My dogs saved Tiger

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a little reluctant to share because I am so embarrassed and I feel guilty that Tiger got outside in the first place. I feel like a really bad Mom.

So here's what happened. The house was hot today, so I decided to let some fresh air in. We have a huge, glass sliding door and a screen door that keeps stuff out. I had the glass part open, and I thought the screen door had been locked. (The dogs can open it otherwise and come inside.) It turns out the latch had been broken for some time now, only I didn't know because I've been away the semester at college.

Tiger and Ziltoid were exploring the house the last I saw them, and I went to go take the stuff out of the dryer. Suddenly I heard a commotion and noticed that the stray boxer was running towards our deck. Now, the deck wraps half way around the house. The way the boxer was coming up was the shortcut way to the screen door.

Confused, I went outside and to my horror Tiger had gotten out. I suppose he figured out how to open the screen door since it's very light. Instead of running back into the door, he ran past it and hid underneath one of our pots. At the point where I was, and where the dog was, I wasn't going to make it on time.

Then from the stairs that are right by the pot, my two dogs rush up from their dog houses and go straight for the boxer! A fight ensues between him and my german shepherd, Grace, while my black lab, Shadow, sits in front of the pot and snarls at him.

All the while I'm yelling for him to get out and get off, but I'm too scared to get near him because I honestly don't know if he bites people. This is the closest he's ever come to the house. Finally, both Shadow and Grace run him off of the deck and he scampers off the property and back towards his house. While this happens, I scoop Tiger up and find that he's fine. When the girls come back, they both began whining at me. Surprisingly, Tiger wasn't scared at them, but I took him inside anyway and put him in his carrier to calm down. I don't suppose he knows that the girls were fighting to save him?

I've looked over both the dogs, and as far as I can tell, they've suffered no injuries. Grace is going straight into the vet tomorrow morning to make sure a previous injury of hers hasn't been aggravated. She was shot by a neighbor years ago for trespassing, and after numerous vet visits, they said it would be more damaging to her leg to remove it than to leave it in. I just want to make sure today's fight didn't do anything to change the condition of the bullet fragment. (Yes, we've talked to the local PD about the incident, and they said because Grace did leave our property that there was nothing they could do about her being shot.
)

I'm so grateful that Grace and Shadow were here to help out. I don't even want to think of the alternative. Whoever decided to dump off these two dogs out here are missing out on some amazing girls. We found Shadow wandering on our property with every bone in her body showing. It turns out the reason someone dumped her off was because she was pregnant.
She's now fixed, and at her proper weight. Then Grace was one of four puppies that were, literally, thrown off the side of one of bridges here in a box. None of the girls were hurt, and they're all fixed and have good homes.

I suppose that's my story of the day. I still feel like a bad Mom for Tiger getting out.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank heavens for your girls!

Have you called animal control about that Boxer? The person shouldn't be allowing it to roam free as it is, especially if it's aggressive as it sounds like.

I would certainly contact animal control and at the very least have them speak to the owners of the dog. It sounds like kids could be in danger of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am going to go talk to his owners tomorrow about the incident. They're almost never home, which is probably why he's always here. I feel sorry for the dog himself, because it isn't his fault his owners don't care enough to properly fence in their yard.

It seems we can't get our fence up fast enough, but 5 acres of land is a lot to get zoned off.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't feel bad about Tiger getting out; how are you supposed to know that it was broken if no one has told you? You shut and locked the screen door in good faith.

What good doggies! How brave and courageous, and sweet!
I hope they get extra treats or a steak tonight!

Tricia

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're in College Station, Texas? Oh please don't talk to the owner yourself! Ask animal control or the police to do it for you! There are just too many nuts with guns here in Texas. It isn't safe to confront anyone about anything, no matter how nicely you do it.

By the way... did you know they passed a law here the other day allowing the state to issue HUNTING licenses to BLIND people? Like we don't have enough hunting accidents around here already, what with our Vice President and all. But I guess in Texas, we just feel it would be wrong to deny anyone the experience of putting a bullet into an innocent living creature. Life just isn't complete without some killing, right?

