???? About Cat/Allergies

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think that this is the right forum to put this in but does anyone know if there is ANYTHING i can do to my cat (bath,spray,etc) to help with an allergy to cats?
My son in law is very allergic to cats and will be coming for a visit. he will be taking meds but i am wondering if there is anything else besides a good vacuuming/cleaning i can do on my end, to help?
any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to cats as well, to the point of getting hives on my neck and face if I pet them. I'm not on allergy meds because they cost a lot and you get immune to them eventually. We have two cats in our appartment and as long as I give them a bath once a month I'm fine. I've been bad and really need to bath them soon, my eyes are watering and red and my chin has a hive on it.... Aw, but I love the kitties!!! Crazy doctors tell me the best thing to do is get rid of them, yeah right!

I bought our pet shampoo at Wal-Mart, because we got through so much and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money. It's Hartz brand and it's for "coat and skin." It really helps with the dandrif and I don't have allergy problems as long as they are bathed regularly!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Here's a few suggestions -

· Set up a cat-free zone, preferably the bedroom he is staying in. Your cat should not be allowed in this area for a while before the visit.

·Clean your home frequently, wiping down all hard surfaces. Invest in a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter, or use high filtration cleaner bags

·Brush your cat frequently. \t

·Invest in a HEPA air purifier

·Weather permitting, allow some fresh air in your home every day to clear out some of the allergens

·Bath your pet or wipe them down with distilled water. This reduces the allergens on their coat and skin.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this is weird, but i think my cat allergies symptoms improved after getting a second cat!

Munchie is the dander-spreader. He needs to be brushed frequently. We have hardwood floors that get swiffered. Also have two air purifiers, including an air-o-swiss airwasher, which was pricey, but has helped us and the cats, esp. when it gets dry in the winters.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a wipe that you can use on cats that might reduce allergic reactions. I think it is called Aller-pet. My allergies are pretty much under control and I don't do anything. I'm OK as long as I don't touch a cat then touch my eyes or face. That's when the problems start.

Good luck to you.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mcat

There is a wipe that you can use on cats that might reduce allergic reactions. I think it is called Aller-pet. My allergies are pretty much under control and I don't do anything. I'm OK as long as I don't touch a cat then touch my eyes or face. That's when the problems start.

Good luck to you.
There are the pet wipes, and also it is a great idea to give him a "cat-free zone" we all know nothing will annoy the feline types more than a closed door, but that would probably be the thing to give him the most relief. I am actually only allergic to one of my cats. Of course it is the one that wants absolutely no help grooming and insists on sleeping on my face
Still...not going to get rid of them anytime soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info. I am going to do as much as possible to get the bedroom 'cat free' but sadly I cannot do that to the rest of the apt.
Tomorrow I will go to the pet store to see if they carry the wipes.
And Minnie is SUCH an affectionate cat, too!! She is a true lap cat, even with strangers.
AND go figure.....the room that he will be sleeping in is the one the cat LOVES to sleep in! I have already closed it off and am vacuuming, cleaning, etc.
There will be only 2 days that he will spend alot of time in the house, the other days he will only be here to sleep, so maybe that's a good thing!