Update on kitty with mast cell tumor/No surgery or chemo!

kittysmother

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Praise the Lord, I had a miracle yesterday. His cancerous tumor which I thought would spread and kill the kitty has been cured..for a mere $1,071.00, but he is worth EVERY penny!!!

The vet opthamologist called yesterday with the best news possible. He mentioned a C02 laser that he would use on this surgery and said it is the only way to attempt the surgery. The recovery would be nothing because it creates a superficial burn and the laser zaps the nerves so there is NO pain with it. He hasn't seen any of these lesions come back after the laser "vaporizes" the tumor. It leaves a small hole and will fill in with skin and hair. And, his ultrasound looked GREAT...his intestines weren't thickened, and his liver and spleen looked great. The opthamoligist was SO confindent that this was a simple fix that I gave him permission to do the surgery yesterday afternoon. I don't have to do anything more, not even ointment! He can't give me a 100% guarantee, but he's pretty sure this should take care of it for all time. He wants to check him in a month when he comes back, but that is it. BEST news I couldn've gotten all day. I certainly wasn't expecting such a positive result. I figured he might tell me the surgery could be done, but with a scalpel and reconstruction. I am so glad we went ahead with it.

He was dazed and confused last night and very unstable on his feet. But, he peed as soon as he got home and nibbled a little food right away. We had him relax on a blanket with a heating pad under it last night. When it came time for bed, we brought his food and litter box to our room and shut the door. I made a little bed for him on the floor so he wouldn't feel compelled to jump on our bed. I don't know how much he actually slept, but he tried to sleep anyway. He walked down the hallway and stairs just fine this morning. My kitty is going to be OK!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yay!! That is certainly some wonderful news!! Lots of happy, fast recovery {{vibes}} for your baby!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow

Do you have info on this lazer??? as I may need to have that done soon

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news!! Miracles do happen. Were they able to save his eye and eyelid? It's a good thing you got that 3rd opinion! You probably saved that baby from enduring lots of suffering. I know you must be so relieved!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittysmother

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

That's wonderful news!! Miracles do happen. Were they able to save his eye and eyelid? It's a good thing you got that 3rd opinion! You probably saved that baby from enduring lots of suffering. I know you must be so relieved!
Yes, he has a little "hole in his head', right above his eye. It is about 4 mm deep (about 1/8" deep). His eye and eyelid look fine. Just a little greasy from some ointment the doc had on there.
Can you see the pic:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...her/Kitty1.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittysmother

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Wow

Do you have info on this lazer??? as I may need to have that done soon
All I know is that it is a C02 laser. They use them on people too. If you want more specifics, you can send me a PM.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm happy to hear the good news! Miracles do happen! YAY!!

I hope things continue to go well.

~KK~