Is their a cat limit in your area?

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and have you ever been caught violating it?........

When we got Bindi from my dads ex girlfriend she was reported by a nosey neighbor and finded $240 by animal cvontrol.... the penlty saving a homeless preg stray and fosting the babies along with her three orginal housecats.

Here the cat limit is 3 per household, any more or less where you live.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No there is not. And that is odd that AC fined her for fosering a pregnant momma/babies. HOWEVER- if she was not registered as a foster home at your local shelter or another resuce that may be the reason she got fined. In our area- if you take care of a stray/fera/whatnot for 3 days- they are yours. So that might have been why she was fined- if she's not a registered foster home and has had them for more than 3 days- they might be considered her pet where she lives and yes, in that case since ya'll do have that law- that is likely why she was fined. I am truly sorry though- i hate that those AC officers were unkind to her- but they were likely just doing their jobs. With the animal overpopulation like it is- some areas are quite strict. That being said- once a month there is a court date where the AC officers in our area and the people they've taken to court/issued citations to can go to court and argue the ticket if it is unjust/ in the persons opinion. Perhaps she could go to court and explaine the situation to the judge before she pays the ticket and see if she can have the fine dissolved
Bless her for trying to do something kind by fostering those homeless animals!!! Perhaps she can also register with a local lisenced shelter/rescue agency so this won't happen again

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well in Spain they don't care a right lot, about cats, dogs any pets really..........
the animal rights groups are still fighting about bull fighting so I suppose bigger fish to fry as they say

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in the out of city limits now, so no limit on pets, but we do have to pay property tax on livestock and dogs, but not cats
. In town, as far as I know there isn't a limit on the number of dogs or cats but there is an ordinance against any livestock.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are limits here, unless you apply for and pay for a liscence. which I have. IMO its just an excuse for them toi get more money they didnt come and check my house or anything just took it and my money.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the UK some social housing schemes limit pets, but if you own your home it is up to you how many pets you have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found out about this when I ,et a stranger at work. I was bored and talked with her as I worked she told me that she has two kittens left, her cat was sadly one of the many who get out and have babies. Shes going to fix the issue though and really apperated my help, I refurred her to this site, as well as another friend in my program who was having some cat behavior troubles. Thankfully I didnt say to her what was on my mind though I did try finding her. So she never knew I was thinking of adopting from her in order to help her problem. I went to my dad told him about it and he said having four cats would be illegal here in St. paul.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Three dogs ( stupid since they dont care about lot size) and five cats is the limit here... accross the border it is 3 animals period( ie one cat one dog one bird you cant have anymore)... I am sub rural so technically I can have livestock( my place is too small cept maybe pygmy goats and pot bellies)

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of one, when they rescue animals from hoarders it is always on the grounds of mistreatment or neglect, never for having too many.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my building I have a limit of two.

The land lord doesn't care as long as there is no smell, and they don't mess up anything in the apartment.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

In my building I have a limit of two.

The land lord doesn't care as long as there is no smell, and they don't mess up anything in the apartment.
Glad the landlord doesnt mind since 8 bit likely should count as 10

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here the city ordinance says that you can only have 3 dogs and 3 cats living within the city limits. The exceptions are:if you are a breeder (i think u must tell them this though), if you are a rescue center (again you have to tell them this), your cat/dog had babies (but the babies cant beover a year old), and if you are petsitting. I live out of town so I dont have to follow these rules. But we have to pay insurance on our animals. So if anyone ever hits our goat we're insured...

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's no limit here! I used to have a neighbour with 21 cats, some people made complaints but it's a free country!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

accross the border it is 3 animals period( ie one cat one dog one bird you cant have anymore)
Check into when and who pushed that law through, I've read of HSUS doing similar elsewhere. Also, before you get a tort you might want to make sure any reptile is allowed. Apparently reptiles of any kind are being banned completely in some communities because HSUS intervention.

No limits on any animals here. This is very much a farming communities and such limits would be ridiculous. Add into the fact that people breed and use herding dogs on farms, limiting domestic 'pets' just doesn't work. No idea about the more urban areas aside from BSLs.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reptiles are allowed, no size limits evan ( which I find crazy that folks have 12 ft snakes in apartments on both sides of the border .. funny where I live a tiger would be fine... the border is another state
.... I will ask the rescue as she is over there

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have often wonder about the laws but never looked into it. I have heard of a limit on dogs based the lot size. Where would you find this information?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We are allowed no than three dogs over six months old or three cats over six months old or any combination of dogs and cats numbering more than four which are over six months old, unless a person is licensed under state law to operate a pet animal dealership or to operate a kennel.

I suspect it to avoid problems with having too many people with too many animals. There are a few people who can handle a large number of animals, but most people can't.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I have often wonder about the laws but never looked into it. I have heard of a limit on dogs based the lot size. Where would you find this information?
Your city hall or animal control should have this information. If you live in a larger city you may be able to find the information online.
Originally Posted by sharky

Reptiles are allowed, no size limits evan ( which I find crazy that folks have 12 ft snakes in apartments on both sides of the border ..
... I will ask the rescue as she is over there
12 foot isn't that large, considering when some species get 22-25 foot easily.
Within one person's ability to provide for, but not handle alone. It might be a good idea to ask and keep an eye on the laws.
In fact...we should all keep up on laws being passed concerning all animals.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Odd I just found information saying up to 12 dogs/cats on a property. I thought it depended on the lot size cause I had a friend that had 6 dogs and someone reported them. Hmm I guess it changed over the years.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my county there is a limit of 4 dogs with an unlimited number of puppies up to age 6 months and no limit on cats.