Automatic word censor?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed twice if I type freaked out, it is censored, I think....I will find out now! I guess I should use spazed out or flipped out?Is it
?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont understand how that is a bad word unless its used in the contest of fre*king. We have some word fairies in here who do also censor particular words for us, very sneaky and quick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I just figured out it is
out, not freaked out! Really needed to know!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it did that to me the other day when i tried to use another word that's not bad
but my guess was since this is a site used world wide- maybe it means nothing here- but is offensive to another part of the world so that's why?

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
let me try, sometimes as a teen I felt like a freakazoid

now I just feel like a freak

does it show up without the "ing" on the end?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect because that word is commonly used in place of the "F" word, and I recall a post here within the last few weeks where almost every second word was the replacement for the "F" word. I also noticed that when I tried to search for that post just now that it doesn't seem to be here anymore and must have been moved or deleted.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was odd, I was saying how Maia freaks out , but in the present tense, and got the
censor! HeHeHe
Yet if you say heck of a time?? Shoot?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed that it was being censored as well. Figured it had something to do with TCS being used in schools & being a family site. Cannot be too careful.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used it recently and got all the censors. I was so shocked! I wondered if I had accidentally had a black-out and typed in a string of obscenities!!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never typed anything on TCS that has been censored (I don't think) I always try to keep in the back of my mind that this IS a family site, and kids don't need to be learning any more swear words then they already know. So stop
out man! LOL I had to do that!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's great, it only means TCS is becoming what I already knew to a wider audience,, the best place to find information, support, and just share when it comes to our/your kitties! I just had to find out what was being censored since I knew it is not normal for me to curse much less type a curse word!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But, with censorship also comes alot of problems.
I think that some of the words that are being censored are just plain stupid. kids say alot worse than
. f..........r..........(letter that comes after h).........g

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering where all those smilies were coming from!
. I was on another forums site (cystic fibrosis) and in the "Families" section, I tried to say that "I was in Dick's Sporting Goods...", and I got ****'s Sporting Goods!
Of course, then I had to say "But what if my name was ****?"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

But, with censorship also comes alot of problems.
I think that some of the words that are being censored are just plain stupid. kids say alot worse than
. f..........r..........(letter that comes after h).........g
Can't argue with you there.

Freak*ng is a perfectly legitimate word. For example "Get that spider away from me. It's freak*ng me out!" Perfectly legitimate word that this site considers offensive. It doesn't make sense to me. I can see if it was the "FU" word, but...

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Can't argue with you there.

Freak*ng is a perfectly legitimate word. For example "Get that spider away from me. It's freak*ng me out!" Perfectly legitimate word that this site considers offensive. It doesn't make sense to me. I can see if it was the "FU" word, but...
and

I can understand if you use the actual swear words on here, that they be censored.But to use such common words as fudge,fr*g,fre*king --and have those censored is IMO going WAY overboard!

What word/s will be added next? crazy...........stupid..........crap

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The whole issue with the freak ing word has not escaped our notice. The idea is to avoid the F word or any substitutes. It's a thin balance indeed when trying to run auto-censoring for nasty words, because quite a few can be perfectly fine in some contexts. We have to take into account the way different words come across in different cultural contexts on top of that.

We try to follow the Six O'clock News as our benchmark, but it's not always that simple. We will probably be taking the freak word off the list soon enough, after having discussed it among the staff. Specific cases where it will be used inappropriately may still be manually edited.

No one is overkeen on censoring anything among the staff btw. I don't think we have too many prudes on board there
It really is an honest attempt to keep this board family friendly and a suitable educational resource for all cat lovers of all ages and cultures.

tinkrbl5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

The whole issue with the freak ing word has not escaped our notice. The idea is to avoid the F word or any substitutes. It's a thin balance indeed when trying to run auto-censoring for nasty words, because quite a few can be perfectly fine in some contexts. We have to take into account the way different words come across in different cultural contexts on top of that.

We try to follow the Six O'clock News as our benchmark, but it's not always that simple. We will probably be taking the freak word off the list soon enough, after having discussed it among the staff. Specific cases where it will be used inappropriately may still be manually edited.

No one is overkeen on censoring anything among the staff btw. I don't think we have too many prudes on board there
It really is an honest attempt to keep this board family friendly and a suitable educational resource for all cat lovers of all ages and cultures.
Did I get it?