New Cat Breed....$22,000

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://lifestylepets.com/cats.html

It's called the Ashera cat. A mix of Serval and Asian Leopard Cat, which was then bred to a domestic cat. According to Lifestylepets, Inc., they grow to be about 30lbs.

They pretty much just appear to be take two of Bengal Cats, with the main difference being the Serval blood running through their veins. Personally, I couldn't fathom paying $22,000 for a pet cat. What are your opinions of this? Have you heard of these?

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
.......... the only word i can think of is RIDICULOUS. why would u want a cat that big? At the size of thirty pounds why not just get a dog......... And if you look at the website to me it seems that the company is out to make money. The cat and the new small dog breed that they are developing are all designer pets. And you know with a cat that size and with those genetic lines, people will not be ready for the energy level and they will end up being abandoned. The only way that i would even consider supporting the company was if they enforced a pre adoption spay/neuter that way if someone abandons or loses their pet, it won't create more unwanted pets.

EDIT: okay at least they are enforcing a mandatory spay/neuter i just read it on their site

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
seriously 22,000 grand would do a lot for a rescue. Sigh guess the Paris Hilton's of the world will be happy they can get an exotic pet

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At $22,000 they will have a hard time placing pets imo. What happens to the ones they can't sell?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately you will have someone seriously hurt in a short time. IMO the more people that jump on the "wild" cat crosses and mixing who knows what together, the worse problems you have. While they are pretty - I can guarentee that the "wild" in them will turn on someone who is unprepared. Also its nothing more then another "designer" breed like the dogs......at 30 lbs you won't have them sitting in the show rings!

I have better things to do with $22K!

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, the cat is beautful.

But come on............... This is ridiculous. That cat is going to hurt someone. Having raised Bengals and Brambles, I know how important it is to socialize and choose the correct termperament for breeding. Otherwise, you can get a VERY unrully cat that has a definite wild streak. Those of us that show know exactly what I am saying. I have seen Bengals get very upset at shows. Don't get me wrong, I love Bengals, but you better know that you are getting one from a reputable breeder. Same for Savannah's. I know someone that has Servals and Savannahs. They are wonderful, but they know the risk and take precautions.

The site states that they are very good with children, if socialized correctly. Well, I would never let my child play around with a cat that has so much wild blood in it. When are we going to see the first case of a child mauled by one? ALC and Serval together, even when mixed with domestic, can be a real problem.

I am all for new breeds. I will defend anyone that is reputable that is going down that path. I went down that path, myself, and am happy I did. However, this looks over the top with the wild genetic background.

Then, the price........ OMG! Only a person with money to throw around would even think about it. They will sell 2 or 3 and then the price will be reduced to the same as other exotic breeds of cats within a couple of years.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

http://lifestylepets.com/cats.html

It's called the Ashera cat. A mix of Serval and Asian Leopard Cat, which was then bred to a domestic cat. According to Lifestylepets, Inc., they grow to be about 30lbs.

They pretty much just appear to be take two of Bengal Cats, with the main difference being the Serval blood running through their veins. Personally, I couldn't fathom paying $22,000 for a pet cat. What are your opinions of this? Have you heard of these?
This is my first time hearing of this "new breed", my opinions don't waiver from any of the majority. The 22K price tag, makes me wonder. I am not a big fan of many of the new designer breeds, however, I am breeding a breed, that was created, and in many aspects still a relatively young breed. If it wasn't for Ann Bakers eccentric ways of thinking, we may not have this beautiful breed today. With that being said, from what I know about Ann Baker herself as a human or a "breeder", I don't think I would have had anything good to say about her. In the case of the Ragdoll breed, credit has to go to those breeders for introducing this breed to the cat fancy many years ago, and creating a certain standard.
I see the person is also creating a new breed of small dogs, so one can suspect, this is more money driven. I don't see any suggestion that they are campaining this new breed for acceptance with any organization, but I only read a portion of the site, before deciding to (contact them
)

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I for one, don't think they're as beautiful as a Bengal. At least not in the photo on that website. Also, the price is too steep. I don't think anyone should charge for animal the price of a car, for crying out loud.

I don't think at that price, many people will buy one. They'll either have to go down...waaaaay down on price or the breed will end as quickly as it started.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those breeders can get bent! My car cost less than that! Looks like a bengal (well roughly the markings) never in my life would I pay 22k for a pet! As much as I love animals no way!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I desire a 30 lb kitty ... I will go and "adopt" one at the local Cat ZOO
.. I can adopt a serval for 25-50 $ a month
they will take care of it
... Or I will live my dream of haveing my own sanctuary

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, interesting. They certainly are pretty cats. I think Mr. Kahn would about have a heart attack, though. Doesn't matter anyway, cause I have to say, I'm still paying for my car that I got in 2004, and it's only slightly more expensive than one of those cats... so short of a winning lottery ticket.. it doesn't ultimately matter what I think of them.

I'd be hesitant to have them around my other four-footers, though, at least until the breed is a lot more established. And I hesitate to say that, because I have Bengals (Kahn is an F3).. and I often get that same spiel about how Bengals are wild animals, etc.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that is just ridiculous! $22,000 would do so much good for shelters and other needy animals! And $6,000 more if you want it right away, and $1,500 for delivering
Can you imagine how much good all of that money would do for shelters and needy animals!

Why are people mixing all these breeds and coming up with "designer" breeds so to speak?!!

I do agree with HopeHacker! I just dont know how many people are actually going to buy a kittie for $22,000
and then what happens to the ones that dont sale
!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sick of people creating new breeds! This is just stupid, very rarely does anyone really have good intentions in mind, just $$$, people think it can be done in just a couple tries when it takes years and years of careful and selective breeding to set a standard. Why the heck is there any need for some fancy new breed, the last thing the world needs to new breeds of cats and dogs being created! There are so
many in the world and in shelters there is NO NEED to just create a new breed! What gives some people the right to think they can just do that? Makes me mad that people like that are getting rich. And then to not even make sure all the cats are altered before being sold. How irresponsible some people are.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm with the people who said this looks dangerous. At that price the only people who get them are the ones who just want a 'little leopard' to show off, and will have no idea how to handle something like that. *I* wouldn't know how to handle something like that, but I'm smart enough to know that. The Paris Hilton's of the world don't seem to be.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is that censor for? I didn't swear or anything

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not all for it. Seems like they are willing to sell to anyone willing to pay.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like a large snootier bengal with a less beautiful coat.

Why is genetic monitoring so special and different from how current breeders look after and improve their cat breeds.
For $22000 i'd expect full whole body rosettes at the very least!! And the s/n is just to stop others cashing in on their idea.
It would be such a shame if these turn out to be just too wild and as a result the whole hybrid group is stigmatised.
Plus they won't be showable will they? and there will be no competition, so quality will be whatever they want it to be.