Any Painters? Walls ...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the story. We are moving to my Mom's and what is going to be our room is currently painted cream & a border with flowers. She cleaned the walls 6 months ago but does smoke up there. Is it really necessary to prime the walls if we are going to paint it gold/tan?

Removing the border is not an option at this time. Would the darker paint cover the border without priming?

I was told we don't have to prime or clean the walls and to just paint the dang room. DH wants to clean the walls with TSP, prime, & spackle. We have 2 weekends to do all the work and the last room took 3 weekends.

HELP!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From my experience, PRIME! It actually does save some time I think. You end up needing less coats of paint plus it blocks out the nicotine and stuff on the wall. What kind of a boarder does she have up? (wallpaper or some thing different) I don't know that I'd paint over just a boarder. You might be able to see the difference from the texture and the thickness of the boarder, even though it's the same color going over top of it. Maybe later on you can 'paint' a new boarder over it so it looks like it's supposed to be that way or something?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

From my experience, PRIME! It actually does save some time I think. You end up needing less coats of paint plus it blocks out the nicotine and stuff on the wall. What kind of a boarder does she have up? (wallpaper or some thing different) I don't know that I'd paint over just a boarder. You might be able to see the difference from the texture and the thickness of the boarder, even though it's the same color going over top of it. Maybe later on you can 'paint' a new boarder over it so it looks like it's supposed to be that way or something?
I want to put another border up since we can't take it down but DH keeps saying NO! The problem is, MOM painted over wall paper and if we take the border down there is a 90% chance all the paper will have to come down. We just don't have the time for it. I dunno what DH is doing wrong but the spackle is taking one day, priming is taking 2 days & addtional 2 days for painting. I never painted before so I have no clue what we are doing wrong. I so just want this over and done with. He wants to clean the walls also which is another day lost.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That does sound like a potential mess! DH and I got most of our house done in a few days. I don't know why it takes him so long. We have a system for it I guess. He rolls, I do edging.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

That does sound like a potential mess! DH and I got most of our house done in a few days. I don't know why it takes him so long. We have a system for it I guess. He rolls, I do edging.
We had something like that. I did the edging and he did the ceiling. Oh and he leaves roll marks. I wish we had the money to pay someone. We are paying someone to do the basement and it will be $630 but we are splitting the cost with mom.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would prime it, but you can get your primer tinted to match (or almost match) the paint color you are using, so it will take less (and possibly only one) coat of paint to finish. Otherwise, the nicotine can leech out of the walls and ick- you don't want that
. You could always paint the border a different color (to match whatever you are going to put in there) and then stamp a border on top of it. Maybe even rag roll it before you stamp it. I rag rolled our daughter's bathroom and stamped a border in our bedroom, and it really wasn't that bad and didn't take that long- plus, the stamping is something you can do after you get settled in. Good luck!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely prime! And you need to find out if the paint on the wall is oil or latex. It's probably latex, but if it is oil, you can use a primer so that the latex will stick. Otherwise, the paint will peel off in sheets. Happened in an apartment I rented once where the owner just slapped on latex over oil.

I've found that the prep (cleaning and taping) takes as much time as the painting, but if the prep is done right the actual painting goes very fast. Have fun! Painting is such an easy way to completely change the look of a room!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if you have a poor result with roller marks or things bleeding through, you can always go back and do an interesting finish over it with a second shade, or even just a glaze, so you end up with a texture made up of matte and gloss. I saw a room once where they masked off big one-foot-wide stripes and painted every other one with a glaze... looked great!