update on Maddie...............

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My computer crashed, so I couldn't post and let you all know what the news is.

My adopted Daughters Mom called on Thursday night to tell me to get the paper.............there was an ad for a LOST Basset in it.I was heartbroken.Something told me this was their little girl.
But, I called and told them to meet me at my Vets office since I had an appt for her to be checked over.I told them to bring any pics they had of her, any paper work and to meet me.If she turned out to be theirs, I would hand her over.
She was chipped, so after scanning her, it was determined with the info they provided.......pics, AKC papers, and etc. that she was thier dog.

It turns out that she got loose about 2 weeks ago and they have been looking for her since then.She has a LOVING family with 2 kids, so that explains her love for my kids so soon.
I went straight to the girls house that gave her to us and confronted her about it.Turns out, that the one she got her from FOUND Maddie--who is actually Sophie--- out walking beside the road.

The kids are devistated and so are we.Sophie's Mom and Dad were so happy to get her back.There was a reward offered for her, but we declined it.I wouldn't want anyone taking my dog
.So, we gave her good bye hugs.........and walked away. I tell ya though, that was one of the hardest things I had to do.
So, my sage with a Basset is over FOR NOW!!
Shawn tld me and the kids, we will have one of our own to keep one of these days.
oh BTW, Sophie was actually a 2 year old girl also.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Tammy, I know it is hard but you also helped this family. In the end, you will be rewarded when it is time.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Major bummer for you, but awesome that you helped re-unite her with her family. Sorry to hear this...and yet, I'm happy. You know what I mean!

Where are you located, Crittermom? Maybe I could help you do a search for a pup or rescue basset...they're all over the place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in West Virginia........on the borders of Ohio and Kentucky.
I was going to scan the ad to show you all, but since my puter crashed and I have to re-install EVERYTHING, that would take to long.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOO HOO!!! Thank you.
Sophie was the PERFECT pup too.That's what made it so hard to give her to them.She was 100% housebroken,didn't chew,didn't destroy things,didn't yap/bark, played with the kids easy.I miss her sooooooooooooooooooo much and wish she was here with us still.
She had a cute little girl at home waiting for her.She was even in the wedding reception of her Mom and Dad.

She was obviously very loved and very missed.I know in my heart we did the right thing,but it doesn't make missing her any less.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww Tammy
What a bittersweet ending for you.

Its good for her to go back to her loving home..and at least you had the pleasure of meeting her

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree.She showed us what Basset love is all about.
Now, we are definatly hooked and can't wait to add one of our very own to the family.
My heart knows I did the right thing,but the pain is still there.
I'm just thankful that she is back at home, with her little girl that missed her dearly.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Tammy i am soo sorry hon!
but you did the right thing!

Hehe just want to add- if you come to my neck of the woods anytime soon we have 3 GORGEOUS purebreed basset hounds at our shelter at the moment
Tell Shawn you need to come here so you can get a new doggie
(also look in your local shelters as well- you'd be suprised how many bassets wind up in there!)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are looking around for a spayed female to add to our family.I know when the *right* one comes along, then we'll know.

(She is out there somewhere)
Nikki, I'd love to adopt one from the shelter there.If we lived closer than we would.

I keep looking for one here, but they are either not for kids or too far away.Plus, some of their fees are outrageous.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this little girl somewhat near you? She's a doll. Her name is Lucy. Young spayed female!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8480548

How about either of these two girls? They're former puppy mill puppies from Missouri, and are now around 2 years old. Both have been in rescue for their entire life. I for the life of me cannot understand how they haven't found a home by now.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=5823453

I realize these ladies may all be out of your way...I just want you to know that after searching there are A LOT of houndies out there in needs of homes in your general vicinity, if you're willing to do a bit of traveling.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww I know you must be heartbroken but you did the right thing. That poor family must have been missing her horribly. Hopefully they will take extra measures to keep her safe this time.

I am sure another angel will come across for you soon

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Is this little girl somewhat near you? She's a doll. Her name is Lucy. Young spayed female!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8480548

How about either of these two girls? They're former puppy mill puppies from Missouri, and are now around 2 years old. Both have been in rescue for their entire life. I for the life of me cannot understand how they haven't found a home by now.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=5823453

I realize these ladies may all be out of your way...I just want you to know that after searching there are A LOT of houndies out there in needs of homes in your general vicinity, if you're willing to do a bit of traveling.
I'm checking those sites now.I didn't even think to come back here and check this thread.SORRY!
And thank you for helping me in my search

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The second one won't work because
They are snugglers and have to go together.
I can't take on 2 right now.
I'm going to e-mail the first ones about Lucy though
I don't know how close they are to us

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about posting the pair...I didn't realize they had to go together. I should have read their ad more closely.

Lucy is a doll...hopefully you check into her, and she's somewhat close. My theory, is that a good houndette will be worth a bit of extra driving, if your situation allows it.

Let's see what else we can find here...

Here's Jezz...she's about 3 years old, and certainly looks UNDERFED. She should be much larger at her age. Looks to have a lot of white on her, although she's technically a mahogany and white basset.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8542250

Here's a "no name" female...they're calling her a mix, but she certainly looks ALL basset to me. If she really is a mix, and I question this, she's probably a bagel (basset/beagle mix)...but she sure as heck looks purebred to me. She's only a year-old, and she's quite lovely.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8565671

Here's Daisy. She's super beautiful, and has a sad story. She's only a year-old, and has already whelped 2 litters!!! She's a pretty tri-color, similiar to Rita. Poor young lady...she definitely needs someone to love her.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8565843

Hope this helps...

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know specifically where you are in West Virginia, but you mentioned you were on the border of Kentucky and Ohio...so I assume you're close to Huntington, WV?

If so, Lucy is only about 2.5 hours from you, in Berea, KY.

Daisy is roughly the same distance, except she's in Ohio.

Jezz is slightly closer in Kentucky, at slightly over 2 hours away.

The "no name" girl is in Zanesville, OH, which is also about 2.5 hours away.

So, in actuality, these lovely ladies are all relatively close!!!

Personally, I adore Lucy and Daisy...they are DARLING!!! I sure hope you can check into one of them. They would love to have you as their new basset slave!