Labor question.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wednesday afternoon at 2:41pm, my neighbor called me saying she just woke up (she works midnights, I babysit her kids) and that she found Sushi, their one female cat, on the futon with 2 newborn kittens. (the dad must have got her right before they neutered him on March 27th)

I ran over there when I got home from work and set up a banana box for her instead of the futon.

Anyhow...
I stayed over there because I knew she wasn't done yet.. she was still fairly big and I could feel 1 or 2 more inside her.
It wasn't until around 6pm that the 3rd one was born(we figure the first two were born in between 1:30-2:30) And she didn't even appear to be in labor until 5:30. The 4th one was born not too long after that.

Can cats go out of labor and come back into it? If it went on for much longer I told them to take her to the vet to have labor induced or something, but she did it herself.

I have them over here now in my spare bedroom for today.. as they are moving to a new house. (nice timing Sushi!) I'll try and get pictures if the camera will let me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've had a queen that would scare me sometimes. She would have 2-3 within 15-20 mins apart and then it would be 2-4 HOURS before the last one or two is born.

As long as the queen is not in distress and she's not in prolonged HARD labor with no results, they are usually fine

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would say get her checked out by a vet because my cat was in labour for over 24 hours and had only three babies even though she wasn't pushing all the time the vet still wanted to see her as i took her there before and i was told there was alot more than 3!! well she needed a bit of help for the last 2 babies which she had a couple of hours later and we were able to pick her up, but the vet still wanted to see her the next day just to be checked over, she also did a xray that morning just to make sure luckily there was no more but sadly 1 was already dead and i had 2 more die the next day. I hope this helps.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yes, I've had a queen that would scare me sometimes. She would have 2-3 within 15-20 mins apart and then it would be 2-4 HOURS before the last one or two is born.

As long as the queen is not in distress and she's not in prolonged HARD labor with no results, they are usually fine
thats exacly what kalli did, i wouldnt be too worried unless it was a really long time after the other ones were born