How do you know????

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anything you know how to do, but don't know how you know it???? Can you fix anything mechanical? Build whatever you want without instructions? Program electrical appliances that baffle others? Predict the future??

A couple threads have made me wonder about this. Sophiecusion's bad day was one. The other was Ady's thread about breastfeeding. I just seem to know how to deal with kids and I always have (though, I've gotten better with age). I've never been a parent (though babysitting, siblings, swimming lessons and now being a nanny obviously counts for something), so how do I know how to parent???

I guess a basic understanding of human behaviour can explain some of the advice I would give when dealing with children, but breastfeeding???? I've never breatfed, but I came up with what I think was a good plan on how to stop. It's kind of weird to me. I just seem to be able to figure out what will and will not work with kids.

Or maybe I'm delusional and my advice isn't worth a dime, I don't know.......

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had an area of "expertise" where they don't seem to have any actual experience. So, TCS, share your unexplained talents!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nothing too exciting here. i can pick up just about anything i hear on guitar though without having any tabs or anything in front of me. Same for drums for the most part.

and infant orphaned kittens- i just seem to have a gift about them....most of the ones i take in, make it (not always- but a lot of times). That's taken years of hard work to prefect though and learning lots of little things that help along the way. I've definitely had a lot of good advice from excellent vets/other foster moms along the way though- so credit goes to them

other than that nothing too exciting / Colin is the mr fix it around here- i swear- he can fix just about anything

oh yeah- and i can take ANY ink pen apart just about and put it back together (i'm weird!
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

nothing too exciting here. i can pick up just about anything i hear on guitar though without having any tabs or anything in front of me. Same for drums for the most part.

and infant orphaned kittens- i just seem to have a gift about them....most of the ones i take in, make it (not always- but a lot of times). That's taken years of hard work to prefect though and learning lots of little things that help along the way. I've definitely had a lot of good advice from excellent vets/other foster moms along the way though- so credit goes to them

other than that nothing too exciting / Colin is the mr fix it around here- i swear- he can fix just about anything

oh yeah- and i can take ANY ink pen apart just about and put it back together (i'm weird!
)
I think that's exciting! Saving baby kittens is definitely an incredible skill. I'm so impressed!

I have a pretty good ear for guitar, too, but it's more being able to tell when I'm wrong than actually being able to tab something from scratch. That's so cool! I could never do it on drums, though......

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much, but there are some things I absolutely know for certain because I see them with crystal clarity. For example, a friend might tell me he's applying for a job, and I see the chain of events on a fast-forward until ZIP! I know if he gets the job or not. I know exactly how it will play out. It doesn't happen all the time but it's very accurate when it does.

Is that a talent? Or just weird?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't know much, but there are some things I absolutely know for certain because I see them with crystal clarity. For example, a friend might tell me he's applying for a job, and I see the chain of events on a fast-forward until ZIP! I know if he gets the job or not. I know exactly how it will play out. It doesn't happen all the time but it's very accurate when it does.

Is that a talent? Or just weird?
Heck, yeah! Can you zip to the winning lotto number for me, please????
That must be a cool skill. Are most people receptive to what you have to say or cynical??

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Heck, yeah! Can you zip to the winning lotto number for me, please????
That must be a cool skill. Are most people receptive to what you have to say or cynical??
Ha ha, I wish I could do it on command, but I can't. I even saw my own death. I saw it THREE TIMES before I realized what I was seeing. It was very comforting to me.

People are usually receptive, especially when I start explaining the chain of events.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol well, people have always said,that when i was flying it seemed like i had been flying for years. Even alot of the old time pilots felt just fine with me doing the flying. When i got into aerobatic flying, i could normally do the moves with in just a few attempts.

then again i used to dream alot of flying combat in WW2. who knows

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's definitely a talent! A gift, actually. So now we know why you call yourself a "witch!"

The things I just "know"... well, I learned to read spontaneously, just short of my fourth birthday. Writing came naturally, too... I never paid much attention in English classes, because I didn't need to learn the rules -- I just knew how to do it. (Though I take liberties when writing informally, as we do here.)

And I've always been able to sing! That's what I love most of all.

I've written and sung professionally... but I've never tried to make a career out of this last one:

While I apparently have a mental block regarding my own problems and can never seem to fix my own life, I really seem to have a strong intuition about the problems of others. I can always help them find insight. People have always come to me for advice... even though it's obvious that I haven't done very well for myself!

So I don't know, maybe it's time for me to print up some business cards and become an "Intuitive Counselor!"

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

We can't predict the future and if we could I'm sure the world would be much more different, but that's the fun of it, it's challenging. hope you understand me
I'm going to guess you are talking to me.

I can't predict the future. But sometimes I know how things will play out. There's an example on this forum. I knew when momof3rugratz's baby was going to be born.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...light=due+date

Check out post #63. I didn't have an exact time or weight, so I wasn't added to the list.

