average weight of cat

lisah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
can someone please tell me the average weight of a 1 year old sphynx , my kitty is sick she has feline leukemia (we only just found out) my vet weighed her and she is only 1.8 kilos and i was just wondering what the average is for a healthy kitty

thanks in advance

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm unfamiliar with the average weight for a sphynx female.

For your average domestic cat, I would say a full grown female is around 8lbs (3.6kg)...but there's a wide variance, so 6-10lbs (2.7-4.5kg) in general. 1.8kg sounds very light. What did the vet say about her weight?

It's not so much the weight, but whether or not that weight is proper for her frame and body type. Also, some cats aren't full grown at 1 year.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sphynx would be in the same catagory (body wise) as the other rexes (devon/cornish). They should weigh about 5-7 pounds when grown. Males are heavier. You might get away with a little higher, but I would try to stick to that range.

Certainly anything 9 pounds or over would be fat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your replys the vet seemed shocked that she is so little but the conversation changed and we never got back to weight , i am going back next week for another check up to see how she is going on antibiotics (she has cat flu and 3 bugs in her gut) she is an inside kitty has never been outside , the vet said she would probably have been born with the leukemia virus

she does seem to be more active now she has been on the antibiotics for a few days , fingers and toes crossed for phoebe

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sphynx would be in the same catagory (body wise) as the other rexes (devon/cornish). They should weigh about 5-7 pounds when grown. Males are heavier. You might get away with a little higher, but I would try to stick to that range.

Certainly anything 9 pounds or over would be fat
What about domestic cats? Is there an average weight?

My cats weigh 14 poounds. The vet says they are big cats, but he has never said they need to go on a diet.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lisah - I am very sorry that your cat has leukemia
I am sending vibes that the antibiotics deal with her immediate health issues, and that she gains weight and stays healthy for a long time to come. You should discuss with your vet whether there are any supplements you can add to her food to boost her weakened immune system, such as L-Lysine, although there may be others. 1.8 kilos is very small, my 7 month old Oriental kitten is now 3.3 kilos - although Orientals are a little bigger than Sphynxes, and he is male which generally get larger.

I don't think that you can really say that there's an 'average' weight in general for cats of no particular breed. There is such a difference between the average weights of purebreds of different breeds, and a mixed breed cat could have all sorts of influences in its ancestry. I think it's more important to pay attention to the shape of the cat in relation to its frame size.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go by the body size and boning. A small/refined boned cat would weigh about 5-7 lbs. A medium boned cat would go 8-11 or 12 lbs. A larger boned/body cat would be 13+.

If you can feel ribs when pushing in lightly your cat is probably fine. You don't want to see the ribs (even refined rexes/siamese have NO ribs showing) and you don't want to have to dig in to find ribs.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. this is very helpful!

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I go by the body size and boning. A small/refined boned cat would weigh about 5-7 lbs. A medium boned cat would go 8-11 or 12 lbs. A larger boned/body cat would be 13+.

If you can feel ribs when pushing in lightly your cat is probably fine. You don't want to see the ribs (even refined rexes/siamese have NO ribs showing) and you don't want to have to dig in to find ribs.