Well??? What do you all think about the new contests?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
No replies to the threads, so I figured I might ask here

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them - makes you have to think and do a little work (fortunately for me - not creative work). It also allows for some great posting to happen (not that it doesn't happen already) and will reward people who post quality advice.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ummm new ones - do you mean over and above the Kwiz Kat thingy
maybe theres been too many flying about and people are getting a bit dis-interested in them

I better go off and check then.............

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh now I see them, but the one with the pale green title didnt show up very well with the skin I have at the moment, so that might be one reason

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just gotten MUCH busier at work, so I've been posting a little less lately - not sure I'll have time to enter any contests that require writing, and I only have one "cat" friend IRL and I've been trying to get her on these forums for a year, so the referral contest won't work for me...I sorry!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

ummm new ones - do you mean over and above the Kwiz Kat thingy
maybe theres been too many flying about and people are getting a bit dis-interested in them

I better go off and check then.............
A whole lot of contests started within a few days after KatKwiz started.
KatKwiz remains the only one dedicated to teaching people how to use the features of The Cat Site. I think mooficat's observation is probably correct though, with so many going now, it might be a bit overwhelming. Anyway, I have totally changed the format of KatKwiz and now offer many different types of contests and hope to draw back some of the interest that has been lost to the other contests.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that the official TCS contests are anything like the forum games, regardless of what they teach (and IMO getting to know the members better or learning cat breeds and colours is just as important as learning how features on TCS).

The official forum contests have real prizes and have been run since before I was a member, so I doubt KatKwiz has any effect on their running (or vice-versa)

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a great idea, although I have been posting less since I am finishing up school, but theres a plus schools done next week
But idk this sounds like some interesting games

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I don't think that the official TCS contests are anything like the forum games, regardless of what they teach (and IMO getting to know the members better or learning cat breeds and colours is just as important as learning how features on TCS).

The official forum contests have real prizes and have been run since before I was a member, so I doubt KatKwiz has any effect on their running (or vice-versa)
I only answered the question as asked.
Well??? What do you all think about the new contests?
In no way was I responding to a question about official TCS contests or official forum contests because that is not how the question was worded.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really should actually answer the question

I like the new posting contest as it will help get people 'real' answers to health issues etc and encourage people to visit the cat related forums. I am a chatterbox but I have problems with 200 words, so if I want to win I am sure I will learn a lot by looking up info for my answers also.

As far as referrals, I already referred by 'cat people' friends so not sure if I know anyone else who would join.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think ALL of the contests, quizzes, etc are GREAT for the site! It gives people an option of whether or not they want to participate, and they can choose which one they want to participate in. I'm happy that people are actually 'getting into' the site.. it's good for TCS and Anne to know people are actively involved with TCS!

I think that the new contest that Anne is talking about is AWESOME. The only thing that is make me NOT want to do it is.... there are a lot of regular people here that know a lot more than me... when you take one of their posts and compare it to mine- they will win. They know more, plain and simple. So trying to compete with them on posts... it's no competition. I wouldn't even know what to write! That's just my opinion...

Also, about the referrals. I am the only 'cat lady' of the group.. everyone I know thinks that I'm nuts for chatting about cats all day. That's why I joined TCS.. because I know on here you guys won't think I'm so 'weird'

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is about how much you know, as long as it is in the right forum and the right length (and not just fluff to make it that long I would imagine) it is just a random drawing of posts.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I like the new posting contest as it will help get people 'real' answers to health issues etc and encourage people to visit the cat related forums. I am a chatterbox but I have problems with 200 words, so if I want to win I am sure I will learn a lot by looking up info for my answers also.

As far as referrals, I already referred by 'cat people' friends so not sure if I know anyone else who would join.
I agree Eithne, that is what tcs is really all about anyway...
Anything fun to help others learn about cats, cat care, tcs, or tcs members is A-OK in my book!

I also wanted to add, I loved the treasure challenge games, and while I didn't play I was sure to follow along... it was nice to get to know people on a more personal level....

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I generally don't have time to do the contests - I just try to keep up with the Cat Lounge and Fur Pics, and keep my eye on the Health forums and try to help out there when I can.

This posting bonanza contest looks really good though, and I think it's the sort of thing that anyone can help with - you definitely don't need to be an expert to be able to give 6 quality posts. And I'm sure people asking for help will appreciate good quality responses!

I don't really follow any of the official or non-official contests except for Abymummy's cat colour posts because I love the cat pics, and I'm interested in learning more about colours and breeds. I do check them out though, and I'll probably particpate in the posting bonanza one if I get time (end of semester exams are on June 21, so time is of a premium...
)

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I don't really follow any of the official or non-official contests except for Abymummy's cat colour posts because I love the cat pics, and I'm interested in learning more about colours and breeds. I do check them out though, and I'll probably particpate in the posting bonanza one if I get time (end of semester exams are on June 21, so time is of a premium...
)
Oh Sarah, I don't play Adilah's contest, but I do pop in & keep up on reading it! That's a great contest! Some of them, gosh I'd never be able to guess!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really like quizes and contests, I do any with graphics, because I like playing with graphics.

Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

KatKwiz remains the only one dedicated to teaching people how to use the features of The Cat Site
If Iwant to know how to do something on TCS, I ask some-one who knows, not waste time playing silly games.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK guys, I really don't think this thread was started to bash on the KatKwiz. I think that anyone can start a quiz, just not everyone will participate. But that's fine.. I think it's good to have several different quizzes going on that way there's something for everyone!

Anyway, to the point.... So in order to become the 'winner' of this new contest (that Anne is putting on)... is it based on how well your posts are or is it based on a random drawing out of everyone that participated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback - it was regarding the official TCS contests launched today.

On a side note - I for one appreciate any contest run here that promotes the site, be it by quizzing about articles or running community contests. It's all good. I was hoping for something like that to happen when we introduced the points.

To those who don't like contests, that is fine too of course
Easy enough to stir away from them (well usually
).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Almost forgot the important stuff! I just changed the rules on the posting contest - 150 words is enough now, or 8+ lines. Please check the contest thread for details!