Manicure/Pedicure....

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a manicure or pedicure? How much should it cost? I made an appointment for both, but it will be my first time. What should I expect???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around $30-45 depending on where you go.
BUT to just get your nails painted should be around $5 for your hand and around $8 for your toenails

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seeing that this is your first manicure, make sure of the following:

1. That they soak your hands and push the cuticles back and don't cut them off (that goes for fingers and toes). The cuticle is there to act as a sealent between your nail and your finger. Cutting it opens that seal up and is a risk for infection.

2. Make sure they sterilize their instruments are sterilized (preferably with an autoclave which steam sterilizes) between customers. If they use wooden orange sticks to push back cuticles, make sure they use a new one for you. They should be using a new one anyway.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one more suggestion- make absolutely sure before you put your feet or hands into any tubs/containers that the place is exceptionally clean and that the water/walls in the tub/container are clean as well. The people need to disinfect between every customer. Also- pass on the callus cutters as far as your pedicure goes and do not get a pedicure if you have any open cuts or raw blisters to help avoid picking up anything that might lead to an infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips!!! I've been quoted much higher prices ($40 for the pedicure, $28 for the manicure with "french" nail polish), but it's an upscale place and we're talking CDN dollars. I booked at the last minute, so I had to look around a bit to find somewhere. I'm dumb and didn't think about what I would do about my nails for my cousin's wedding until today and the wedding is saturday. Sucks that it's expensive, but at least I know it's clean.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here a manicure and pedicure costs $40 (tax included). I have gone for one pedicure, and I didn't really like it, but I have had lots of manicures. I like getting manicures, but I find they are a waste of money because the polish comes off in like a day. I recently got gel nails so that it would stay on, but they were getting annoying so today I took them off.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah- the only real difference in a manicure (if you're not getting fakies) and having your nails done is they dip your hand in water and soak it and then give them a little massage (it's not worth it imo) it's cheaper to get them painted and they still cut/file/push cuticles back/ paint them
(for like $5 where i get mine done) I do however LOVE getting pedicures!!! I have foot pain all the time so getting a pedicure is soooooooo worth it!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want a pedicure soooo badly... but I'm terrified of infection, especially since I'm diabetic.
Tell us all about it, so I can live vicariously through you?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one for before my wedding. it was really nice, I could so get used to them if they didn't cost so much. Which reminds me, I need to paint my toes tonight!

The fake nails will ruin your real nails.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CarolPetunia, when I worked at a salon, we had many diabetics get pedicures. Just make sure it is someone very experienced, and DO NOT let them use the callus trimmer on you. They are even illegal in some places. They got their toenails trimmed properly so they would not have to worry about ingrown nails that could become very painful and cause wounds around the nail. Both my parents were diabetic, and had the worst time trimming their own toenails without hurting them and making them bleed. It was a mess. They would have been so much better off just letting a professional do it. I would recommend a salon rather than one of those little nail shops that do airbrushed nails and such. Those places around here are absolutely filthy.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Thanks for the tips!!! I've been quoted much higher prices ($40 for the pedicure, $28 for the manicure with "french" nail polish), but it's an upscale place and we're talking CDN dollars. I booked at the last minute, so I had to look around a bit to find somewhere. I'm dumb and didn't think about what I would do about my nails for my cousin's wedding until today and the wedding is saturday. Sucks that it's expensive, but at least I know it's clean.
Wow! That's expensive!

You aren't talking Giselle's by any chance are you? I had a manicure there once and I won't go back. It was not a good experience for me.

The beauty salon I go to charges only $15.00 for a manicure including a hand and arm massage and whatever polish you want. I believe the pedicure is $35 or $38 on it's own. You get a bit of a discount if you get both together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Wow! That's expensive!

You aren't talking Giselle's by any chance are you? I had a manicure there once and I won't go back. It was not a good experience for me.

The beauty salon I go to charges only $15.00 for a manicure including whatever polish you want. I believe the pedicure is $35 or $38 on it's own. You get a bit of a discount if you get both together.
No, not Giselle's....I've never heard of that. I'm torn....I could keep calling around tomorrow and see if I can find somewhere else, but I don't know that I'll be able to find something that will fit my work schedule on friday at this late date. Also, it's really just a one time thing, so even though it's pretty darn pricey, it's not going to be habit.

Does anyone in Ontario know a good place to go in the Newmarket/York Region area???

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THere's a little spot by my house that charges $35 for pedicure/manicure. I love the pedicure though!!! It's about an hour long and you get to sit in a massage chair with the spa foot bath.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a manicure and pedi's before! I have only had a manicure once and it was free because I was a hairstylist apprentice at the salon I got it done at! I always got a gel overlay so I don't consider that a manicure, whenever I just get a set of gels it cost about $50 and then fills cost around $25! Pedicures vary... It is cheaper to do a solid color vs a french manicure... French manicure pedi's usually cost me around $35 and I think that regular pedi's were around $25-$28! It's been awhile! If you are getting a mani or a pedi done in a high end salon it is going to cost more than if you were at a local chain (in a non racist way an asian establishment)! Bring money for a tip as well, if you are going to an asian run business they usually will not let you tip on credit card because they do not want to claim it on their taxes (which is illegal and bs), when I was a hairstylist I always had to claim my charged tips! Anyways if you plan on getting both done I would bring at least $60 - $65 bucks!