Good companion for a Russian Blue?

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm the proud owner of 9 week old Russian Blue kitten, Shinya. I've had her for 3 weeks now and she's a little ball of terror but, has quickly become my favourite thing in the entire world. *laughs*

When she's a little bit older (probably around Christmas as I'll have 3 weeks off from university and I don't like leaving new kittens in the house alone to start with cause they get lonely) I want to buy a 2nd kitten. I'd always wanted a Siamese but although I hear they're a good match for a Russian Blue, they're quite hard to get hold of here in Japan.

Recently I've fallen in love with Abyssinians (there's actually a kitten I fell in love with today but, it's too soon for a new cat right now!) but I have no idea if one would make a good companion for my Shinya. There are other breeds I love too so, I'd be happy to hear any suggestions!

As a side note, I live on my own, have no other pets, no children and love affectionate cats who love being around their owner.

Thanks in advance!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I have to say Siamese cats are extremely affectionate, and they love being close to their human. I have 2 Siamese and 2 Bengals, and my Siamese always want to be held, and loved all of the time. They also like to sleep with me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask you how you got a Russian Blue that was less then 12 weeks old?????? Most breeders will not let them go under 10-12 weeks minimum. Is this a purebred RB?

I think a Siamese would work well. The Aby would be more active then either; the Siamese much more talkative then an RB.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually GoldenKitty, alot of breeders do let their kittens go before 10-12 wks. And shes in Japan, so its probably different over there... Than it is here in the midwest...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

Actually GoldenKitty, alot of breeders do let their kittens go before 10-12 wks. And shes in Japan, so its probably different over there... Than it is here in the midwest...
But 10-12 weeks is a WHOLE not different then just 6 weeks! They aren't even fully weaned by then, or they shouldn't be.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dont know about Japen but Asia in itself doesnt strike me as being very dog/cat friendly or people friendy for that matter. I think its a beautiful country just one with alot of problems.

An Aby might be too high strung for a russian blue, Maybe a Ragdoll would be better or a longhaired him, they look like siemese but are more laid back.

PS. Next time only buy a kitten that 8 weks or older that way they are weaned and dont get sucking issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Here in Japan kittens are pretty much ALWAYS sold this young. I thought it was crazy too because when I first had her, I mean.. she still is just a BABY. She hadn't even had her first vaccination yet (I took her in for it yesterday). Don't quote me on this but I think the deal here in Japan is "the younger the better". They get quite drastically cheaper once they get to even as old as 12 weeks and then it seems much harder to sell them and the poor 3 month old kittens are left in the petstore for a LONG time.

This is my first cat of my own so, I don't have much to compare to but the only thing I'd say about a kitten this young is that she really needs me around all the time because she gets really lonely even when I've just got her in a different room so I can eat dinner!!

ANYWAY, I LOVE Ragdolls and himelayans a lot too, but I heard that Ragdolls at least are quite selfish and would be a bad match for a Russian Blue though I may have been misinformed! *laughs*

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, my russian blue is pretty high strung so i would have gotten a bengal or a aby if i did it again. not that i would change luxor for the world. . . .but he's a pretty good match for stoli...luxor is an egyptian mau

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

die_to_xxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Shinya seems pretty highly strung right now too but I think that's just the kitten in her. xD She might mellow out a bit with age, but right now I think that a nice shy cat would just get it's poor head stomped on by her right now!!!
I guess I'll have a re-think nearer the time when she's a little older.

Thanks for all the advice!