Cat shedding hair,,

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for some cats to shed allot of there hair for summer? Rusty is shedding like crazy right now. He is orange and white, and maybe its just my eyes but he looks like he changes color from a dark orange to light orange at times. Tuffy used to do the same thing, going from orange at times to almost a blond color at other times.

katmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two boys (who also happen to be white and ginger!) are shedding also. I think it's just the time of year for it and I can't wait until it's over.

We just got our cats two weeks ago and I've had to vacuum EVERY day since. i love them to death, but oh! the hair!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is that time of year, shedding season, we are vacuuming constantly at the moment.

Brushing often will help, we also give them a bath at this time of year to help with the shedding, but that depends on how easy they are to bathe.

In my experience, orange kitties shed the worst, Bumper is a fur machine. I brush him daily and he still loses fur when you touch him.

G

ghostuser

Both the kitties here are shedding like mad, even with Chase adoring the comb and being combed near-daily. I'm thinking about buying a Furminator..

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Both the kitties here are shedding like mad, even with Chase adoring the comb and being combed near-daily. I'm thinking about buying a Furminator..
I'm thinking of getting a furminator too. Does anyone have this? Is it really that good like the commercial states?

odajennys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this and it was a pretty penny but I love love the thing, even for my short hair Kali cat.

I brush her every 3 days and it's made such a difference in her coat, and also stopped the shedding.

Would advise to buy the smallest brush made for a cat since it is easier to handle. The larger sizes are the same price, but it's made for a dog and harder to maneuver around a cat, unless you have a very large cat.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the furminator, the wire comb, and tons of other human brushes I use. they all work, if the monsters would sit still and let me brush them. My female cats loved being brushed. usuallyI have to hold these guys down to get in a few strokes before they try to bite me or take off. It is rare when one will enjoy the brushing long enough to get a bunch of hair out. Pansy, the scardy cat< likes it the best. I guess because he doesn't like other contact, this is his way of enjoying the human experience.

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

Yes indeed, it's shedding season, which also means hairball season for my kitty.
Ditto!
And my Trixter swallows them back down when he coughs them up.... so he ends up with constipation, too. Ugh.
I hate this time of the year. Our poor babies!

Whuckleberry, what kind of hairball remedies do you use?

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TrixtersMomma

Ditto!
And my Trixter swallows them back down when he coughs them up.... so he ends up with constipation, too. Ugh.
I hate this time of the year. Our poor babies!

Whuckleberry, what kind of hairball remedies do you use?
I try to brush him more often, and I buy the potted cat grass for him to chew on. Both of those seem to help a bit. If it starts getting really bad, I'll give him a dose of Laxatone, but it hasn't been so bad this year.

katmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't had the pleasure of hairballs yet!

Other than brushing them often, is there anything else to prevent them? I think the lady at the cattery suggested Vaseline on their paws so that they lick it off.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do go through a molting season. And my red Mackeral Tabby Persian gets lighter (color) this time of year too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Cats do go through a molting season. And my red Mackeral Tabby Persian gets lighter (color) this time of year too.
LOL.. revenge of the red heads??

Zoey is still changing color but she is shedding alot