What's for dinner tonight???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to make my first attempt at Baked Ziti!!!
And will make a nice spinach salad to go with it. What are you having for dinner tonight??

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh lord! I am SO glad I saw this thread! I was supposed to get the steaks out of the freezer to thaw for tonight. Oops. Still have 2-3 hours before dinner so they should be thawed, right? Anyway, steaks on the grill, potatoes and salad. DH would eat that every night of the week for the rest of his life if he could. Can't really complain since he is the one grilling, but I'm getting tired of steak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh lord! I am SO glad I saw this thread! I was supposed to get the steaks out of the freezer to thaw for tonight. Oops. Still have 2-3 hours before dinner so they should be thawed, right? Anyway, steaks on the grill, potatoes and salad. DH would eat that every night of the week for the rest of his life if he could. Can't really complain since he is the one grilling, but I'm getting tired of steak.
oh i haven't had grilled steak in ages!!! that sounds yummy!!! what do you marinate yours with??

Originally Posted by calico2222

BTW, I LOVE backed Ziti! Can I eat at your place tonight??
absolutely!!!
it's my first attempt at it -i'll let you know how it goes later when i cook it!

i'm making mine with whole wheat Penne (instead of ziti- the store was out last night but it's VERY similar), fresh monzerella, shredded monzerella, and 4 cheese spaghetti sauce, and garlic, a pinch of other herbs, and onion, and for the meat- ground lean turkey

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Salmon filets with roasted leeks and tomatoes and on the side some potatoes w/garlic. mmmm!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

OK person across the water that doesn't know what this is
it's a casserole type italian dish. (very yummy!!!)

it has meat, spaghetti sauce (i'm using a 4 cheese type), herbs, fresh monzerella, shredded monzerella, parmesean, provolone, and pasta (it's supposed to be ziti- but the store was out last night so i bought penne instead - it's VERY similar.) - you cook the pasta first, and the meat (seperately). Then you mix everything together and put it in a casserole dish and bake it in the oven

this link has a picture of what it looks like - my recipe is a bit different. give it a try some time- it's wonderful!! if you want my recipe let me know!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Ziti-I/Detail.aspx

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It all depends whether Rob does the spring routine on the BBQ this afternoon. Time/weather/other commitments/etc have conspired thus far to leave him without adequate time to deal with that, so we have yet to BBQ this season. When he gets that task done, he has a commitment from me that the same day, as long as there is still time to do them, he will have ribs. Yes, that is bribery.
They would be accompanied by crusty bread and salad.

If it does not work out, the fallback position is risotto with garlic prawns.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

it's a casserole type italian dish. (very yummy!!!)

it has meat, spaghetti sauce (i'm using a 4 cheese type), herbs, fresh monzerella, shredded monzerella, parmesean, provolone, and pasta (it's supposed to be ziti- but the store was out last night so i bought penne instead - it's VERY similar.) - you cook the pasta first, and the meat (seperately). Then you mix everything together and put it in a casserole dish and bake it in the oven

this link has a picture of what it looks like - my recipe is a bit different. give it a try some time- it's wonderful!! if you want my recipe let me know!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Ziti-I/Detail.aspx
oo well I certainly like Italian food - thanks for the link

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oo well I certainly like Italian food - thanks for the link
no problem!!!! there are TONS of different baked ziti recipes online!!!! look around and try one out- it's soooo yummy!!!
if you want my recipe let me know.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd have to get penne pasta too - don't think we have ziti here - it looks much the same on the photo - so whats the difference - is it a longer pasta ?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have no idea. i am thinkng if the rain holds off to mke steve bbq..

but i think i will do some homemade sketti too....hmm

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I'd have to get penne pasta too - don't think we have ziti here - it looks much the same on the photo - so whats the difference - is it a longer pasta ?
the only difference i believe is the size and length bit it is such a small difference you'd never be able to tell it. so penne should work just fine
i couldn't find any ziti in our grocery store last night eithor- i think they had just about everything BUT that
but no problem! i don't mind substituting.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: omg!!! this stuff is amazing!!!!
I will definitely be making this baked ziti again

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Nice job Nikki!
thanks nat
i'll send some your way too
it turned out really yummy...and REALLY cheesy
(i added extra - haha my stomach will regret that later). it was pretty easy to make too! i'll definitely be fixing this again! I should have saved it for a night when i was going to have family over as this stuff will definitely feed 6-8 i think

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wild Ling cod and something else not sure what

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a late lunch of California Chicken Alfredo pizza from Mazzio's. Cheese and alfredo sauce
I'll be skipping supper..

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

.. I did not know there was actually a name for this
I make something similar and toss it in the oven, though I usually add yellow squash and/or zucchini when I can.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some pizza for the kids, and for me ---- a sandwich more than likely.