Update on Norris surgery- they have to amputate.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boss just called me to let me know she had just got off the phone with the vet. The vet started working on Norris soon after i got off the phone with him (around 4:45pm). The vet has been working on his leg a little under an hour when he had to take a break to call Angela. The leg is worse than he thought it was as far as how badly broken it is. When the vet tried to put the plates in, he could not because of how badly shattered it was.
The vet said there was nothing he could do to save the leg. That he was really sorry- it was just worse on the inside than it looked on the outside. So my boss called me and talked to me and i told her i was ok if they wanted to amputate it. So she's calling him back to give him the go ahead to amputate the shattered leg. I hate that the leg could not be saved, but i think in the back of my mind i figured it would have to be amputated just by how he was carrying it. It just makes me wonder though- had the surgery been done by the other vet when it SHOULD have been done- could the leg have been saved. But i guess there's no use in wondering now as that's not possible. So please pray for the vet and Norris as they finish up the amputation surgery. The new vet tried all he could to save the leg- i really appreciate that. But sometimes, things are worse than they appear when you open up the site. That was Norris case. But you know, i'm really not too worried about Norris even though he's loosing the leg. He has already adjusted to walked as a 3 legger and was doing very well so i think he will be just fine. My boss said that she was a little worried about him getting adopted now that he won't have the limb- but i told her everyone loves a sad story- and i thought that him being a 3 legger wouldn't hurt his adoption chances at all
Then she asked me when Colin was going to let me adopt him
How well do my coworkers know me
Please send lots of healing vibes for little Norris when you get a moment- he will need them as he has a long recovery ahead of him. He is such a brillian dog!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG poor pup! I thought they said they wouldn't have to amputate!!? They shouldn't say things like that until they are completely sure
poor baby. I hope he recovers well. Sending lots of vibes and hugs for the both of you

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for updating Nikki! I was just thinking about you and him. He is probably better off with the amputation. Like you said he is adjusting walking as a tripod.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the poor boy!

The one consolation is that he won't have the pain he has had for the past several days. That first vet needs to be reported to the vet board for his attitude. I too wonder if the leg could have been saved had the surgery been done last week. The longer it takes to get into surgery, the worse things get..swelling, bleeding, bones start to knit themselves together in abnormal ways that require them to be rebroken to be repaired. That jerk could very well be the one responsible for this poor dog having to lose his leg.

Also, someone should contact that twit who adopted him and lay a mega guilt trip on her. People like her don't deserve to be responsible for another living being. I hate to image if she ever had kids!!!!!!!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww...Nikki.. I was thinking about you and Norris today!
I'm sorry to hear that the leg will have to be amputated, but maybe it is for the best. If it really was that bad, there would have been nothing they would have done. Don't go beating yourself up on "what if" questions. There is no way to know now if it could have been saved. At least now you have a vet who cares, did all they could to save it, but will now let Norris finally begin to heal.
Keep us posted on Norris. Bless his little heart and all he's been through. He's such a trooper!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear the leg had to be amputated. Sending good vibes to Norris and that he heals well without pain. I know he will be adopted, I would adopt a 3 legged dog or cat too, that doesn't bother me and I know many out there feel the same way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

OMG poor pup! I thought they said they wouldn't have to amputate!!? They shouldn't say things like that until they are completely sure poor baby. I hope he recovers well. Sending lots of vibes and hugs for the both of you
The new vet said that he thought he could save the leg, but was not 100% positive. He did try- he even got so far as to trying to implant the plates into the leg- but when he opened the leg up- it was just shattered bone everywhere -there was nothing for him to attach the plates to. That's why it could not be saved. But the new vet honestly tried his best. and that i really do appreciate.

Originally Posted by Paulena

You are definately in my thoughts and prayers. Hope everything turns out ok for lil Norris!!
Originally Posted by theimp98

i am sorry. HUG hmm guys better start looking for a farm house
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Aw - poor little Norris! Vibes and prayers that he recovers quickly }}}}}}}}}}}
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Thanks for updating Nikki! I was just thinking about you and him. He is probably better off with the amputation. Like you said he is adjusting walking as a tripod.
Thankyou again everyone for all the vibes and comments. I know those TCS vibes work like magic so i'm sure they will help with Norris recovery
I really appreciate having such a supportive network of friends to talk to about stuff like this. Sometimes it's really frusterating working at shelter and fostering. But it is definitely worth it.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Oh the poor boy!

