Firefox problem.. any ideas?

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using FF for a long time, and I've never had any problems with it. I don't use it all the time, because I like Opera better, but there are times when I use it. A while back, when I tried to open it, it gave a message saying "Firefox is already running, but not responding. Close your existing Firefox program or restart your system"

.. I've restarted my computer several times since then, had it off for a long time, and I've even tried to re-download it.. and it's still not opening.. and I don't know what else to do with it, but I want it to open. Has anyone else had this problem, or know what to do about it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I uninstalled FF and tried installing again.. but it's still saying the same thing. A window doesn't open or anything.. just a little popup box saying to close my program. I'm so lost.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you uninstall it, the profile is still on your computer as it has your favourites etc, make a backup elsewhere and then delete the profile folder.

Alos try Control + Alt + Delete and see if firefox.exe is running in the processes

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

When you uninstall it, the profile is still on your computer as it has your favourites etc, make a backup elsewhere and then delete the profile folder.

Alos try Control + Alt + Delete and see if firefox.exe is running in the processes
I don't see a FF program running when I do Ctrl + Alt + Delete. What do you mean by making a "backup" somewhere else?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I uninstalled FF the profile folder remained on my computer, I didn't want to lose my bookmarks etc so I made a back up (just copied the folder and moved it elsewhere).

However, it could be an add on in your profile that is the problem

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I uninstalled FF the profile folder remained on my computer, I didn't want to lose my bookmarks etc so I made a back up (just copied the folder and moved it elsewhere).

However, it could be an add on in your profile that is the problem
I uninstalled FF from add/remove programs, and then deleted the startup file from my documents. I don't have any bookmarks on FF, so I'm not worried about losing anything. Is there any other files I don't know about?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There will be a profile folder somewhere other than the Programs file, this shows you how to get to it: (taken from the link Natalie_ca provided)

For Windows users

In Windows 2000 and later, the "Application Data" folder ("AppData" folder in Windows Vista) in the profile folder locations given below is hidden by default. To quickly find your profile folder you can use the %APPDATA% environment variable:

* Windows 2000 and XP: Choose "Start → Run → Type in %APPDATA% → click OK"
* Windows Vista: Choose "Start → Start Search → Type in %APPDATA% → press Enter"

This will open a Windows Explorer window showing the contents of the "Application Data" folder in Windows 2000 and XP or the "AppData" folder in Windows Vista. You can then open successive folders (e.g., Mozilla → Firefox) until you get to the desired folder. You can also specify which folder to open; for example, entering %APPDATA%\\Mozilla\\Firefox in the Windows XP Run box will open "Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox".

Viewing hidden files and folders: To enable viewing of hidden files and folders, open Windows Explorer (or My Computer), then

* Windows 2000 and XP: Click "Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders"
* Windows Vista: Click "Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders"

Using Windows Search: You can also search for specific files in your profile folder or other hidden locations using Windows Search. In Windows 2000 you must first enable viewing of hidden files and folders, as above. In Windows XP and Vista, you enable searching for hidden files and folders in the Search tool itself: "Start → Search → More advanced options → select "Search hidden files and folders" ("Include non-indexed, hidden or system files" in Vista [1]).

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There will be a profile folder somewhere other than the Programs file, this shows you how to get to it: (taken from the link Natalie_ca provided)
That must have been from one of the links I didn't look through.. I tried it and it worked. Lets see how long it'll last. Thanks guys.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely sounds like an add-on you installed then, as they would be stored there to start up when FF does.

If you remember which one you installed before it started happening?

FF also had an automatic update over the last few days (to a new version) maybe it just didn't install correctly

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It definitely sounds like an add-on you installed then, as they would be stored there to start up when FF does.

If you remember which one you installed before it started happening?

FF also had an automatic update over the last few days (to a new version) maybe it just didn't install correctly
I don't remember installing anything with it or for it. I installed FF, and only use it every now and then. I know that it's working now, and I'll pay more attention to make sure it doesn't do anything strange again..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest that you uninstall Mozilla-Firefox.

Then go to:
Start
Settings
Control Panel
Click on "Folder Options"
Click "View" Tab
Click next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
Click "OK"

Then go to "My Computer"
Click on "C" Drive
Documents and Settings
Your Profile name
Application Data (it won't show unless you have selected "Show Hidden Files and Folders" as instructed above.
Locate your "Mozilla" folder
Delete the Mozilla folder

Go back to Control Panel, locate Folder Options, pick the View tab, and uncheck "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Click "OK"

Reboot your computer.

Then using Internet Explorer, go to the following link and download an older version of Firefox.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

I suspect your problems may be due to an upgrade of firefox to version 2.

If that doesn't help, I don't know what else to suggest. I gave you several links above that had solutions. Did you try them?