on it for pediatric spay and neuter? I am sure you have done all you can, but I just wanted to mention it as an option. There is only one vet I have changed their mind on doing the procedure, after reading Dr. Little's materials.
Just from a little over 5 years ago, when I began breeding, many vet practices have went and begun doing early altering here in my state. I know of quite a few vets in this state, especially in the Oklahoma City metro area that will do it, the charges however can be a $200 difference, depending on each practice.
The rescue organization we volunteer with, their vet also will NOT touch a cat or dog for altering until 6 months of age. That is one of those..."here's your card" moments.
It is so nice to see many of you supporting early age altering, and for those who are still skeptical, or have had those myths that a cat may not grow as normal because of the lack of hormones, or the males urethra is smaller, if you go and read the actual studies done by some of the most accredited vets, you will see studies are showing the myths are wrong, and they are showing the benefits to our kittens as they grow into adulthood.
For those thinking of waiting until a female is a year old, I can say I have been through pyometra with an 11 month old female, and I have 2 friends that have been through it with kittens much earlier than this. Pyometra can obviously strike those female who are not spayed at anytime, or at least that is what my opinion is, so the earlier you get your cat spayed, the earlier you can know that your female will never have pyometra or any other uterine infection or cancer, you can also know that she is at a much, much slighter risk for mammary cancer or infection. The hormones that make a female cat want to be bred, and try to escape the outdoor, (even if they are not a typical outdoor cat), will try to esacpe, and that will stop that type of behavior.
Of course the some of the same can be said about neutering a male early, I can show you plenty of adult males who are full grown, with never having a sign of an UTI, and they don't have that urge to go outdoors, they haven't sprayed, and I know they won't get testicular cancer, because the vet removed them!!
There is a lot of great information on the web about early altering, the more we educate each other, and yes educate our own vets with proven materials, wrote by other vets, we can only help this country and others move forward with a procedure that has proven itself time and time again to those who are familiar with it.
Anyone who knows the overpopulation of cats and dogs, this is one way to help and become one more responsible.
If you have a stray in your neighborhood, get her and her babies spayed, yes I realize money is tight right now, with many of us, but if it something you can do, then it helps just a little. Some of your neighbors may be overannoyed with stray cats, they may want to help you with the money portion.
I am off my speuter box now. I just see the benefits, and want to share my experience.