Why are people so cruel?

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im really upset right now. Ive just had a rotten last few days. With the baby being sick and the cats being sick. Today I took all 10 foster cats to the vet. Plus a crying baby. That was interesting. I think the other people there thought I was some crazy women. Sitting their with a crying baby, cat with a harness and leash sitting on my lap, a very PO yowling and growling cat in one crate with her two scared kittens, and in plastic picnic basket thingie six 12 week old angry/sick kittens. I was laughing at myself. Then the chaos in the exam room. OMG The vet opened the basket with Skye's kittens (12 weeks) and they all came poaring out. They were getting into everything! We lost one and ended up finding him playing in the trash can. Skye freaked out when the vet took her temp. So then came out Calamity who proceeded to growl and spit at the vet the whole time she was being looked at.
Then the distributing of medicine to everyone (exept Skye who got a clean bill of health) which was insane. The vets office is were the rescue I foster for is based. While I was there someone brought in a kitten that had been mauled by their dog (was a stray kitten) they just walked in said what happened and while no one was watching ran off.
Then someone else brought in a litter of kittens that their cat had but their cat died a few days after it had them and they tried to handraise them but didnt feel like they were doing a good job. They gave a $200 donation to pay for their care.
Which ofcourse was nice but why let their cat get pregnant in the first place? Then I get home and check my email. I have about 10 different emails from jerks bashing our adoption fee for kittens saying we will never adopt any of them at that price! $100 is nothing for all we put into the kittens we take in. Why are people so ignorant, cruel and just plain stupid?!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sweetie- i wonder the same thing just about every single day. I see soo much garbage at the shelter where i work. and then with what recently happened to my foster dog Norris
it can get very frusterating. BUT you know what- for every idiot out there- there are people like you and i who care and make a difference in the lives of those animals- and that is what matters
you're doing a great job! By the way- i totally think you're superwoman for being able to foster all those kitties and take care of that sweet baby Ariana!!!
(we need more pictures of her by the way
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Aww sweetie- i wonder the same thing just about every single day. I see soo much garbage at the shelter where i work. and then with what recently happened to my foster dog Norris
it can get very frusterating. BUT you know what- for every idiot out there- there are people like you and i who care and make a difference in the lives of those animals- and that is what matters
you're doing a great job! By the way- i totally think you're superwoman for being able to foster all those kitties and take care of that sweet baby Ariana!!!
(we need more pictures of her by the way
)
Thanks. I know what Im doing helps. But sometimes it doesnt feel like it at all. Its really not that hard when they are all feeling well. The moms take care of their litters and the kittens exhaust each other during play time. Ive always fostered so I didnt even think about stopping when I found out I was pregnant. Im currently fostering five 2 week old pups too. Its kinda funny because they are on the same schedule as Ari. I feed and put her to sleep then I feed and clean up the pups. It works out well. I also work at a petstore so the puppies can go to work with me for now. When they are older they will be going to my upstairs neighbor with Ari during the day. So they will never be alone. I cant have my own pets (cant afford it) so I enjoy my foster babies. Maybe eventually I can have pets of my own again.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just sitting here dumbfounded. You ladies amaze me! In my whole life, I've never had that much energy. Bless you for all you do!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont think most people are that way. There are some that are.

As for the ones that dropped off there kitten and ran off, its easy to see why, they did not have the money , and they are hoping someone will help it.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot of people dont understand what goes into caring for an animal. (Bottle babies in particular) I would just write those people off as ones who dont deserve to have such a special family member.

But dont give up on people entirely. We just had someone drop off a litter of 3 kittens who where about 7 days old at the vet's office I work at. They understood what was invovled in bottle feeding and knew that they weren't prepared enough to do it. They plan on keeping one of them and finding homes for the other 2 when they are big enough.

There are nasty, cruel people out there, But you have to think of the ones who are not.

