Do you swear?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you swear? I have been thinking about this lately, especially since my 2 yr old now repeats everything we say. I have to admit, I have never been much of a swearer. My parents were very strict and we were punished if we even said darn, so I got in the habit of saying other things instead of the usual swear words. Fudge buckets used to one. Also I refused to call women I disliked the B word as I felt it was an insult to female dogs, so I called them Slime Wenches instead.

Now with Kevin repeating everything I am also trying not to say crap (a fav of mine) Currently I use "crikey" alot (thank you Crocedile Hunter). People look at me wierd when I say Crikey at work for some reason

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Are you swear? I have been thinking about this lately, especially since my 2 yr old now repeats everything we say. I have to admit, I have never been much of a swearer. My parents were very strict and we were punished if we even said darn, so I got in the habit of saying other things instead of the usual swear words. Fudge buckets used to one. Also I refused to call women I disliked the B word as I felt it was an insult to female dogs, so I called them Slime Wenches instead.

Now with Kevin repeating everything I am also trying not to say crap (a fav of mine) Currently I use "crikey" alot (thank you Crocedile Hunter). People look at me wierd when I say Crikey at work for some reason
Very strange that you would ask this because just last night Nancy Reagan was interviewed by Larry King and was asked about "Ronnie's" swearing. Is this what brought on this question by any chance? At any rate I WAS a sailor but I think I have broken myself of all the new words I learned while in the navy.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said other too, I only swear when I'm extremely upset. Ady, when my son was 4 years old, he used to repeat every swear word he heard too...just so he could watch my reaction.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to, particularly when I am angry or stressed, but also know where/when I can swear. I have never said anything bad in front of my nephew and he would let everyone know if I did

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Very strange that you would ask this because just last night Nancy Reagan was interviewed by Larry King and was asked about "Ronnie's" swearing. Is this what brought on this question by any chance? At any rate I WAS a sailor but I think I have broken myself of all the new words I learned while in the navy.
Unless it was the Wonder Pets DVD or the Wiggles, I didn't watch it last night. It was actually listening to my son try to say the work "clock", except he pronounces it without the "L". Don't even ask him to say "fox" or "shirt", especially in a public place!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am horrible! I swear so much...It's very out of control! Hey at least I am being honest. Im sure it looks and comes of tacky but it is one of my bad habits, everyone in my family swears alot! We drop the f-bomb all the time and every other swear word. Im not saying it is acceptable but I probably swear at least 100 times a day (and that is being modest)... LOL maybe I should seek a professional about that?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked the first one, but in reality, Bikers swear MUCH worse than sailors do. I speak from experience knowing both.

Therefore, I swear like the leather- & patch- wearing, exhaust-breathing, Harley-riding, cat-loving tattooed biker chick that I am.
And I'm NOT ashamed to say so.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I checked the first one, but in reality, Bikers swear MUCH worse than sailors do. I speak from experience knowing both.

Therefore, I swear like the leather- & patch- wearing, exhaust-breathing, Harley-riding, cat-loving tattooed biker chick that I am.
And I'm NOT ashamed to say so.
I'm with you, Betsy. But I know we know when NOT to.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked the first one!

I swear a lot
My mom says I am worse than a trucker
It is a bad habit though, so I have cut down on swearing a little bit
And I try not to swear around the kids
Because well kids are kids and they like to pick up things!
But ya I do swear an awful lot, I think everyone in my immediate family does alot, well my mom, my dad somewhat, my brothers and sil, and of course me!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't. My brothers are always swearing and it drives me nuts so I don't. Although on my Livejournal, when I get mad I swear but I don't know if that counts...

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, and I don't. There's this part of me that believes that swearing makes you stupid, that it limits your vocabulary -- that instead of saying "I'm so frustrated!" or "That makes me really angry!" we drop the F-bomb and curse up a storm, and consequently we lose the ability to articulate ourselves fully. I also know a number of people who swear almost as if the words were forms of punctuation: "So there I was
and I had my girlfriend with me
and we went to the bar
What a
night,
!" It becomes almost painful to listen to, and, I'll be honest, I tend to think less of people who talk this way -- that either they're too ignorant to know how this makes them look, or they're too socially inept to think it has any importance. But I'm a terrible snob sometimes.

That being said, I don't really have a problem with swearing when you have more to say than just an endless litany of curse-words, and even though the intellectual part of me thinks I should shriek out "Wow! That really hurt! I'm in so much pain right now!" it is a heck of a lot easier just to scream the F-word at the top of your lungs. (And, sometimes, a lot more satisfying.
) I guess my disdain comes into the picture when the only thing you have to say is F-this, F-that.

Finally, I have this weird habit of making up "swear" words. It's a family thing, because my little sister does it, too -- the funny thing is, though, neither of us was ever really punished for swearing. We were taught appropriate and inappropriate times to curse (e.g. in front of Grandma is maybe not such a great time to drop the F-bomb), but our parents thought it was more important that we understand what to say in "polite" conversation than to have a list of things we must never, ever say ... ever. Of our made-up swear-words, "argle fargle" remains my favourite. I also expand upon regular swear-words -- for example, "craptastic" or "[F-word]sicles." I don't know if this makes me clever or just really, really weird.

My friends have a 14-month-old daughter who has learned a few choice swear words (because Mommy, who is a SAHM and therefore spends the most time with her, occasionally lacks discretion
). It's become a game for us to say "Rowan, say [the F-word]!" and for her to repeat it. We're such a mature bunch. (Fortunately, Rowan's grandmother -- who is way cooler than my grandmothers ever were -- thinks it's as funny as the rest of us. I'm just waiting for the moment when she bellows it out in the middle of a crowded mall.)

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try not to but I do.

It's mostly if I am doing something and it goes wrong or whatever, I'll swear.. but I don't think I mean to, it just pops out. LOL.

LOL. I say Fudgsicle when I'm around kids though. Or, Poop.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to lie- i definitely swear sometimes. But i never do in front of my nieces/nephews or anyone who does not use like language (like my mom). It's mostly just around Colin (just jokingly) or my coworkers- we're potty mouths

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Wow we have a whole lot of potty mouthed people on here
I also think that swearing has become a lot more acceptable in certain places, you only have to watch TV and see when and where they allow its use

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not all the time mainly when i'm ticked off at something or flustrated, and it usually just slips out..

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try not to, but an ocassional swear word does pop out, especially when I'm mad or frustrated. One example would be driving home in rush-hour traffic with a bunch of idiots on the road. Fortunately, I'm usually by myself then, so nobody else hears it.