It's time for Ferris...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...to go in for a lion cut.

I can brush and comb his back, neck and sides, but I am NOT allowed to even THINK about putting a comb to his belly or tail, unless I want to lose a finger or a hand.

His belly fur is SO long and fluffy. I've found a matt here and there on his belly that I was able to remove with my roomie's help (he distracted him, I trimmed carefully) but last night I discovered that he has more matts than I am going to be able to do something about.

So it's come up on that time. I'm moving in 8 weeks, and have just added a new cat to the household - boy oh boy is this going to stress him out. He is TERRIFIED of being put in a carrier, and I have no choice - I can't let him get more matted up.

I'm calling our vet this morning to find out if they do it there or if they can have someone come in - he is going to need to be sedated, I think. Poor boy...
He is going to hate me...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Poor thing - sending him calming vibes. Once the cut is done, he will feel better and will eventually forgive you.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Poor thing - sending him calming vibes. Once the cut is done, he will feel better and will eventually forgive you.
I agree. Tedi was put under when he got his, but he was also gett his teeth cleaned so it worked out either way. He feels so much better. He is also more loving and more active.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would a mobile groomer coming to the house help>>>??

I use rescue remedy for Zoeys grommer visits.... I just saw calming moments for cats and its a powder form, the dog version works wonderfully ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Would a mobile groomer coming to the house help>>>??

I use rescue remedy for Zoeys grommer visits.... I just saw calming moments for cats and its a powder form, the dog version works wonderfully ....
Ferris is already on calming flower essences, and he still won't allow his belly to be touched - he'll need to be sedated.

I'm waiting for the vet to get back to me. They understood and didn't give me a hard time. I told them that it's not me, it's him. I can and do brush Ginger's long belly fur, and while she doesn't like it, she doesn't turn into popcorn with razorblades.

And I can't let Ferris matt up underneath - I'm not a bad meowmy.

I'm putting Ferris' carrier into the living area so he'll get used to it a little bit - I don't know what date we can get the appointment for. But I'm going to know enough to use gloves this time to get him into the thing.
I learned my lesson last time.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww bless him, well you are doing the right thing of course, the professionals certainly know what they are doing
and a great idea about leaving his cat-box about, you never know he might venture inside

Do take some photos of him with his new hair-cut - well thats if he'll let you

lots of soothing (((((
vibes
))))) whizzing over for Ferris !

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Do take some photos of him with his new hair-cut - well thats if he'll let you
Oh you KNOW I will - actually, I'm looking forward to seeing what he looks like nekkid.
I wonder how much of his plume tail will have to go? And what does his pot belly REALLY look like?

Stay tuned to find out!

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope everything goes all right at his haircut. So is he normally friendly as long as you arent brushing him?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

I hope everything goes all right at his haircut. So is he normally friendly as long as you arent brushing him?
Skittish, but very friendly and loving. Ironically, he loves to have his back zoom-groomed, as long as I don't touch his tail or go too far down the sides of his body.

He's a weirdo.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit as sorry as I am to know that he has mats and the vet trip will be stressful, I am looking forward to seeing the handsome Ferris with a lion cut

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnum loves to be groomed and it still looks like he will need a lion cut this year (he has had one in the past) as he is getting matted despite being brushed daily, so don't feel like you are a bad meowmy at all!

Magnum actually looks quite cute with his lion cut (and seemed to enjoy being cooler for summer too
) but his pot belly just asks to be tickled

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww poor guy... I'm not a fan of the lion cut but sometimes they are just better then the alternative. I hope he does well with it and doesn't get too stressed!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are scheduled to bring him in on Tuesday the 19th for his lion cut. I checked him again last night, and he has a bad one under one of his front legs that is starting to inhibit his movement - he's having a hard time washing his face.

Sedation IS required for him, so I'll be bringing him in for 8 a.m. I hope he doesn't hate me for it (getting him into the carrier is going to be really tough,) but I'm thinking he might find that it'll be a big relief after it's over.

Hopefully, we won't have to worry about it again for a year. It may become routine - my only concern in that case would be annual sedation. But this is about making sure that he is cared for to the best of my ability, and since he will absolutely not let me brush his belly, this is my only option.

Pictures WILL be posted in fur pics after his "haircut."

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie had to be "brushed" out this yr under sedation... vet used a different type " fast acting not long lasting"

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Skittish, but very friendly and loving. Ironically, he loves to have his back zoom-groomed, as long as I don't touch his tail or go too far down the sides of his body.

He's a weirdo.
he's not weird - Chip is the same way. if he were a longhair like Ferris, he'd be sporting a lion cut, too!
looking forward to pix!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

We are scheduled to bring him in on Tuesday the 19th for his lion cut.

Pictures WILL be posted in fur pics after his "haircut."
phew !!!!!!!!!!!!! thought I'd missed his hair appointment & photos
better schedule 19th in my diary then !!