I guess I got duped.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cell phone is a LG CU500, and I was in desperate need (ok want) of a memory card for it. SO after pricing around, I found one on ebay for about 15 dollars less that what I could buy one in-store. The seller had 98 percent positive feedback, was a power-seller, I thought awesome!

Well...it arrived today, and my phone keeps saying "card not ready".

So, I poke it into my digital camera and the camera says "card not formatted". GREAT. I call the local cingular place and they tell me to call Cingular customer support and they'll tell me how to format it. I get in touch with someone who tells me that it CAN'T be formatted, and to call LG. LG is closed for the weekend so I guess I'm up a certain creek without a paddle.

I did some searching online, found that LG just tells you to call Cingular to format it for you!!
So I guess I'm out of pocket a bit of money. I've heard you have to sacrifice your right arm to get any money back from an ebay purchase.

This sucks. I was SO excited too. Live and learn I guess.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might be wrong, but my digital camera can format cards (its somewhere in the menu options). Maybe you could play around with that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I might be wrong, but my digital camera can format cards (its somewhere in the menu options). Maybe you could play around with that?
Do you think that if it does format it, it would be the "right" format for the phone??

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, most formatting just wipes the card free, but since you don't have anything on it, surely it can't hurt, right?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK!
I wasn't sure exactly what formatting the card does, so I'll give it a go! Thanks!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so my I stuck it in my camera, it pulled up the option to format it, I clicked continue. Then it said "formating will delete all info on the card, continue?" I clicked ok. It went to a "formating" screen for a few seconds and then went right back to "card needs formating". I tried it again and it did the same thing, so I guess its a faulty card.

Stupid woman on stupid ebay selling me a stupid broken card!!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he say in the listing that it was formatted? Did you pay with paypal?

If yes to both, then log back on to ebay and file a SNAD (significantly not as described). Paypal will take the money out of his account and give it to you once you have returned the item back to the seller with delivery confirmation - DC is VERY important.

If no, then pm me and let me know the details. I might be able to tell you how to get your money back. It's really not as hard as it seems, unless you paid with a money order.

Also remember if you want to return it for a refund, they will want you to send it back in the original condition - which it won't be if you format it.

HTH!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Did he say in the listing that it was formatted? Did you pay with paypal?

If yes to both, then log back on to ebay and file a SNAD (significantly not as described). Paypal will take the money out of his account and give it to you once you have returned the item back to the seller with delivery confirmation - DC is VERY important.

If no, then pm me and let me know the details. I might be able to tell you how to get your money back. It's really not as hard as it seems, unless you paid with a money order.

Also remember if you want to return it for a refund, they will want you to send it back in the original condition - which it won't be if you format it.

HTH!
Hey thanks...I'm sending you a pm!

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What brand was the memory card? Some brands are known for being problematic with many devices. Have you told the seller about the problem?

If you want a cheap memory card, I highly recommend www.newegg.com. They are great to buy from, and it can shock you how cheap SD cards are on there. Also when it comes to memory cards, a few extra $$ is worth it for a functional card from a good brand like SanDisk, Kingston, and Patriot.

Also be sure to check that the card is compatible with your device as they are now making more complex versions of SD cards that are not compatible with older devices.

I've purchased many many items from RAM to digital cameras from newegg, and highly recommend them to anyone.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

What brand was the memory card? Some brands are known for being problematic with many devices. Have you told the seller about the problem?

If you want a cheap memory card, I highly recommend www.newegg.com. They are great to buy from, and it can shock you how cheap SD cards are on there. Also when it comes to memory cards, a few extra $$ is worth it for a functional card from a good brand like SanDisk, Kingston, and Patriot.

Also be sure to check that the card is compatible with your device as they are now making more complex versions of SD cards that are not compatible with older devices.

I've purchased many many items from RAM to digital cameras from newegg, and highly recommend them to anyone.
The card was a ScanDisk, and was compatible for my phone! Thanks I'll check that website out.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the seller is really a power seller with all that positive feedback (and some manage to greatly inflate their status, etc) then she should jump at the chance to fix the problem before you do anything official-- have you contacted her about it?

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do contact the seller before reporting her. This may be something that can be fixed. I know nothing about these techie things- just that I need one of those cards myself. I wish my husband were home, maybe he could give some advice.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you checked your cell phone's web site? I don't know what LG's website is (www.lg.com - ?).

There should be a support area for your phone and then find the answer there.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

have you checked your cell phone's web site? I don't know what LG's website is (www.lg.com - ?).

There should be a support area for your phone and then find the answer there.
Yeah and unfortunately they pretty much pass the buck. I've contacted the seller and I am awaiting a response. I suppose we'll see how it goes from there.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I googled LG + cell phone + How to format memory card and this is the second result=

http://forums.mobiledia.com/topic57879.html

Does this help?
Thanks so much but unfortunately those instructions are for another phone and I can't find anything similar in the options in mine. Your search prompted this though:

Regarding the problems with microSD cards. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve read several comments on other sites about the problems with getting cards to work. The answer appears to be that the card must be formatted. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not sure if the LG CU500 can do this. It seems that others are putting their cards in a card reader and using their PC to format the card to FAT or FAT32. That seems to take care of it. Hope this helps.
I don't have a card reader on my computer, but my Dad does, so I may see if I can get it to work that way!