I probably wouldn't believe it either, if it didn't happen to me.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm good at giving advice in relationships, even though I've never dated!
I usually end up being right.
Whether watching TV or talking to someone, if they are about to tell me their age the number pops in my head right before they say it and I've never been wrong. On TV, I've had questions pop in my head from shows and even a few of the oscars I was able to the same thing with. I don't know where it comes from or why it happens, it just does. I wish I could do it with the lottery!

I can also play piano and keyboard by ear. If I hear a piece I can figure it out within minutes, but I can't read notes.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ha ha, I wish I could do it on command, but I can't. I even saw my own death. I saw it THREE TIMES before I realized what I was seeing. It was very comforting to me.

People are usually receptive, especially when I start explaining the chain of events.
omg that would be real creepy to me

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny1124

omg that would be real creepy to me
I was holding my baby (who is now nine
) and I was very concerned that I wouldn't live to see her grow up, since I was very, very ill. I was also concerned that she might not grow up. It was like a waking dream, I kept seeing a scenario, and like I said, I didn't "get it" right away. It was comforting because my baby was grown up and with me when I died.

Sorry if it's too creepy. I'm going to log out and watch Doctor Who now.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What was your death?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

What was your death?
It was peaceful. If you mean cause of death, I don't know that. There were people around me but I couldn't make out their faces, only my (grown) daughter's face. She was holding my hand and I did see flashes of my past (all good things). I was ready and it was kind of a relief. It wasn't scary it was peaceful and felt right.

My apologies if I've hijacked this thread.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It was peaceful. If you mean cause of death, I don't know that. There were people around me but I couldn't make out their faces, only my (grown) daughter's face. She was holding my hand and I did see flashes of my past (all good things). I was ready and it was kind of a relief. It wasn't scary it was peaceful and felt right.

My apologies if I've hijacked this thread.
No need to apologize that's very interesting to read!

I think a lot of it is just a demonstration of logic, whether you know it or not. You develop a logic in some aspect of your life that allows you to apply to other areas. You think of something in their life that they can associate with and apply that with what you know.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just sort of "know" how to make things work -- all kinds of things, like computers, VCRs, microwaves, cell phones ... If I pick up a piece of new technology, I typically have it figured out within five minutes of just me poking around until it does what I want it to do. I can also take most things apart and put them back together, and (most importantly) have them work properly (or better). I seldom have to read instructions; I just "know" what to do.

I also "know" actors and actresses, the movies/television shows they're in, or who directed them, or who composed the music. I don't actively seek out this knowledge, nor do I spend a lot of time visiting celebrity or movie/TV sites -- if I see an actor in a movie or on TV, I just remember where it was that I saw, even if it was a brief, five-second appearance where he didn't utter a single word. I'm a walking, talking version of the IMDb. What makes this particularly amusing is that I didn't actually have TV until I was about ten and we didn't get cable television until I was in high school -- and once we did get it, I wasn't all that interested in it. I watch movies and TV now, but not really enough to come by this knowledge. I just have a really good, but really bizarre, memory.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I just sort of "know" how to make things work -- all kinds of things, like computers, VCRs, microwaves, cell phones ... If I pick up a piece of new technology, I typically have it figured out within five minutes of just me poking around until it does what I want it to do. I can also take most things apart and put them back together, and (most importantly) have them work properly (or better). I seldom have to read instructions; I just "know" what to do.

I also "know" actors and actresses, the movies/television shows they're in, or who directed them, or who composed the music. I don't actively seek out this knowledge, nor do I spend a lot of time visiting celebrity or movie/TV sites -- if I see an actor in a movie or on TV, I just remember where it was that I saw, even if it was a brief, five-second appearance where he didn't utter a single word. I'm a walking, talking version of the IMDb. What makes this particularly amusing is that I didn't actually have TV until I was about ten and we didn't get cable television until I was in high school -- and once we did get it, I wasn't all that interested in it. I watch movies and TV now, but not really enough to come by this knowledge. I just have a really good, but really bizarre, memory.
Are you a virgo?

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a "logical thinker," so usually I can look at something and figure out how it works, and then fix it that way. I'll use the instructions for installing something (especially when it's computer-related, lol, because even with the instructions, the computer refuses to work right for me, lol), but usually I understand what goes where, because of WHY it goes there. Like the time long ago when mom and dad disconnected the cable as punishment, so when they were at work one day, I went outside (because dad had gone outside shortly before the cable went out), then went to the garage because I thought that was where he'd gone. I looked around, didn't see any cords or cables that could work for the internet/tv. Then I noticed that absolutely nothing connects the garage to the house, so I took a look at the power lines, which stretched to one spot on the house. I then went to that spot, saw a cord that was disconnected into two, then reconnected it. Went back into the house and voila, the internet and tv were working fine! lol. When the computer isn't working right, either, I'll check the tower and will notice if something looks amiss (and thus can fix it then, but the computer is finicky, sometimes my best efforts produce no result, lol).

My pets are easier, I'm just automatically in tune with how they work.