or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Behavior › Solution for cat always hiding.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Solution for cat always hiding.

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Connor is 10 years old and has always hid to some extent. Over the past 3 years it has gotten worst. He will only come around when it's just my Mom at home. He doesn't hiss or growl at visitors.

In a few weeks DH & I are moving in her house. I know Connor is really going to be stressed out with the changes.

Feliway diffuser would be too expensive for us since we are dealing with 3 floors. Someone recommend Bach Rescue Remedy but I am not sure how to administer this to a cat that hides.

What is the best solution for a cat that has many hiding spots on 3 different floors?

Here is the thread with pictures of the handsome boy.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129403
post #2 of 16
Well it sounds that obviously once he is in new home, he is going to want a "safe zone", a hiding place that is comfy and quite. I would create one for him in the area you first put him in, the best way to introduce cats to new homes is one area then slowly open it up. So wherever he is first introduced should be a quite, low traffic, room with litter, water and food with either a closet or furniture he will feel safe in or under. This way he doesn't panic in unknown territory and try to go somewhere he can't get out of.......
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
Well it sounds that obviously once he is in new home, he is going to want a "safe zone", a hiding place that is comfy and quite. I would create one for him in the area you first put him in, the best way to introduce cats to new homes is one area then slowly open it up. So wherever he is first introduced should be a quite, low traffic, room with litter, water and food with either a closet or furniture he will feel safe in or under. This way he doesn't panic in unknown territory and try to go somewhere he can't get out of.......
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. We are moving in where Connor already lives.
post #4 of 16
Question, in the past three years how many cats have been added to connor's world?
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
Question, in the past three years how many cats have been added to connor's world?
The first year none where added. The last two I had moved out with two cats, one he didn't get along with. It just seems to intensify over the years.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Ummm....any thoughts out there? I am hoping the weekday people might have an idea or two.
post #7 of 16
I wish i had more advice for you but i am an amatuer cat owner myself. I have a simular problem. My cat just likes to hide period. Every time i get on to him for jumping on stuff or move to quickly when he knows he is being mischeivios, he darts off to his hiding spot and does not come out till night. He usually stays under my bad and i really wish he wouldnt spend so much time in there.

Is there anyway to encourage a cat to stay out of hiding?
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
I wish i had more advice for you but i am an amatuer cat owner myself. I have a simular problem. My cat just likes to hide period. Every time i get on to him for jumping on stuff or move to quickly when he knows he is being mischeivios, he darts off to his hiding spot and does not come out till night. He usually stays under my bad and i really wish he wouldnt spend so much time in there.

Is there anyway to encourage a cat to stay out of hiding?
I wish we could keep him out of some of the hiding spots. Mom has sliding doors and he always opens them up. His favorite spot this month is the coat closet, way in the back. His other place is in the basement were the litter box is kept. There is a pinic table with a table cloth that he hides under. I thinking we will have to save up for the feliway. I am looking into cheaper prices now. Maybe my mom can figure out the best spot for one diffuser in her house. I really don't want to stock up until I know it is working. Amazon seems to have the cheapest prices and shipping cost but I have the worst luck with them.
post #9 of 16
So this stuff you keep talking about is suppose to make cats feel comfortable and come out of hiding?? It sounds expensive by the way you talk. Just curious how much is it and what is it supose to do?

My cat loves to hide under the bed way in the back where nobody can reach, or under the cabnet on the very top / back of my refrigerator. He is a goofball!

I wish he would come out and be more sociable. =/
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Feliway contains pheromones that duplicates the smell of a cat's natural scent glands. It has been effective for urine spraying, calming, anxiety, stress, fear, anger & deterring furniture scratching. Many people use the spray in there carriers just before a vet visit & when moving. The diffuser lasts up to 4 weeks.

The diffuser reaches around 650 sq feet as someone told me here. At my mom's house that won't cut it. They recommend using it for 90 days. The diffuser is around $25 and the refill is about 13-15$ each. The spray is also around $15 but you have to apply it numerous times a day. It does add up for a house this size but for an apartment it isn't as expensive. I found one place that has free shipping on orders over $100.

