Munchkins & companions

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're thinking of maybe adding another cat, but are unsure. We wanted to know if anyone has any advice about how munchkins get along with other breeds. We'd like to get a shelter cat.

We have two munchkins, aged 3 & 4 years old, both male, both neutered. Munchie is an attention-seeker, a bit high strung at times, but non-aggressive lap cat, and Doc is a sweet, playful kitten-type. Even though they aren't blood-related, they're really like older brother (Munchie) & younger brother (Doc)

Still in the thinking-stage about getting another cat...it'll probably be a year before it happens, if it does.

Thanks, all!

P.S. Other factors include the fact that we'll both be starting our residency training next summer (unsure where yet; me -- surgeon; him -- neurologist -- or at least, we're 90% sure
those will be our specialties)...so we don't want our guys to get too lonely...apartment vs. house, etc. are other factors.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with it! I don't know about munchkins, so I can't advise...bet they're really cute though! I'm sure someone who is in the know will be along soon to offer some wisdom.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if you have 2 cats now, why add another? What are you hoping to accomplish? Since they get along now and are company to each other, I don't see why you'd add another cat at this time when you will both be residency training.

If you only had one cat, there would be a difference, but I don't see the problem right now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO if you have 2 cats now, why add another? What are you hoping to accomplish? Since they get along now and are company to each other, I don't see why you'd add another cat at this time when you will both be residency training.

If you only had one cat, there would be a difference, but I don't see the problem right now
It's mostly b/c Doc seems bored at times, and Munchie is a bit sedentary. So sometimes Doc will go looking for Munchie to play, but Munchie might not be in a playful mood, and then it's they'll have a mini-spat, and go their separate ways. This doesn't happen much, but Munchie's more of an introverted, furry pillow, if you will

We play with Doc, but don't want him to have an "unsatisfactory cat life"
(if that makes sense?) if he might be too lonely when we're at the hospital.

Really, it's because we think Doc might be happier if he had someone who can keep up with him.