Your Kitty's Gourmet Feasts/Preferred Brands

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was curious on everybody's opinion on this subject...

What is your cat's brand of food/what do they like best? I have fed Purina for all my 13 years to, probably, over 50 kittens. They have all matured very, very nicely, being strong and healthy, energetic and able, with lush, healthy coats and seemingly strong immune and digestive systems, no problems. In fact, come to think of it, I don't think we have ever really had a sick cat! Sometimes a little cold, but that's about it. We've fed indoor cats, outdoor cats, wild cats, docile cats; they are flourish under it's nutrition! It may not be the most highly recommended/scientifically researched/vitamin enriched formula out there, but all of our cats do excellent on it, so I see no reason to switch to a "higher-quality", more expensive food. We feed the kitten formula to our babies in the spring, the all age formula to our momma kitties, and in a couple months will be switching to the indoor formula for Zoe.

What 'gourmet feast' does your cat recieve? Do you feed your dry food just alone, do you feed with wet food (if so how much), do you use some of that new-fangled cat gravy to put over food, sprinkle it with catnip, etc? I've heard cows milk isn't good for kittens, but really we have never had problems with it. All of our kittens have urinated and pooped well; no constipation or diarrhea complications, no discolorations of the poop or urine. And like I mentioned above, all of our cats have always been as healthy as possible. So when the kittens are little, we warm up milk with kitten food, so it's nice and warm and the chow gets soft, and feed it to our kitties. At about 7-8 weeks, we start feeding dry. Zoe just eats dry, though we may have a "specials" night once a week, like on Saturday nights or something, when she gets a gourmet feast!

Just curious of your own opinions (and you're kitties!). Thank-you in advance for any responses!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats will eat anything and everything you put in front of them it seems. But they get Premium Edge Adult cat food and very occasionally a can of wet, whatever i happen to have laying around. Sometimes they will break into the cabinet with the crappier brands that people give me. It must be like dessert for them.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my three cats have feline chronic renal failure, so they all eat Purina NF canned kidney diet. They also get Hills Science Diet Feline Adult canned food with Aluminum Hydroxide gel powder added to control phosphorus levels. For treats, they get Hills k/d dry food (with phosphorus binders) but only 1/8 of a cup, once or twice a week. They all are playful, healthy, active and have good appetites. They have gorgeous coats and their renal numbers have been very stable for the last 5 years on these foods. I don't anticipate any changes to their diets. I was very relieved to find that none of the foods that my girls eat were affected by the food recalls.

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in a bit of a spot answering this one. Before I brought Punkin home, Sneakers was fed Wellness - Adult Cat - dry. In the morning and around supper time, he would get a thin sliver of canned Wellness - any flavor and he's happy. (I wish I didn't have to give him the can because I often feel like a slave to the clock - oh no, can't go out to dinner just yet, have to feed Sneak his din-din!
)

When Punkin came along, he refused to eat the Wellness, even mixed in to "his" food - Purina One Indoor formula. Sneakers, however, absolutely loves the Purina, so we switched to that.

Sneak still gets his canned yummies twice a day. Punkin - he's never had can - doesn't get any. He doesn't seem to mind.

My problem, though, is that since Sneak switched over to Purina, he's getting gunk in his tear ducts. He never had that with the Wellness - which is why we had him on the Wellness.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Hope it helps.

Deb

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Royal Canin Beauty & Fit or Special 33 for dry. Friskies canned. They also get some of whatever meat we are having for supper added to the canned food - this may be chicken, beef, egg, etc. This is their "extra treat" along with cheese samples too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know there are so many different brands of catfood! How did you do use, and why? I just use Purina because it used to be the only thing they had where we lived (we lived an hour from any place you could get more than bread, milk, eggs and Purina cat food
) and we just never stopped using it, and it works well, so we just never changed. Our outdoor cats actually get fed dogfood, whatever we're feeding the dogs at the time, it's usually a middle-of-the-line dog food, and perhaps surprisingly to some of you, our cats flourish excellently on it. Never had a sick cat, ever, just like on Purina cat food... maybe it's because we're not exposed to "town stuff" that other cats have and that we humans drag in... Since we live a half an hour from town.
I think I'll start giving Zoe some treats... Mom doesn't think she needs treats, but I spoil all my babies! From Wyatt (my horse), to Tucker (my dog), to Sassafras (my hamster), and now Zoe! But I convinced her to let me get some "Special Kitty" treats. They were on sale for 10 cents a bag! They're not crunchy really, but not soft and chewy. She seems to like them, and the ingredients are safe, maybe not 'enriching', but safe and she seems to really like the taste. Next time I go into town, I'll stop by PetCo for catnip and see what they have in the way of wet and chewy treats, which I'm sure are more enjoyable to a cat.

G

ghostuser

My kitties currently have a mixture of Spa Select Indoor and Fromm Duck for dry. They barely touch it, just a bite here and there in between can feedings.

The cans vary a LOT right now, as Chase recently threw a fit and stopped eating the cans he was on for awhile. So he's getting switched up between Felidae, Evanger's Pheasant, Fromm Tuna, Solid Gold Tuna, the Wellness ones that have a meat and a fish and are grain-free (he won't touch the ones with no fish), Nutro Natural Choice (all flavors, focus on non-fishy), and the occasional Pro Plan Selects or By Nature cans. (I don't know what I'd be doing right now if he hadn't decided to like pate type cans again out of nowhere..)