I have heard many great things about the effectiveness of this product just from this site alone.
post #11 of 16
Interesting. Lex definetly needs some of that. I have heard many good things about it as well. Cat crunk juice!!!
post #12 of 16
My Gweeky is a hider - it is just in his nature to hide. Does he come out when you are in his comfort area or does he hide when there are many people around? I find that if I sit on the floor near to where he is hiding and I ignore him but play with his toys he will come out eventually. It is important that you do it one on one and don't overwelm him, especially if he is as timid if he seems. Get him used to one person at a time. Even if you have to sit on the ground and read a book. Just spend quiet time in his vacinity. It will take time and effort (I know, I am currently doing it). My gweeky only comes out for me and then he still doesn't like being touched. But he does like having me near and playing with him. Patience and understanding his boundries are key.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adymarie View Post
My Gweeky is a hider - it is just in his nature to hide. Does he come out when you are in his comfort area or does he hide when there are many people around? I find that if I sit on the floor near to where he is hiding and I ignore him but play with his toys he will come out eventually. It is important that you do it one on one and don't overwelm him, especially if he is as timid if he seems. Get him used to one person at a time. Even if you have to sit on the ground and read a book. Just spend quiet time in his vacinity. It will take time and effort (I know, I am currently doing it). My gweeky only comes out for me and then he still doesn't like being touched. But he does like having me near and playing with him. Patience and understanding his boundries are key.
Nope that won't work with him. He just prefers my mother. He will walk around when he thinks we left but then runs the second he sees us. He really doesn't like my husband. I just ordered the feliway(2 diffusers) & the spray. The shipping was only 5$ and I found discountpetsupplies at Amazon to be the cheapest. When we first got Connor & Princess I was on spring break from college. They did ok for the first few months and that summer but when I had to go back in August, he just didn't want to be around me.

Mom told me he is also a sprayer. Over the years I thought I would smell it but always thought it was Lucky cause of his health issues. Then there was Buddy who was really sick and stalked. Now that those boys don't live there we can tell it's Connor spraying. I just have to get my mom to use the spray until we move in.
post #14 of 16
I would confine him to a floor or certain area for awhile to see his reactions. Even if it means he spends the rest of his life living in one or two rooms - let him decide. If he's a sprayer you really want to limit his freedom. You don't need him spraying the entire house again.

If you have other cats, be sure to keep a separate litter pan for the scardy cat to use where you keep him.

Makes you wonder what in his live happened that he's so scared of everything???? Most males are pretty outgoing.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I would confine him to a floor or certain area for awhile to see his reactions. Even if it means he spends the rest of his life living in one or two rooms - let him decide. If he's a sprayer you really want to limit his freedom. You don't need him spraying the entire house again.

If you have other cats, be sure to keep a separate litter pan for the scardy cat to use where you keep him.

Makes you wonder what in his live happened that he's so scared of everything???? Most males are pretty outgoing.
Him and his sister were born outside & we don't think they nursed for long. She was pregnant again before we adopted them. She is finally fixed though. Too 4 pregnancies to finally catch her. The mom was living near my Mom's friends house and kept birthing in her backyard. She took in all the kitties and found homes for them. We think this is why they act this way. Princess isn't so bad now. She won't let me touch her but she will come up for treats or pose for the camera.

ETA: Mom will not allow a litter box other than where it is now. She is very stubborn but then again the cat is perfectly fine around her.
post #16 of 16
Michele, I don't have any of my own advice, but Helen (Bella713) uses herbal/aromatherapy type stuff for her cats.... PM her and ask her, I'd swear she said she uses lavander or something in their food.... and it calms them... she also has rubbed other herbal stuff on them... I think even Betsy (gingersmom) has used herbal stuff too on her cats. You can get it probably at Trader Joe's or some place like that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Behavior › Solution for cat always hiding.