Question for those of you who have a fish tank in your home with your kitties.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this question is for those of you who have fish tanks/aquariums in your home living with you and your kitties. Do your kitties ever BEG you to feed the fish so that they can watch the fishes/try to hunt them??? Kojak is such a little weirdo. He knows exactly what time we feed the fish and will go so far as to throw himself into the floor and scream this obnixous scream and paw at us until we feed his fishy so that he can watch it eat and try to paw at the tank
he's such a goof
doesn't seem to bother Blue Tattoo any though (our betta). Anyone else have kitties that like to watch the fishies when it's feeding time?? Surely Kojak can't be the only one

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes,mine do!! They can be in the other end of the house and hear the lid on the fish food or tank open. Of course they can't just watch the fishy eat...they have to have a bite of the fishy food too!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch always runs right up at feeding time. But she sits there watching them just about any time! She'll also sit across the room and watch from the cat tree or the chair. I had to duct-tape the filter to the back of the tank because she would mess with it. A few times I found it half out of the tank, THANKFULLY it was pouring the water back into the tank still though!
Oh and the fish food has to be in a nice container with the other fishy supplies because they will steal it!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Mooch always runs right up at feeding time. But she sits there watching them just about any time! She'll also sit across the room and watch from the cat tree or the chair. I had to duct-tape the filter to the back of the tank because she would mess with it. A few times I found it half out of the tank, THANKFULLY it was pouring the water back into the tank still though!
Oh and the fish food has to be in a nice container with the other fishy supplies because they will steal it!
I've got duct tape on my filter,too! And the lid!!

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 2 large tanks in our living room and Pepper will follow my husband all over the place in the morning when he is getting ready to feed the fish. She will run back and forth from one tank to the other watching all of the flakes swirl around! She's such a nut!

The other 2 don't pay much attention though.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Carly just wants some of the fish food and hangs out on top of the aquarium because the lamp is warm. Lucy watched the fish when she was a kitten but now only Much sometimes watches them.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol sounds, fun.
the only time they ever looked at it was the time i moved it down to where they could see the fish. After the first couple of days, they dont even look at it anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad to know there are other fish loving kitties out there

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie
yes...

Zoey has litterally gone fishing ... I got lids

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't care much about the food, they just like to watch the fish. PeeWee in particular... so much so, we've started calling the tank "Wee TV" and water changes are now known as "Sweeps Week".

Hope you don't mind a picture injected in here.... but I thought it was just so fitting

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! See we named him Peewee because with his grey suit and white shoes he looks like Peewee Herman. So of course he needed a red bow tie too!

(Ok, maybe I'm just nuts
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG! PeeWee Herman!?!?
And I thought my cats names were original....yours so tops mine!
I like it though!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bob comes running when I open the cabinet that contains the fish food. He actually could care less about the fish, he wants the food

When we first set up the tank the cats watched the fish all the time but now they mostly ignore them. Once in a while one of them will sit up on the table and watch them and bat at the fishes.

Egore is ignoring the sign about no fishing.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very small tank, about 1.5 gallons, and Scooter and Fluffy love it. It sits on a bookcase that they are allowed to sit on, so they think it is great fun to bat at the betta in the tank. He joins right in and buffs up like he is going to fight. Pepper insisted on having a tast of the fishy food once, but spat it on the floor and gave me a dirty look.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stimpy likes to watch the cory cats in our 10 gallon and the white clouds in our 2 gallon. but for the last month or so our algae problem blocked out kitty tv.
now that he can see them again, he watches them from the couch.

we mainly just have to make sure the big tank has a hood that will support a 17-lb cat.
he still likes to jump up there sometimes.

our kitties sniff at the fish food, but i've never let them have any.