Kitty Tents

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you ever go to Walmart or Target and see those tiny little replicas of the tents they have for sale and wish you could have the tiny one for your cat? I just think they are so cute, I'd like to set one up in a little fake indoor campsite for my kitties to enjoy.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that would be too cute! My MIL got one of the fabric cubes from walmart, but not a tent. How would you do a campsite indoors? I'm picturing things like S'mores...from the microwave of course. Don't think a campfire in the middle of the living room is a good thing...of course, we do have a fire place...hmmmmm....

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 of them for my boys- they velcro together and they are a huge hit! They really love to play in them, and sleep in them too

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I've thought exactly that! But the closest we have are the little blue-and-green nylon pop-up kittyhouses from Ikea. Just $7, and our crew loves them!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seem to remember seeing those little model tents in Sears as a kid and thinking "wow, Barbie would sure love that"

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so funny! Yes, I have thought that, too. Maybe when you see someone in the store looking at those, you automatically know they have a cat.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

Do you ever go to Walmart or Target and see those tiny little replicas of the tents they have for sale and wish you could have the tiny one for your cat? I just think they are so cute, I'd like to set one up in a little fake indoor campsite for my kitties to enjoy.
Yes. Every time I go there! (I also think they'd make great doll tents for kids.)

I do have a leopard-print kitty tent I got from Tuesday Morning; they used to like it (it was fun to watch 2 of them fighting inside the tent, and the sides would bulge out in a cartoonish way).

I've been seriously thinking of getting a child's pop-up tent from WalMart (they're about $18), for the cats to hang out in.

MargeCat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I just picked up a "baby" mesh tent from a yard sale. We used it at the last cat show. Set it up where we were staying and put the litter box inside so it would keep things nice and neat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Aww, that would be too cute! My MIL got one of the fabric cubes from walmart, but not a tent. How would you do a campsite indoors? I'm picturing things like S'mores...from the microwave of course. Don't think a campfire in the middle of the living room is a good thing...of course, we do have a fire place...hmmmmm....
Haha! I can barely light a candle in front of my girls without one of them trying to burn their tail, so no campfire for me.

I was thinking along the lines of a 3 by 3 wooden box on stilts that I could maybe grow cat grass in and pitch the tent in the middle. Maybe even have a water bowl dug in to simulate a pond. It's just an idea in my head, but I've always wanted to do that.

I want something that would be fun and functional for them but also look somewhat decorative.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I love that idea! And even if you didn't have the little miniature tent, you could build them a log cabin... or set a big ficus in there and build them a treehouse... what fun!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

I seem to remember seeing those little model tents in Sears as a kid and thinking "wow, Barbie would sure love that"
Me too! I have even thought that as an adult

This seems to be the next best thing for my cats:
(It's the one from Walmart)

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've thought the same thing. around christmas time target had a pet tent in the bargain section. for $2 i bought the guys this tent. nabu is modeling it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/littleraven7726/stimpy5-18-07012Small.jpg
they are so funny in this tent...raven likes to jump on it and make it pop back up. all 3 of them wrestle in it like with their cube.

we also have the $3 cube from walmart. they love it. we call it "the cube of death" because they wrestle in it and it bounces around.
it's pretty funny.

anyone see the new one at target--it looks like an octagon and has holes in pretty much every side? i think it was called a "kitty pyramid." DH and i were thinking that would really be the "octagon of death" at our house.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yes! I've thought exactly that! But the closest we have are the little blue-and-green nylon pop-up kittyhouses from Ikea. Just $7, and our crew loves them!
Oh my gosh! Those are so cute!
We have a couple kitty cubes & connectors from Target
. Sometimes we'll hear a bunch of rustling
when we go to sleep and in the morning, the cube is halfway across the room and flipped over!

P.S. But I know what you mean about those mini model people tents! I can imagine a group of cats sitting around a campfire toasting mackerel skewers and chicken kabobs (instead of s'mores)!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

Oh my gosh! Those are so cute!
We have a couple kitty cubes & connectors from Target
. Sometimes we'll hear a bunch of rustling
when we go to sleep and in the morning, the cube is halfway across the room and flipped over!
This is a common occurance in my house
The cubes are well traveled, especially when Stanley is in them and Bella attacks from the outside

Let me illustrate:

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

This is a common occurance in my house
The cubes are well traveled, especially when Stanley is in them and Bella attacks from the outside

Let me illustrate:
Hey, is that the one from Target with the tube on the side? B/c that's the one I'm talking about.

We call it "da Winnebago"
... it "drives" around the room at night when we're asleep
! Also popular as a sunning hut in the mid-afternoons!

P.S. It also has some extra vents (aka. tent puncture wounds) here and there...

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats seem to either 'ignore' the tent or take turns using it, depending on their moods.

This one we ordered online a couple of years ago. It came free with an order of a couple of lamps.