Grrrr... why don't people speak clearly in answering machines

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I just came back home and there was a message on my answering machine from someone I sent my resume to.

It goes something like this: "Hi, the message is for Marie. This is [incomprehensible name] from [incomprehensible name of company] from the human resources department. I received your resume and I have some questions for you, please call me back at [then she tells the phone number, incomprehensively, twice!]"

I can understand most of the phone number, but there's at least one number that I'm not sure about (the first time she said it it sounds like a 5, then like a 2)

I can't even call and ask if I'm calling the right company, or ask for her name, cause I don't understand them.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a copy of the name/address of the place you sent your resume to? I would just call them & tell them your returning the phone call you recieved earlier regarding your resume, and you weren't able to understand who it was that left the message

I hate that too tho, when I leave messages for people here at work, I make sure I talk slow and clear- and repeat the important info twice -name, address, phone #, dates.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Do you have a copy of the name/address of the place you sent your resume to? I would just call them & tell them your returning the phone call you recieved earlier regarding your resume, and you weren't able to understand who it was that left the message

I hate that too tho, when I leave messages for people here at work, I make sure I talk slow and clear- and repeat the important info twice -name, address, phone #, dates.
The problem is, I sent 6 resumes this morning. Most of the job offers didn't have a phone number, only email and fax... so I can't even use that to get the right phone number.

I tried three different numbers that sounded like what she said, but none of them were right.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that! Every time I leave a message I always say my name and phone number twice- SLOWLY! The only reason why I started doing that is from the dozens of "stupid" messages I try to decipher! LOL

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they had an email address at a company domain name, you could try visiting the domain and see if they have a phone number for the company.

If you only have a fax number, try googling the number. If it's a company number, they may have it listed either in the yellow pages or on their website. That way you can get the company name and lookup a phone number from there.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

I just came back home and there was a message on my answering machine from someone I sent my resume to.

It goes something like this: "Hi, the message is for Marie. This is [incomprehensible name] from [incomprehensible name of company] from the human resources department. I received your resume and I have some questions for you, please call me back at [then she tells the phone number, incomprehensively, twice!]"

I can understand most of the phone number, but there's at least one number that I'm not sure about (the first time she said it it sounds like a 5, then like a 2)

I can't even call and ask if I'm calling the right company, or ask for her name, cause I don't understand them.

It seems that people always do this, they know their phone number so well that they say it so fast that you have to listen to the message over and over and over again and sometimes then you still cannot get the number. When I leave a number, I speak it very slowly and repeat it. I understand your frustration very well.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Do you have a copy of the fax numbers? Usually fax lines have a similar number to the phone number

Check on that. I.e. our main number is starts with 474 as well as our fax line.

If you're still unsure, try googling the fax numbers and then see what main numbers you get. That should return links to the business name.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure the number she gave me starts with 748. I have one job I sent my resume for where the fax number starts with 748, but the name of the contact person and the company name both sound completely different.

It's probably one of the jobs where they only gave an email address.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do as Kenzie suggested and just call/email all of them to check up on your resume. Your bound to find the one who called if you do that. (by the way- i hate it when people leave me messages like that too- very annoying!)

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I would do as Kenzie suggested and just call/email all of them to check up on your resume. Your bound to find the one who called if you do that. (by the way- i hate it when people leave me messages like that too- very annoying!)
I don't really have phone numbers for most of them, but maybe I'll just send another email tomorrow to all the places I have applied to. I'll tell them I'm checking on the status of my application, and I'll mention to them that I had received a phone call yesterday, but that the sound on my answering machine was not good and I couldn't hear the name of the company or the phone number properly.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

I don't really have phone numbers for most of them, but maybe I'll just send another email tomorrow to all the places I have applied to. I'll tell them I'm checking on the status of my application, and I'll mention to them that I had received a phone call yesterday, but that the sound on my answering machine was not good and I couldn't hear the name of the company or the phone number properly.
good idea
i hope all goes well sweetie!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of these people have some type of accent. They really should get people who speak our language so we can understand them. I get really fed up when I get people like this on the phone, the company should give them another type job where they don't have to speak on the phone, this really irritates me.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm cause that would make life to easy?
i had a call left last night.

caller: Yea this is george the line is down call me back, Hang up.

lol i have no idea who or where a george is. and he never called back, i guess i will find out when i go to work tonight what was broke last night

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Argh! I have the same experience at Daughter's school, where I volunteer. (I do the "safe arrival" calls; if your kid doesn't show up at school, and you haven't told the school anything, you'll get a call from me.)

We have an answering machine on 24/7 and parents will call and state everything clearly except their kid's name. You can understand the date and the teacher's name, but they rush/slur over their kid's name, which is the key information. So annoying.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get messages I don't understand all the time. Luckily you can play them in slow-mo on the cell!

Sometimes I worry that I do it too, I do messages for special book orders, and I think I'm being clear... but some people seem to act like they can't understand a word I say no matter how slowly, loudly, and over-enunciated I say it.

I hope you do figure it out, do you have message-tracing? Like on your voicemail you can get info on when the call was and what number its from?