Eczema

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have eczema and its AWFUL!
What I've found that works is changing my laundry detergant to All Free & Clear, it really helps

But as for medication or anything, nothing has really worked, but I have found a lotion that really helps - Olay Body Quench Body Lotion- its awesome at keeping my skin hydrated where I usually break out. If I do break out, I use that on it and it really helps from it being itchy.

Eczema is no fun

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband has Eczema. Unfortunately I have yet to find a good OTC medication to actually treat it when break outs occur, but we have a super awesome prescription cream that works well. His has gotten so bad he's had to go get a shot for the itching.

I feel for you if it's you that has it!! Eczema is so unpredicable.. it seems to come and go with the changing seaons and it makes DH soooo miserable when the rashes come on

My advice would be to see your doctor or better yet, dermatologist. There are some great creams out there

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have eczema on the outside area of my left wrist and on the inside part of my right leg by my knee. It was awful!

My doctor had been prescribing me an ointment with mercury in it. It was yucky stuff. It turned yellow when on the skin and got everywhere. In order to keep it on and have it work I had to wrap my wrist with Saran Wrap after applying the ointment. It always worked and the eczema would clear up for a while, but then it would be back.

The pharmacist that I had back then suggested that I try Efamol. He ordered some in for me and it cleared up my eczema and it's never returned.

However, I now have eczema in both of my ear canals and the ear drops that my doctor gave me really don't do much except to plug up my ears so I am going to restart with the Efamol again.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to check into the Efamol...I have awful eczema on my hands and feet.
It gets so bad that I can hardly hold onto anything and it hurts to walk. Not the best thing when you have a very busy toddler

The only thing that's worked for me are steroid creams and I hate using them.
Eczema sucks!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I got it really, REALLY badly on my arms, legs, hands & feet.

My dermatologist recommended that I use Neutrogena Emulsion body lotion, immediately after washing to help keep moisture in the skin. The Emulsion formula lasts a minimum of 8 hours, and is THE only thing that has kept me eczema free for the last 10 years - I HIGHLY recommend it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Years ago I got it really, REALLY badly on my arms, legs, hands & feet.
I'm so sorry, I heard what you did but I wonder if there's any cream or something easier who takes it away just like that

Are you happy and satisfied with your product?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

I'm so sorry, I heard what you did but I wonder if there's any cream or something easier who takes it away just like that

Are you happy and satisfied with your product?
I know of nothing that "takes it away just like that" as there is no real known cause for it. It can be treated but not "cured."

Because I have had barely any recurrances in the 10 years or so that I have been using the Neutrogena Emulsion, I am EXTREMELY happy and satisfied with the product - I always ask for it from people for Christmas presents.

And a little goes a long, long way with this lotion. I can't speak about it more highly.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH has it - found out from doctor that it's heriditary too! He got a prescription cream that he uses when it gets bad. At least its not too bad - a few spots on his hands or feet from time to time.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have eczema too! I have seen top dermatologists in the city... mine used to so outta control my feet would be blistered & cracked & bleeding.... it was awful! Thank God for my darling derma!

Here are her tips...

1. Do NOT bathe everyday, and NEVER take a bath. Water dries out your skin, you are making it worse everytime you shower. Shower every other day, and use tepid or luke warm water, NEVER HOT. If your like me & feel like you need to bath before bed, do so in the sink with a wash cloth... so your not soaking & drenching your whole body, only your face & needed areas. Also, keep your whole shower to under 10 minutes.

2. As soon as you get out, PAT dry, never wipe or rub your skin, this may irritate it. And apply cream within 5 minutes because your pores are still open from the shower and will absorb the moisture into your skin.

3. Use Neutragena. I use their make-up removing face wash, it's the best. Also, you can use their soaps/body washes, they are all hypo-allergenic (eczema is an allergy
) fragrance & oil free. They will never harm your skin. USE Neutragena Emulsion or Eucerin calming creme. Even the aveeno is not as good as the eucerin or the neutragena.... If it gets so bad it's cracking & bleeding you can use aquaphor, but it's more like a vaseline.... it works good for cracked toes, just wear socks so you don't get it all over.