Excuse me. I'll go back to my corner and seethe quietly now.

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

You're in College Station, Texas? Oh please don't talk to the owner yourself! Ask animal control or the police to do it for you! There are just too many nuts with guns here in Texas. It isn't safe to confront anyone about anything, no matter how nicely you do it.

By the way... did you know they passed a law here the other day allowing the state to issue HUNTING licenses to BLIND people? Like we don't have enough hunting accidents around here already, what with our Vice President and all. But I guess in Texas, we just feel it would be wrong to deny anyone the experience of putting a bullet into an innocent living creature. Life just isn't complete without some killing, right?

Excuse me. I'll go back to my corner and seethe quietly now.
I'm actually in Floresville, Texas for the summer. We're about 30-ish miles out of San Antonio, literally, in the middle of no where. I definitely hear you about crazy people with guns. That's how poor Grace got shot the first time.
We usually have a tough time getting anyone to come out here to pick up stray animals. Though I suppose if I make a big enough fuss, someone will come out to pick him up if his owners won't do anything about him hanging around here.

And WHAT? How... can a blind person hunt? Dear goodness, the things people come up with.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CP, I'm in complete agreement, of course.

Fraggles, don't feel bad, you couldn't possibly have known. Actually, you should feel really proud that your two puppies did so well. I think that's a direct reflection on you. I'm so glad everyone is okay. If you approach your neighbors yourself, I'd be very careful... take someone with you at least. I'd personally be torn between talking to them to try to do it in a peacable friendly manner or taking the more officious route. Sometimes that type of pet owner needs to hear the officious route before they'll pay attention. Regardless of your personal safety.. you might go over there, talk to the guy, and then have the boxer over on your lawn again, causing some sort of problem, and this time it might be a lot more serious.. all because he just didn't take your conversation with him seriously.

And I suspect the kitty probably knows the deal, and realizes the pups protected her.

I'm so glad everything is okay.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad everybody's O.K.!

I read your story, and I was reeling about your neighbor having the "right" to shoot your kitty, when I read:

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

...By the way... did you know they passed a law here the other day allowing the state to issue HUNTING licenses to BLIND people?...
For a second, I thought CarolPetunia was saying that hunters can now shoot people in the eyes legally.
But both are crazy and outrageous!

You've got some great dogs there. All your animals are so lucky to have you. I hope everything turns out at the vet.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your dogs get an extra big treat today - that was a very brave thing to do to stand up for their little buddy!

Don't feel bad - you did all you knew to do to keep Tiger safe, sometimes things just happen. And we're all so relieved that nothing awful happened!

I just wanted to say Howdy to a fellow College Stationer.
Do you go to A&M?

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My in-laws live in Sutherland Springs,TX not too far from you. I'm in San Antonio.

Glad to here your kitty's safe.

Originally Posted by Fraggles

I'm actually in Floresville, Texas for the summer. We're about 30-ish miles out of San Antonio, literally, in the middle of no where. I definitely hear you about crazy people with guns. That's how poor Grace got shot the first time.
We usually have a tough time getting anyone to come out here to pick up stray animals. Though I suppose if I make a big enough fuss, someone will come out to pick him up if his owners won't do anything about him hanging around here.

And WHAT? How... can a blind person hunt? Dear goodness, the things people come up with.

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I hope your dogs get an extra big treat today - that was a very brave thing to do to stand up for their little buddy!

Don't feel bad - you did all you knew to do to keep Tiger safe, sometimes things just happen. And we're all so relieved that nothing awful happened!

I just wanted to say Howdy to a fellow College Stationer.
Do you go to A&M?
Yeup, I'll be graduating in Dec of 08 as a Poultry Science major. It's really exciting, but scary at the same time. I guess this is where that thing called "real life" starts. Scary.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always do what I did - graduate and go back for more!
I was Biomed as an undergrad, and now I'm finishing up my second year as a graduate student in genetics. Always fun to meet another Aggie!