Do you have a set of dishes or silverware?

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As I was putting away the dishes this morning I realized I have no set of anything.

Everything we own is a miss match. Just a collection of things we have bought or were given along the way.

And I don't even want to talk about the plastic/tupperware cabinet

So what do you have or not have?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I have the same set that you have.
Well at least I am not alone

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a set of silverware that match. I have 4 plates,bowls, small plates and coffee cups from the same set, but I have about 10 other plates, I think 4 of them match, but I don't like the pattern, the others don't go with anything.

I have a few nice sets of glasses: 2 sets of 4 and a set of about 8 with 8 juice glasses just alike.

I like to have matching things

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My every day dishes are from Ikea and were $15.00 for a set of 8. I thought it was a heck of a deal.

My "good" china is from my Mom.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a set of Corelle's "Spring Blossom" (aka "Crazy Daisy") dishes. If you grew up in the 70s or 80s, I'm sure it's a familiar pattern to you...

http://www.tias.com/9333/PictPage/1921799308.html

Seems back then everyone either had the spring blossom pattern or the Butterfly Gold

But the reason I have a whole set is really more a matter of serendipity than anything. It was my first holiday in my new house... I had 9 people coming for dinner... I had enough plates/bowls/etc for 4 people... and I was broke. That weekend I happened upon an estate sale where apparently the woman who died was - get this - a dish hoarder. Seriously, her daughter (who was running the sale) said she had found at least 15 sets of dishes... and none of them just service for 12... we're talking each set had enough to have about 30 people over for dinner. She was so desperate to get rid of them that I ended up leaving with around $300 worth of corelle for $15. And... no one who came to thanksgiving dinner had to eat out of a cat dish

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have eight matching stoneware plates (in deep purple) and four matching bowls, two four-place settings of matching flatware and one 12-place setting of "good" flatware. There is also the collection of odds and ends.

I love my yard-sale soup mugs and eclectic collection of coffee mugs.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have dishes for 8 plus a couple that don't match and flatware for 8 plus a couple that don't match. My daughter bought all of that for me when I moved here 10 years ago.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mcat

I have dishes for 8 plus a couple that don't match and flatware for 8 plus a couple that don't match. My daughter bought all of that for me when I moved here 10 years ago.
Pretty much the same here
I have a full matching set of dishes for 8, and a complete set of flatware for 8...then I have all sorts of "added in later" stuff that don't match anything

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a set of eight plates, bowls, small salad plates,and coffee cups that match, they are black and blue. I got rid of the other dishes we had, I do have black and white bowls that I love for soup with handles that I couldn't part with. I also have the ridiculas amount of glasses with beer logos on them(Hmmmm, imagine that! LOL!) that aren't supposed to match and drive me nuts (Short drive I know) the tupperware is going to be slowly tossed out and replaced with new and stackable ones that actually fit things like pizza, or pastas, ya know ones that are useable, not the tiny ones that I can't use for anything, or the HUGE ones that don't fit in my fridge, I'm so anal I know. I just need things to work for me of they are GONE!!!

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I go in the cupboard, there's about 15 different designs of plates and things. When we have guests over, they look around the table and each of us has got different designs of mugs, cutlery, dishes and so on!!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Four sets of dishes: Corelle Butterfly Gold for everyday, 6 place settings; Wedgewood Blue Pacific for weekends, 6 place settings; Royal Worcester Mirage for special occasions, 8 place settings; a fourth set I inherited from an aunt, which is probably very nice, but I don't like it and will never use it, 12 place settings; plus assorted other stuff in each of those styles.

Flatware: three stainless sets, each 6 place settings, don't remember the names of any of them; 2 silver sets, my own which is called "Love" from International, and another from the same aunt, which is I think a Birk's pattern, but I don't know the name -- I like it a lot better than the china, and do use it occasionally; assorted other pieces.

Great zot. Between inherited stuff and merging two households, it does mount up.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly DO have a complete set of dishes! They're lovely white stoneware with green leaves and red cherries...

...and they're still in the box they came in three years ago.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As I was putting away the dishes this morning I realized I have no set of anything.

Everything we own is a miss match. Just a collection of things we have bought or were given along the way.

And I don't even want to talk about the plastic/tupperware cabinet

So what do you have or not have?
I have the same set that you have.
Yup me too. I think originally a looooong time ago when my parents got married they had sets that they got for wedding gifts (this was back when they were still married-divorced now, and that would be 18 years ago). I think we still do have 2 of that set left
. ANd then we have just random plates we got somewhere or anotheer.... Most of the sets we've had plates get broke so they are no longer a set.. I have no idea about the silverware though, i dont pay much attention to that.