Both their coats are in good shape, they're both healthy, and the higher quality foods are really helping keep weight on Chase. He loses weight rather easily, which is so weird after fighting to get his weight down for so long when he was eating Purina ONE. We switched them off of that and I started learning more about pet nutrition when that started making both cats throw up constantly out of nowhere, actually.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ping get Timber Wolf Organics Serengeti dry and Eagle Pack canned.

Of the TO he gets 1/2 a cup per day. And the EP gets 2 servings a day that equal 1/2 a can. So one 5.5oz can last 2 days.

He does very well on this better than he did on other stuff.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutro natural choice and Wellness core mixed .... for dry

wet well the current kitty will only eat nutro , wellness, cal natural and eagle pack wet once in a while ... her treats are cheese shredded , raw meat ( or the premade that her sis the dog eats) and wildside salmon

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm hearing alot about the Wellness catfood, wet and dry. Is this a really good brand and why do you like it? I'm considering the canned for Zoe treats.

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I Free feed Wellness Core, and Wellness wet as a treat in the morning and evening. I used to use Chicken Soup, but with the grain scare switched.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I'll look into some Wellness canned food (if it's not too expensive) for Zoe's treats, I think she'd enjoy that in the morning.

What are ya'll's opinions on Iams or Eukaneuba, kind of middle-of-the-road brands?

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For dry foods i have 3 brands

Nutro natural choice indoor care- all 3 will eat this

California Naturals- 2 will eat this

Orijen[which is a Canadian grain free]- 2 will eat it

Wet foods, before the recalls, max & nutro since that happened i mostly use purina proplan but also use the odd fancy feast, they will only eat cuts n gravy foods period.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed Wellness Chicken and Rice and California Natural Chicken and Rice drys. The only wet they will eat in any quantity is Meow Mix market selects. They will eat a little of the Wellness Chicken or Turkey. The Wellness and California Natural dry will cost more than the Purina but they probably won't eat as much of it so the cost difference won't be as much as it first appears to be.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed my cats Purina One for 9 years with no problems. Last year I fed them Royal Canin special 33 with no problems. I currently free feed them California Natural and Friskies wet once a day with no problems.

I would like to feed them Eukanuba as I believe by-products are important for a cats diet. Please no lectures on this I have heard it all and this is how I personally feel. I feed Friskies canned because I do feel canned is best but I have a hard time getting my cats to eat canned and I just can't waste food and money on higher quality brands when they won't eat it.

For treats I feed cooked meat or raw chicken breast.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

I think I'll look into some Wellness canned food (if it's not too expensive) for Zoe's treats, I think she'd enjoy that in the morning.

What are ya'll's opinions on Iams or Eukaneuba, kind of middle-of-the-road brands?
My middle of the road brands that I feed or would are Nutro , Natural balence , Royal canin and Solid gold

I avoid foods with the word chicken by products or meat by products or poultry by product s ... as these are cheap protein sources of varing quality ... they can be head, feet ,intestines, undeveloped eggs ... I prefer no corn , wheat or soy but some cats do fine with these
Originally Posted by kitytize

I fed my cats Purina One for 9 years with no problems. Last year I fed them Royal Canin special 33 with no problems. I currently free feed them California Natural and Friskies wet once a day with no problems.

I would like to feed them Eukanuba as I believe by-products are important for a cats diet. Please no lectures on this I have heard it all and this is how I personally feel. I feed Friskies canned because I do feel canned is best but I have a hard time getting my cats to eat canned and I just can't waste food and money on higher quality brands when they won't eat it.

For treats I feed cooked meat or raw chicken breast.
I would suggest raw or cooked organs to you for GOOD QUALITY meat orgin by products... that way YOU know what they are REALLY eating

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my boys like:
nutro natural choice senior dry
for wet they like friskies (in gravy) and fancy feast the best. they have gotten pretty finicky about meow mix pouches, so we're phasing them out.

i know there is better out there, but they won't eat the better wet foods. since raven has been diagnosed with cancer, i've decided i just want them eating consistently. i'm not worrying about changing his food anymore, he does well on the food he gets now.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only problem I have with Purina is that I've heard some cats eat it and just get fat, that it doesn't have alot of nutrients. We've only fed Purina to kittens, and just for a couple months. I'll see how Zoe does on it... if she starts getting a little chubby, but isn't eating alot, I'll look into switching. I think I would like to look into Wellness or Nutro for dry, and just for treats, I'm thinking about Wellness, Fancy Feast, or Friskies for the wet/canned.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like Felidae Chicken and Rice wet food... The kitten liked Wellness wet food as well! As for their dry diet they LOVE EVO, they also were very fond of Nutro and Wellness! Im sticking with the EVO for awhile because they have finally adjusted to it and they just love it! I plan to reintroduce them to wet a little (had to quit the wet for awhile because they were getting sick from it, in combination with the EVO dry)! AS for treats they love Kookamunga Cat Nip treats!

PS...Im not a fan of Purina because the first ingredient is by-product! My older cat was on a Purina diet when I first got him, I switched him off quickly!