4. If you have it on your feet, ONLY wear WHITE SOCKS. All other dyes will irritate your eczema causing it to inflame & itch. This is where I have it the most.... And NO pantyhose... the nylon will cause your feet to sweat without absorbing the sweat like a sock will... the sweating will dry out your skin.

5. ALL FREE & CLEAR. I cannot stress this enough. It has made a huge difference... I wash ALL my clothes in it. I can even use downy... as long as I"m not using another soap detergent.

6. Dish gloves, do not put your hands in water to do dishes, use the new Mr. Clean gloves, they are orange, they have a lining in them and are worth the $2.... they will protect your hands.

Also, there is NO cure for eczema, only ways to live with it. I swear by these tips, I used to get injected with steroids every 6-8 weeks, mine was so bad.... But I changed all of these things & now I am not free of it, but it's SO manageable.... I have a small patch on my right ankle & that's about it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have this and all those things lucky girl said are great! I have also used elidel with good results and also arbonne.

the one thing that really helps though is actually TANNING, it does something to my skin that really helps. part of it is that i put lotion on a bunch because of the tanning - but i think the tanning helps too.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I know of nothing that "takes it away just like that" as there is no real known cause for it. It can be treated but not "cured."

Because I have had barely any recurrances in the 10 years or so that I have been using the Neutrogena Emulsion, I am EXTREMELY happy and satisfied with the product - I always ask for it from people for Christmas presents.

And a little goes a long, long way with this lotion. I can't speak about it more highly.
I'm definately going to have to check that out- is it spendy stuff?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

Do you know any creams, medicines etc that treat eczema? I'm just wondering if there's any good product out there

Arie
Ive used one called MediHoney or Manuka honey. It's an anti-bacterial that deals with the redness and flaking. It's smelly but does the job. When i was younger i also used one with chickweed in it, any chickweed products are good. There's also one called DermAid (r any other ones which have hydrocortisone in it) which has no lanolin, chlorocresol or paraben in it.

Try not to get anything with propylene glycol in it. Although we use alot of products that have preservatives, natural is better. We are de-sensitized to these things. Try to avoid also sls (sodium laurel suphate, the stuff that makes soap/shampoo/toothpaste etc foamy), dea (diethanolamine), fragrances an ppd (para-phenylenediamine - used in henna and hair dye)

Sometimes we use these products our whole lives, but we have no idea why we might get sick or get skin irritations till you research these products which have been known to cause cancer/tumours etc.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a prescription cream for my eczema. I've had to stop wearing a ring on my right hand because it was so bad on my middle and pinkey finger. I'm a ring nut so that's just drove me nuts! I also had to sew a little piece of fabric inside my jeans behind the back of the button where it touches my stomach. That was making me break out!

I do use Avon's oatmeal lotion too. It didn't sting when the eczema makes my skin crack. One lady told me to use a particular lotion, which the name of escapes me at the moment, because it doesn't have alcohol in it. She said her DR had recommended it for her daughter (because of the lack of alcohol).

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

i have this and all those things lucky girl said are great! I have also used elidel with good results and also arbonne.

the one thing that really helps though is actually TANNING, it does something to my skin that really helps. part of it is that i put lotion on a bunch because of the tanning - but i think the tanning helps too.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten this! UV rays actually seem to help clear up DH's Eczema.

And I went and grabbed his tube of cream. It is called Embeline E. It's a small tube, but it really does the job. It is prescription only, unless that's been changed since last he visited the doc. This cream also works on my scalp Psoriasis. I used to have major scaling at my hairline, but I put this cream on whenever it begins to itch and it clears it right up!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting how eczema has become more common. It's a shame, really.
I use Lush's Dream Cream - its a herbal lotion and it really helps a lot. I am allergic to dish detergent and now I have a new rash on my legs around the sock line, so I am starting to wonder if it is from the socks or the new dryer sheets that I am using, as I have some spots of contact dermatitis on my legs.