Cat using box while you're cleaning it?!

asteff2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm curious to know if anyone else's kitty does this same thing. Everytime I'm in the middle of scooping the litter box, Leo just has to jump in and do his business
I understand if he absolutely has to go, but it seriously takes less than 1 min to scoop everything and pop the lid back on. It's almost like he's afraid that I'm going to take the box away and he'll never see it again! This is even more intriguing to me because there's a second box in the same room that he could use while I'm scooping the other. Usually I'm scooping the box quickly before I go to work or bed and don't have time to watch Leo do his business and putz around in the box.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think they want to leave their mark in the box to make sure it's still theirs. Ours do that as well.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Asteff2001

I'm curious to know if anyone else's kitty does this same thing. Everytime I'm in the middle of scooping the litter box, Leo just has to jump in and do his business
I understand if he absolutely has to go, but it seriously takes less than 1 min to scoop everything and pop the lid back on. It's almost like he's afraid that I'm going to take the box away and he'll never see it again! This is even more intriguing to me because there's a second box in the same room that he could use while I'm scooping the other. Usually I'm scooping the box quickly before I go to work or bed and don't have time to watch Leo do his business and putz around in the box.
Which would you rather have, what Leo is doing or what Persi does? Persi sits and watches me change the litter and when everything is clean jumps in to do his business. What exactly is going on in Leo's and Persi's minds? Is there any possibility this is all just coincidence or is this some kind of plan that they have devised?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and I really HATE it. Just got done scooping and was trying to add more litter and Charlie has 2 feet in the litter...........geezzzzzzzzzzzz

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats do the same thing.
In my case I think its a case of them wanting to be the first to use the clean litter box. You should see Sugar Packet's face when Tippy beats her! She cheers right up when I scoop it right after and she can be first in a clean litter box too.

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mcat

I think they want to leave their mark in the box to make sure it's still theirs. Ours do that as well.
I agree mcat. Especially when you have multiple cats. That's why even having enough litter boxes sometimes doesn't work. One of my female cats is the offender while I'm actually cleaning the box. She actually sits there next to me while i'm in the process and will try to "nudge" me out of the way to get in! Next, one of my male cats comes in, and will at least jump in if not pee in every clean box. Who knows what's going through their minds, but it definitely seems to be "territorial" in my opinion.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Princess does this. Every time I clean her box now, I take the lid off and begin scooping into the trash can and she runs over and pees in it, then she thinks she is going to cover it and flick litter all over

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mine do at the various stages of cleaning, during, and immediately following.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Bob and Pennie both want to watch and keep trying to climb in as I am cleaning. Then one will jump in and use it immediatly after it is clean.

I usually try and shut the bathroom door to keep them out while I clean or replace the litter. Of course this is not always successful

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chevy does this, and also loves to watch me clean it. He likes to watch me clean anything! What silly little creatures. I agree it has something to do with re-marking their territory.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seb doesn't do this but Daphne does! In her case I think she is interested in what I am doing (nothing like a kitten to make your every move monumental
). When she hears the litter, it reminds her she has to go. Funny kits!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blossom comes in to see what I'm doing when she hears me scooping her litter. When I'm changing it, she tries to get in before I'm finished. I use a different litter for my mice & she likes to play in the litter bag if its not closed properly.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Louie is a bucket pee-er....
He will pee in anything resembling a litter box or bucket type object... He has peed in rubber maid containers, Jasmine's toy box, the container I put the turtle in to feed it, a clear plastic shoe box, a plastic dish pan.... and even once in my pink trash can when I was taking the trash out before I could get the new bag put in....

Oh, and when I take out the old litter, and put a liner in, before I can get the new pail of litter from the closet he is in the box squeezing himself just to get a quarter sized drop in the pan.....
I usually change the box with either a hand or foot on Louie's forehead keeping him out of it the whole time!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest, Rocky, waits and watches until the fresh litter is in, then he'll jump right in and pee. I read somewhere that's what the "Alpha Cat" will do. (I have three cats in total).

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Gizmo won't try to go while I'm changing it but almost as soon as I finish he'll be right in there doing his business.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wesley always uses the litter box right after I clean it! I don't usually have an urge to use the toilet right after I clean it. Must be a cat thing!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

My oldest, Rocky, waits and watches until the fresh litter is in, then he'll jump right in and pee. I read somewhere that's what the "Alpha Cat" will do. (I have three cats in total).
Roxie does pretty much the same thing... She will sit by watching and waiting and as soon as im done pouring in the new litter she is in there so fast! She doesn't even wait for me to put the lid back on! She's our only cat but I think she is trying to show me that SHE rules the roost