Does this happen to anyone else?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I have recently switch schedules, so we can drive into work together. Let me explain several things first. 1. My husband is a very kind man. 2. He is NOT a morning person. 3. I am NOT a morning person.

We get our stuff together and head out to the car. Again everything seems fine. He turns the engine over, and then something odd happens. He turns into a raving lunatic. Swear words that would make a sailor blush spill out of his mouth, he rides other people's bumpers, and will run over little old ladies that get in his way (that's a joke, but I've seen him threaten it). We then arrive at work, my pale hands clutching my bag, breathing heavy, and he parks the car. As soon as the engine shuts off he turns back into my loving wonderful husband.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to be doing the driving, and he should ride in the passenger seat with a blindfold on as he drinks some coffee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I think you need to be doing the driving, and he should ride in the passenger seat with a blindfold on as he drinks some coffee.
Right, you tell him that. I've just never seen a person act like this. He's kind man that will do anything for me, but behind the wheel of a car he's.... well....crazy.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My BF can get road rage

He is also a kind man but he scares me sometimes when he is driving. He can have a short fuse at times and I think he takes a little to many risks to try and "proove" he has the right of way on the road.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby is like yours. He is the kindest man in the world, but put him in a car and he's just horrible. Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde I swear. He got cut off by a 100000 year old man (I swear this guy shouldn't have been driving) and he just went NUTS! he followed him for blocks and I thought the poor old man was going to have a heart attack. Finally he turned around and went the way we were going, but holy moly, comeon, all that for a person cutting you off? YIKES! He shouts things, (but not much anymore since I started yelling at people and he thinks it sounds silly, geez ya think?? LOL!) So I think I've killed that one pretty much, but the road rage is a whole other topic. I think they need to have manditory schools for road rage people. It's scary sometimes. I think one day he'll tick off the wrong person and just get shot. It's terrible to have to worry about that whenever he's not home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

My hubby is like yours. He is the kindest man in the world, but put him in a car and he's just horrible. Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde I swear. He got cut off by a 100000 year old man (I swear this guy shouldn't have been driving) and he just went NUTS! he followed him for blocks and I thought the poor old man was going to have a heart attack. Finally he turned around and went the way we were going, but holy moly, comeon, all that for a person cutting you off? YIKES! He shouts things, (but not much anymore since I started yelling at people and he thinks it sounds silly, geez ya think?? LOL!) So I think I've killed that one pretty much, but the road rage is a whole other topic. I think they need to have manditory schools for road rage people. It's scary sometimes. I think one day he'll tick off the wrong person and just get shot. It's terrible to have to worry about that whenever he's not home.
It's so weird when this happens. It's like some sort of switch goes off in his head.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never understood road rage myself, especially after an incident where I honked at someone stopped parallel to the road across both lanes and he followed me home and I had to scream for my parents (I was in high school), but I think it happens to lots of people.

Somehow there ceases to be people and instead there are just other cars that are in *my* way.

I would be scared too! Maybe you could talk to him about it, and how scared it makes you when he drives like that, it is very dangerous.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother is the same way. It is a very serious problem. The last thing you want is for some other road rage guy with a gun to get ticked, and believe me it happens. We just had a horrible assault happen in my town due to road rage. The toll that kind of anger takes on your body is horrible as well- he's more likely to suffer many negative health effects. These behaviors are also illegal. There are lots of websites and books on the issue. You might want to check it out before your hubby ends up with massive fines, a felony, or jail time. You never know when that tailgating can become fatal- and it happens all too often.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you look up the definition of road rage, you will find a picture of my fiance right next to the def

His philosophy is that no car should ever be in front of him...he drives 2 speeds: 45 mph in the city, 85 or more on the highway. Somedays he races his best time (i.e. one day he was so excited because he turned a 2 hour drive into 1 hour).

He rides the bumpers (like within an inch) until they move, he swears and cusses, and I lose fingers and toes with the amount of finger flipping that occurs.

He was in the Army so that's his excuse.
What that has to do with civilian driving who knows...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's called "Road Rage" and people who have it are a hazzard to other drivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_rage_(phenomenon)

I was in a taxi cab once and the driver was like that. At one point he and another driver got got into a verbal argument. Both of them stopped and I thought for sure it was going to come to blows.

I sat in the back of the cab cowering in fear. When I got home I called the taxi cab board and reported him.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate riding in the car with my SO. He will run right up behind someone and slam on the brakes and ride their bumper. He has no clue what the little stick on the side of the steering colomn is, and will not listen when I try to introduce him to Mr TURN SIGNAL! He is going to kill his car one day, and it will be my fault. Everything that happens to the cr is my fault, it could never be because he drives like crap.
Fortunately he is just the opposite on the motorycle or I would never ride with him.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

DH and I have recently switch schedules, so we can drive into work together. Let me explain several things first. 1. My husband is a very kind man. 2. He is NOT a morning person. 3. I am NOT a morning person.

We get our stuff together and head out to the car. Again everything seems fine. He turns the engine over, and then something odd happens. He turns into a raving lunatic. Swear words that would make a sailor blush spill out of his mouth, he rides other people's bumpers, and will run over little old ladies that get in his way (that's a joke, but I've seen him threaten it). We then arrive at work, my pale hands clutching my bag, breathing heavy, and he parks the car. As soon as the engine shuts off he turns back into my loving wonderful husband.
Just a note to let you know this works two ways. DWs can also have the same type of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde complex when it comes to morning driving as I can well attest to.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy...my husband can be so bad too. He's also the type to wait until the last minute to hit the brakes and then yells at the person in front of us because that person obviously slammed on their brakes...All my attempts to say, "Honey, he didn't slam on his brakes..you weren't paying attention and were riding his bumper, so of course YOU had to slam yours" just falls on I-won't-listen-to-you-nag-ears.

But as far as road rage goes, this is one of the most high profile cases that happened around here:

http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NEWS/704050322

And the thing to keep in mind is that students are not permitted to drive in that area because it does create traffic issues for the bus drivers that are picking up passengers and dropping them off.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! LOL..This thread is great..Im the one with the road rage and I willingly admit it. Little old people...ARGHHH!! I am not allowed to drive anymore if Dave is in the car. He gets so mad at me because I will start swearing flippin the bird following ridiculously close (which I just dont pay attention so I do it when Im in a good mood) I just cant stand stupid drivers. I dont ever do anything really horrible with my car its mostly just my attitude. And heaven forbid someone doesnt use their turn signal in front of me. That will just push me over the edge. THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!!!! *Ok I think I better stop now Im getting road rage at my comp chair...HELPPPPPPPPP* lol

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't road rage fun?! Matt says he wishes he had a push bar on his car... or automatic weapons. Only difference is that while he's yelling and swearing he still drive very deffensively. He maintains distance and is actually a very good driver. I feel compelty safe when he's driving but my poor ears!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't understand the road rage thing. I put up with that stuff for about 5 seconds ... long enough for them to pull over and let me out. I have walked miles rather than accompany some looney driver. I know some people think it is funny or that they really cannot do anything about it so they just put up with it.

I worry about the innocents out there. The children who are passengers in other cars and in the aggressive driver's car. If they don't get in an accident, what behaviors are the children learning?

What about me or my mother or my nephews just learning to drive? If they follow the rules of the road, is some psycho is gonna be tailgating them, pushing them to do something dangerous?

Automobiles are big machines. It takes responsibilty and a reasonably clear head to SHARE the road. If one really feels they need to be first, need to "win" (whatever that means) then they need to get a race car and hit a local track.

Like it or not, we all share the roads. If you cannot play nicely, then you shouldn't get to play.