The one consolation is that he won't have the pain he has had for the past several days. That first vet needs to be reported to the vet board for his attitude. I too wonder if the leg could have been saved had the surgery been done last week. The longer it takes to get into surgery, the worse things get..swelling, bleeding, bones start to knit themselves together in abnormal ways that require them to be rebroken to be repaired. That jerk could very well be the one responsible for this poor dog having to lose his leg.

Also, someone should contact that twit who adopted him and lay a mega guilt trip on her. People like her don't deserve to be responsible for another living being. I hate to image if she ever had kids!!!!!!!
The main thing that upset me with the other vet not doing the surgery immediately was : he saw $$$- and didn't care about the animal, there could have been other internal issues that were overlooked such as damage to the organs, the shattered bone fragments could have caused an internal infection and other issues, the list goes on. That being said- i do not even think the leg could have been saved then because it is all just shattared fragments....no way they could have saved it then or now. I am however glad that my bosses gave him a good lashing and were able to switch to another vet. (i think they're considering switching vets offices entirely and reporting this to the vet board but i'm not sure what's going to happen yet- that's not my call to make.) They have also tried several times to contact the she devil who adopted him and did this. No luck
I wish we could leave the darn amputated leg on her door step or something like that!
Poor Norris would have never had to gone through any of this if it had not been for that woman. Karma will come back to bite her in the butt i have no doubt.
/ In the mean time though, my only concern right now is little Norris.
i think he is going to do just fine. Also i think amputation is a good option also because he will not have to deal with life long issues in that leg such as hip dysplasia or arthritis, he will not have to have multiple surgeries whenever the plates wear out and need to be replaced /etc...the list goes on. His recovery should also take less time/pain so that is good. I am going to make sure this sweet fella is taken good care of and is just bathed in love non-stop while i have him
I hope Colin lets me keep him

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor baby! I'm just getting caught up with the Norris story.

It's no use wondering (like you said) if the leg could have been saved before. The decision was done and over with and I'm just glad to hear that he will soon be out of pain.

sending many vibes towards you and norris.
{{{{{{VIBES}}}}}}

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This baby has to be yours. It's just meant to be. If Colin doesn't see that, call me up and I'll SPLAIN it to him.

If he has you, I know Norris will have a happy life -- and we all want that for him so much! Many vibes for a complete and pain-free recovery...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Poor baby! I'm sure with your love and care he'll make a good recovery though!
i hope so! omg and i miss him already!!! it feels weird not having him here to talk for his walks/etc.

Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Poor boy. Sending get well vibes his way!
thankyou! i'm sure norris appreciates it!

Originally Posted by lunasmom

Oh poor baby! I'm just getting caught up with the Norris story.

It's no use wondering (like you said) if the leg could have been saved before. The decision was done and over with and I'm just glad to hear that he will soon be out of pain.

sending many vibes towards you and norris.
{{{{{{VIBES}}}}}}
your right- no use wondering. (it just stresses me out anyways) i'm just glad his life was able to be safed (being run over and all) and that he is able to recover here with me to watch over him.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

This baby has to be yours. It's just meant to be. If Colin doesn't see that, call me up and I'll SPLAIN it to him.

If he has you, I know Norris will have a happy life -- and we all want that for him so much! Many vibes for a complete and pain-free recovery...
Hehe i might just take you up on that offer when the time is right
I hope Colin lets me keep him

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I was thinking the same thing, Norris would be so happy with Nikki and Colin

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I was thinking the same thing, Norris would be so happy with Nikki and Colin
hehe and Nikki would be happy to have another doggie
and while we're on the topic- i want to adopt Jimbo (that brindle pit bull at our shelter i've been in LOVE with forever) and several others too
i think ya'll are right- we need a farm

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Norris!! Having 3 legs isn't so bad, our kitty lost a leg at 10 years old and still beat up on all the neighbourhood kitties

Has anyone spoken to the woman who "adopted" him? What was her excuse for not knowing he was out of her yard and had been in an accident??!??!?!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Poor Norris!! Having 3 legs isn't so bad, our kitty lost a leg at 10 years old and still beat up on all the neighbourhood kitties

Has anyone spoken to the woman who "adopted" him? What was her excuse for not knowing he was out of her yard and had been in an accident??!??!?!
no the heifer hasn't answered her phone calls or the door when we sent one of the officers over. figures. my bosses left her some scathing messages though