Here's another great example of a good person. Armani is the sweetest, tubby little black and white cat you ever did want to see. He came in because he blocked and we had to place a urinary catheter. After we removed it, his bladder wouldn't contract. He had to be put on a mediction that cost 83 dollars for a couple of days supply. (We didn't carry it so they had to get it from a pharmacy) He had to be on the medication for 2 weeks. His mommy never flinched at the cost. She just wanted him to be better.

Those are the kind of people who you want to adopt a pet to. Not some stupid person who thinks 100 dollars is a lot of money to spend on an animal.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My friend, who's eight months pregnant, is fostering a mother cat and four kittens right now. (J and I are helping, and her husband helps, of course, but she does the bulk of the work.) She has stories from her years working in a vet's office and then the Humane Society that would cause me to lose all faith in humanity if it weren't for the other stories of incredible goodness that she shares. I am continually amazed at all the work that she -- and other foster moms, like yourself -- does.

As for the price ... Where I live, the Humane Society charges (approximately, it's been more than three years since I last adopted a cat) $150. It used to be that they charged slightly less to adopt boys, because the neutering surgery costs less than spaying, but they made it so the costs were equal because people balked at paying more for a female cat (or dog). Considering that they also don't charge extra for the cats and dogs who require much more extensive surgery and have huge medical bills, I think $150 is a bargain. Really, most people have absolutely no clue as to how much time, effort and money goes into the fostering and medical needs of cats and dogs -- I would be just as clueless if it weren't for my friend (and my friends here at TCS!).

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a wonderful person, doing a great job to take in and help all these cats. $100 is NOT too much to ask for an adoption fee after all the cost, time and effort you have put into them.

There will always be jerks. Just don't let them get to you.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have about 10 different emails from jerks bashing our adoption fee for kittens saying we will never adopt any of them at that price! $100 is nothing for all we put into the kittens we take in. Why are people so ignorant, cruel and just plain stupid?!
This is more then a fair price for a kitten. I paid $168 when I adopted Linus and never thought twice about it.
People who are concerned at the cost of adopting pets certainly should think twice about whether they really want a pet after all.
Pets are a part of the family and they do incur expenses. This is something that should be consider even before the choice to adopt is made.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$100 isn't bad if it includes the first shots and a spay/neuter... I think I paid $150 for my kitten (adopted)! Im sorry you are having a bad day (I am too) sounds like you need a vacation! Hang tight and soon you will be past all of this chaos, your plate is full, I am suprised you are handling it as well as you are! Damn the bad days huh? I bet it at least felt a little better to vent to us, it always helps me! Here is to brighter days

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stupid people are out in force this time of year.

We get tons of smut here at the HS from people who don't want to pay $50 for a cat dog or kitten. They can get one for free in the paper! And then they aren't required vet care.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Ive just been way to busy to get on. Im feeling alot better. I was just having such a bad day with all the cats being sick and seeing all those poor babies at the vet. Im allowed to be emotional. I also got a wonderful call from Meeka's soon to be new parents. They thought she was so cute and fell for her pic. Anyways they were talking about how they were shocked when they found out her adoption fee was ONLY $100. Since they are older too going on 13 weeks they dont have as many shots needed then the other kittens in the rescue. Just thinking about how much the rescue has put into them. Just the kittens so far $45 pull fee EACH (to get them out of AC), $80 each on worming, $95 each on shots, almost $200 on food and well over $100 on litter. Thats over $500 for one litter! Not even counting two things of Clavamox and some other kind of antibiotic. We have about 10 litters in the rescue right now. The rescue buys everything! If people only knew.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad things are going better for you
Maybe someone could design a poster of what the rescue spends per kitten to hang on the wall? Something cute but informative.
Hug Ari for me!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I'm so glad things are going better for you
Maybe someone could design a poster of what the rescue spends per kitten to hang on the wall? Something cute but informative.
Hug Ari for me!
We do have one. Alot of people when they do find out that average cost around here to get ONE kitten fully vetted is about $400. So $100 is nothing. But their are those ones that through a huge fit right there in the middle of everyone that we will never adopt any of our cats out if we are asking that much. Of course those are also the kind of people that most likely wont take their pets to the vet to get what they need.