Adopted a new feral cat that will not eat

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me begin by first giving some background info.

My girlfriend and I adopted a feral cat three days ago. We named him Oliver. He is about one year old and has previously seen a vet to receive shots and flea treatment (although he was reintroduced to his untreated mother so now he has fleas again).

We are keeping him in our master bedroom with us. He has been scared to say the least, but this is not surprising as I have read other threads documenting similar experiences that others have had with new ferals. Our bedroom has a small hallway that leads to a bathroom, which is connected to a small toilet room. He likes to hide in the toilet room either next to the toilet, or behind the door. I think he does this to avoid us in the main bedroom.

We placed a litter box in the bathroom, and dry food + water bowls in the toilet room.

My main concern is that he has eaten very little in the last three days. He will not eat any dry food. He did eat a spoonful of canned tuna that I placed next to him the other night... but that is it. How long can he go for without eating and is this stress related? I really want him to eat some food and ease my mind a bit.

I appreciate any help that you guys can offer. I am willing to be very patient with this cat to earn his trust.

-Jordan

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would try some wet food, some tuna flavored or that has tuna in it. also wet some dry food, and mix some tuna juice into it, might work. kittens can fade fast, so be careful!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

As for the not eating....I would try wet food. Meow Mix cups are easily accessible, smell strong, & are of a decent quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your quick response.

Originally Posted by Liza24

i would try some wet food, some tuna flavored or that has tuna in it. also wet some dry food, and mix some tuna juice into it, might work. kittens can fade fast, so be careful!
I tried this earlier today and twice yesterday. I put some tuna on top of wet cat food. He will look at it then ignore it.

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

What kind of wet food did you try?
It is called "Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance". I think the flavor is Turkey and Giblet. Should I try a different brand/flavor?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by peadalo

It is called "Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance". I think the flavor is Turkey and Giblet. Should I try a different brand/flavor?
Yes. That isn't all that stinky....seafoods are best. Things like Meow Mix cups are the stinkiest, but otherwise, seafood in general tends to smell more....at least enough to hopefully spark some interest!

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got out the tuna & shrimp flavor and mixed some tuna juice into it. It is real stinky... hopefully he goes for it.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
anything? and i agree, the Meow Mix cups are the best!

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing yet

He is hiding between the bathroom door and the wall with the food in front of him. Should I just leave him alone with it for a long time?

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I hope the stinkier one worked. Do you know what Oliver was eating before he came to live with you?
He was eating dry food actually. It was Purina Kitty Chow.

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is showing no interest in the food. He also hissed twice when I walked in there. Should I close the bathroom door and leave him alone in there for a while? I am afraid that he will starve himself like this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does he have somewhere to hide a little?

If not, do make such a possibility.

A cat-igloo or a sideturned cardboardbox (with a towel to lie on) is OK.

This way he can stress down some.

And let him be. He will probably eat at night when alone and everything quiet.

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a kennel with a blanket to lie on in the bedroom, but I think he is too scared to come out of the bathroom at the moment. He is hiding between the wall and the toilet right now.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree there, gotta let him have time to settle in.

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another night passed and he has not eaten any noticeable amount of food. I don't think he has eaten at all.

Overnight we left a bowl of water and dry food in the bathroom, and in the bedroom, along with a meow mix in the bedroom. Can he starve himself? It has been pretty much 4 days.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you need to take him to a vet. Cats can get fatty liver disease from not eating. And Fatty Liver can kill.
Poor kitty...

peadalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to feed him some more wet food, and I am trying Gerber baby food right now. If he doesn't eat it then I will take him to a nearby vet.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let us know if you can get him to eat, or what the vet says! Poor thing. If only they could understand that they are safe.