Gnats!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the kitchen tonight I noticed gnats all over. Took out the garbage (didn't think it was that bad), washed the garbage can, cleaned the sink and have been trying to get all those I can. Now they are in the living area, too!

I tried looking online on how to get rid of them, but there are so many different types. Anyone know how long the lifespan is? I found one site that said 24 hrs, another said 2-4 months. I love critters but I don't want to be crunching/drinking them. They are even in the cats' water.

Doesn't look like they are coming from the drain. They seem to be everywhere!

Thanks

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, have I been there! They often come into the house hiding in bananas or other fruit, and if they get a foothold, they can drive you batty in no time. As for lifespan, I think it varies with different kinds... to me anything smaller than a fly is a gnat, so who knows?

You mentioned the drain, so maybe you already know their trick of laying eggs on the inside of a bathroom sink. They enter through the overflow hole and turn it into a gnat nursery! When I figured it out, I got a funnel and (with the drain closed) dumped baking soda down the overflow hole, followed by white vinegar to make it foam up. Then I slapped duct tape over the overflow hole. After ten minutes or so, I slipped the funnel back into place and poured near-boiling water down the hole. That seemed to do 'em in.

If you have live plants, the gnats may get into the soil... there are some soaps and some chrysanthemum-based natural pesticides you can use to get rid of them there.

The only other thing I can think of is to eliminate all sources of moisture -- even a damp sponge on the sink can be enough to keep them going.

Blecch! I hate those things!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you talking about fruit flies?

If so you can get rid of them very easy. I had a problem a couple of times and used a homemade trap for them and managed to clear out the infestation within 2 or 3 days.

Take a jar or a glass. I used an old jam jar.

Fill it 3/4 full with cider vinegar

Add 1 tablespoon of white sugar and mix well

Add in 2 drops of dish soap and gently stir so you don't make suds. The purpose of the soap is to break the tension on the top of the vinegar. Without it the flies can land and still fly away. With the soap they land and get stuck and sink.

No need to add a lid. Just set the open jar in the kitchen and wherever you have a problem and the flies will flock to it.

Depending on the amount of flies, you may have to change the solution daily.

Fruit flies can grow anywhere.... damp mops, drains, garbage, old fruits/veggies, basically anywhere there is dampness. If the problem is a drain, pour some bleach down it.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy do I know what you are talking about! I live in NYC and have found out there are several different types of gnats just by looking at them as they land in every drink and on every mirror! The dish soap trick will kill them but not necessarily attract them to begin with. Beer, over ripe fruit mixed with some water, in a container that you have a top to, something with depth, leave it out over night. Place top on if you see some in there and shake it up! Usually sweet bait, soda, fruit, juice, attracts them, regardless of type. The trick is to get the ones at present, they do reproduce like flies!
Good luck!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They could be phorid flies (drain flies). I had a bad problem with them last summer.

All you have to get is this hanging strip that emotes odours to the insects..its called "Vapona". You can get it from a pest control company.. here I getit from Abell Pest Control, not sure if you have that there.

It kills all flying insects..it is amazing stuff..you just have to sweep up their little carasses after
It is safe for use around pets and humans too. It was a godsend for me.

I would highly recommend it..the flies started dying within 30 minutes of bringing it home.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

The dish soap trick will kill them but not necessarily attract them to begin with. Beer, over ripe fruit mixed with some water, in a container that you have a top to, something with depth, leave it out over night. Place top on if you see some in there and shake it up! Usually sweet bait, soda, fruit, juice, attracts them, regardless of type. The trick is to get the ones at present, they do reproduce like flies!
Good luck!
As soon as I poured the cider vinegar into the jar the flies were flocking around me. They are attracted by the sweet vinegar smell because it fools them into thinking it's decaying food.

I was skeptical about the cider vinegar, sugar and dish soap but gave it a try. I was totally amazed by the results. And it's cheap too. No need to have rotting food around in order to attract them. And a jar of vinegar is more esthetically pleasing to look at in the living room than a jar of rotting food, hehe

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI...if these flies ARE phorid flies, the red wine/vinegar tricks won't work. They are different than fruit flies..and they don't really get too attracted to it..

BUT, in case they are fruit flies..that will totally work

Good luck! Flies are gross

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone
I am headed down to campus for a day of studying. Will set out a couple of glasses before I go and see what is there when I get back. These little critters are bothersome. Cats are looking at their water wondering what I am trying to feed them