Staying ahead of Freeway...the kitchen

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have titled this "keeping up with Freeway", because I don't know if I'll ever be able to stay ahead of the little guy.

In the last couple of days, Freeway has discovered that he is now getting strong and agile enough to get onto the kitchen cabinets pretty much whenever he wants to, and not just when there is something close to them to climb on. And this has created a new set of problems. He is totally unaware of what a range top can do to a kittens feet. I have a flat, glass top electric range, and even after it is turned off, the glass top retains heat for a good long time. I have some of the tin decorative "burner covers" to put over the elements when they are not in use, but if I try to cover them immediately after I use them, the leftover heat causes the paint on the covers to blister and the tin to warp.

So, I went rummaging through cabinets and managed to find an assortment of glass pot tops that no longer have pots to them (either I burned them up, or lost them, or the handles broke, or whatever).

The glass lids will not warp, I can see through them to notice if I turned on the wrong heating element (which I do quite a bit), and Freeway won't get burned. The lids WILL get hot, but not hot enough to burn. And if my mom comes over, I can just set the lids in the dish strainer and it looks completely normal

This should do as a fix until I convince Freeway that he's not to be on the kitchen counters (yeah...right)

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats do that too, i'm always afraid that they will get burnt. Hes very cute btw!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Freeway

Don't worry - He'll only get near it too close once

I've had the same sorts of stoves and the cats have never burnt themselves thankfully

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
too funny...and he's very cute. I'm glad you figured out a way to keep his adorable little paws from getting burned.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup... it's only a small hop from the counter to the fridge!

What a cute little kitten... you've certainly got your hands full there.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I am LOVING these threads about Freeway. I always enjoy Jellicle Tribe stories, but this little cutie-patootie has stolen my heart somehow.
He has such personality, and besides that, he is completely adorable.

Secondly, that picture is SCARY - but I think that's a fantastic solution!

I'm looking forward to watching Freeway grow up!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great solution! He is just adorable. Had to laugh at mom coming over
Whatcha cookin' there? Looks yummy.

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a great idea! I have the same kind of flat range and it happens to sit right next to the back door. Michoud likes to climb up there and put his paws on the door knob to the back door and look out the window. So far he hasn't been burned, thank goodness, but I may just have to try the glass tops and see if they will help. Thanks for the post!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Great solution! He is just adorable. Had to laugh at mom coming over
Whatcha cookin' there? Looks yummy.
That is the sauce for what would later that day become a baked Rigatoni

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
baked rigatoni?! Mike I'm impressed!

Freeway is such a dollbaby! I have not had a problem with that, however I am always worried Louie will jump righ into the oven.... he always stands on his hind legs & sniffs about when I'm pulling hot things out.... I usually do it on one foot while pushing him away with my other foot....

I used to worry about my candles, but I've learned that they don't get too close to them, they go up & smell them, but I think they can feel the heat & back away...

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a funny picture! I understand you concern about little Freeway! I am always afraid that Sophie or Mollie will decide to jump up onto the stove and land on a still hot burner! I use the metal burner covers, but I also never remove the pot or pan from the burner (after it's turned off) until sufficient time has passed to allow the burner to cool down!
Freeway is quite the little athlete!

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about Freeway the other day. I read his story when I first came to the forum and told my husband about it... it disturbed him as he is also an animal lover.
Anyway, he is very cute and the glass lid idea is clever. We have the same kind of stove and our Ogo decided that she was going to try walking across while it was still warm...scared the heck out of her but her paw was fine. Funnily enough, she still tries to do it (you'd think she'd have learned?).. this idea will come in handy for me as well

On a side note, you are doing a wonderful thing for this little guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by VidaNova

aww what a clever idea!
Is freeway the little one that someone threw off a bridge?
Sadly, that just might have been what someone was trying to do. There is a bridge about 250 feet from where I found Freeway. It's a little hard to tell from this picture, but the dividing median here is about 12 feet wide, with retaining walls protruding out from each side.

Freeway was actually up on top of the center section of the wall, way to high for someone his size to have jumped, and all the walls are straight sided. He had to have been placed or pitched up there.