food for Healthy Weight

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you want to give a skinny cat food for "healthy weight" or a fat cat? I just assumed you would get it for a fat cat to help them get to a healthy weight, but now I was thinking maybe it would help a skinny cat also get to a healthy weight?

does that make sense? Anyone know?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does make sense. The "healthy weight" (wellness specifically?) is intended for overweight cats.

The foods geared towards fat cats are often counter productive, as they are usually loaded with more than the average amt. of grains, carbs, fillers, etc. Carbs tend to turn to fat on a cat, as they don't process them very well. I have heard of a lot of cats that GAINED weight on "lite" and/or "healthy weight" type foods...although they aren't meant for that purpose....much the opposite.

I have a thin cat and I would love to put some weight on her. She has some health issues and there is not a lot I can do. But after trying a lot of high calorie foods that she wouldn't touch, I've settled on letting her eat large portions of the foods she is willing to eat. I figure what she won't eat won't put a single ounce on her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the ingredients:

chicken, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain brown rice, salmon, egg product, powdered cellulose, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed meal, natural chicken flavour, kelp, spinich, lettuce, tomato, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, methionine, choline chloride, dried chickory root, taurine, zinc sulfate, vitamin E suppliment, glucosamine hydrochloride, niacin, chondroitin sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A suppliment, L-Carnitine, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 suppliment, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D suppliment, folic acid

This is what I was feeding the chunky cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Here's the ingredients:

chicken, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain brown rice, salmon, egg product, powdered cellulosewhen not specified this is often sawdust , chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed meal, natural chicken flavour, kelp, spinich, lettuce, tomato, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, methionine, choline chloride, dried chickory root, taurine, zinc sulfate, vitamin E suppliment, glucosamine hydrochloride, niacin, chondroitin sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A suppliment, L-Carnitine, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 suppliment, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D suppliment, folic acid

This is what I was feeding the chunky cat.
Premium Edge??

try the kitten formula for both the over wt and the skinny cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Premium Edge??

try the kitten formula for both the over wt and the skinny cat
Yep, my whole crew, even the strays and fosters eat the best I can find.

I am glad to see only one highlighted food, too bad it's sawdust! and i am also glad you replied. I like hearing what you have to say about food ingredients.

I will switch the overweight and the skinny girl to kitten then. You are sure its okay for the overweight one too? As opposed to the regular adult formula?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well I work off the theroy of cats need more protein and fat and less carbs to loss wt or possibley bulk up a bit .... as yes calorie wise it is higher but it is What calories are higher