gift idea for someone who quit smoking

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello all, my sister, who has been diagnosed with early emphysema and has just fought another battle with pneumonia, has stopped smoking.
it's been 11 days now, and I'm so proud of her!

I'd like to get her something special to commemorate this event, any suggestions?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she likes flowers, how about a planter or something with a card saying you are proud of her? Or, does she have any hobbies? Maybe you could get her started in some kind of needlepoint or something to keep her hands busy. I'm a smoker and I find as long as I'm busy doing something, I don't think about smoking. Or, take her out for a nice dinner. Congrats for her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

If she likes flowers, how about a planter or something with a card saying you are proud of her? Or, does she have any hobbies? Maybe you could get her started in some kind of needlepoint or something to keep her hands busy. I'm a smoker and I find as long as I'm busy doing something, I don't think about smoking. Or, take her out for a nice dinner. Congrats for her!
thanks so much for the suggestions. she loves jewelry, sewing, she's really good too, she can make anything. I was thinking of some really good smelly bath stuff. Or some real good candles, she said she likes coming home to a house that smells good. If you are thinking of quitting, she swears by the new medication they are calling the magic bullet. She said it makes the cigs taste and smell so bad, that you can't stomach one.

I'm just happy for her, cause she won't die like our aunt did, and like our mom is going too. Mom has advanced emphysema and still won't give em up.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe get her started in a new hobby that's positive to replace the old habit of smoking and distract her? scrap booking, guitar, something she likes

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

maybe get her started in a new hobby that's positive to replace the old habit of smoking and distract her? scrap booking, guitar, something she likes
she swims and tans a LOT. she really doesn't like crafts, just sewing clothes...I know she'd love an emerald bracelet, but whoa-$$$

maybe a nice green australian crystal one? what do you think?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

hello all, my sister, who has been diagnosed with early emphysema and has just fought another battle with pneumonia, has stopped smoking.
it's been 11 days now, and I'm so proud of her!

I'd like to get her something special to commemorate this event, any suggestions?
My best advice is to not bother and to let the day go unacknowledged.

The worse thing you can do for a person who is trying to quit is to keep asking them how they are doing or reminding them of smoking.

I'm a former smoker, and believe me....I know!

Do something at 6 months or a year, by then the cravings are passed. But right now is just too soon and if she is like I was, she is still having really bad cravings.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The worse thing you can do for a person who is trying to quit is to keep asking them how they are doing or reminding them of smoking.

Do something at 6 months or a year, by then the cravings are passed. But right now is just too soon and if she is like I was, she is still having really bad cravings.
oh, to be honest I never thought of that. good point. you think I should wait 6 whole months?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for your sister! And I think a piece of jewelry would be very nice, because it would remind her of her achievement (and her commitment) every time she wears it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh, to be honest I never thought of that. good point. you think I should wait 6 whole months?
It's entirely up to you. But I know from my perspective that when I was quitting the last thing I wanted was people constantly reminding me of smoking because that just made it worse for me.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her an IOU. Tell her that if she makes it to 6 months you will treat her to dinner, or maybe a spa day. Something that will pamper her. The IOU will motivate her to stay on the path to a smoke free life.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Being a smoker who wants to quit myself, here are a few suggestions:

A gift certificate to something like a beading class. These activities are good to keep your hands busy.

Even a nice cozy throw blanket for the sofa, that she will know will never smell like smoke!

A visit from a homecleaner, to rid the walls etc. of the smell (this could be a touchy subject, so be careful).

Some really nice smelling spa type products (ie. Aveda body lotion or hair conditioner). She will appreciate the benefits of going to bed smelling excellent and waking up to a nice scent. A reinforcement to staying off the habit!

Yoga classes. Yoga makes you appreciate your body and your breathing. Plus, it's not super strenuous.

To me smell is something you have to sacrifice when you smoke. That's why, products that make you feel like you smell great can help to re-inforce the quitting. For example, I'm so excited to go to bed smelling amazing when i've told myself to cut back. That in itself stops me from smoking late at night.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

she swims and tans a LOT. she really doesn't like crafts, just sewing clothes...I know she'd love an emerald bracelet, but whoa-$$$

maybe a nice green australian crystal one? what do you think?
all that tanning can lead to skin cancer (which is not good eithor!) maybe you could get her a gift certificate to try "Mystic Tan" instead
OR a nice new swim suite!
(i love to swim as well
)

the bracelet sounds like a lovely idea- i'm sure the australian crystal one would look nice too

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

That's a great idea!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a former smoker (quit close to 4 years ago
) I can say that one of the BEST things that I would have liked to receive would be a gift certificate to my favorite hair salon.

Specifically because, one of the first and best things that I noticed after a few weeks of not smoking anymore was that I could suddenly SMELL MY OWN HAIR! That shampoo smell is WONDERFUL after smelling yucky smoke smell for YEARS.

So to go and get my hair done, then walk out of the salon smelling that yummy apple shampoo they use - oh, it was fantastic.

Just one idea from one former smoker.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

As a former smoker (quit close to 4 years ago
) I can say that one of the BEST things that I would have liked to receive would be a gift certificate to my favorite hair salon.

Specifically because, one of the first and best things that I noticed after a few weeks of not smoking anymore was that I could suddenly SMELL MY OWN HAIR! That shampoo smell is WONDERFUL after smelling yucky smoke smell for YEARS.

So to go and get my hair done, then walk out of the salon smelling that yummy apple shampoo they use - oh, it was fantastic.

Just one idea from one former smoker.
Aww, Betsy, thats a wonderful idea..and any woman would love that!

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think a combination gift would be great! Maybe a few scented candles and some chocolate! The chocolate because I hear when you quit smoking you can finally taste real flavors again, so that might be nice

I am proud of her too! It isn't something easy to do.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want to thank everybody for so many great ideas. I think I'm going to have to make a basket for her, maybe a sewing basket, and put some of all your ideas into it.

a bracelet, a nice candle, some really good smelly bath and hair products, a gift cert for the tanning or nail place, ooh she'd love that.

thanks to all of you so much for your input, and for taking the time to give it some thought and share with me.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just want to thank everybody for so many great ideas. I think I'm going to have to make a basket for her, maybe a sewing basket, and put some of all your ideas into it.

a bracelet, a nice candle, some really good smelly bath and hair products, a gift cert for the tanning or nail place, ooh she'd love that.

thanks to all of you so much for your input, and for taking the time to give it some thought and share with me.
The best part of this gift basket is that it'll be LOADED with love.
What a wonderful sister you are.