Jobs, what's the length of time you've stayed at them?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering.........I have had a job for two weeks that I'm quitting for various reasons......what's the shortest and/or longest amount of time you've ever stayed at your jobs?

My only other jobs were 11 years, 2 years, and 7 years.........

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The longest I stayed at a job was 18 years. I only left because I was going to be laid off. The shortest was two weeks. The other regular job I stayed at was 8 years. I had a couple of summer jobs years ago that I don't consider "regular jobs". If you a know a job isn't a good fit than if the option is available to you I think the best thing is to cut your losses early, quit, and find another job. I have been at the job I have now a little over two years.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well let's see............
my job as a Mom, I've been at for almost 17 years.
As wife for almost 10 years.
outside the house job.........................haven't had one.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say the longest I've ever stayed at a job is my current one.. 3 years as of June 9th.

The shortest I've ever stayed at a job was less than an hour. Years ago I took a waitressing job and as soon as I found out they pooled tips I was out of there.

Back in the day I suppose it was different being that people had pension plans and such. Now I don't see any reason to stay at a job that isn't offering you what you are looking for. I also know there is no such thing as job security anymore. So basically, if someone is going to make me a better offer - whether I've been at a job minutes or years - I'm moving on.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am only 25..and I have had a few jobs

16-18 - McDonalds

18-20 - Pharma Plus Drugmart/Westin Hotel (in college..there was also another job in there..breakfast server)

20-22 - Radisson Hotel

22- Present - State Farm Insurance..

I guess my track record is usually a 2 year stint

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anywhere between a day and 5 years.

My first job was working in a Samsonite luggage store, I worked there for about two months but my parents moved and it would take me an hour each way which on a school night didn't make sense.

Then I worked a summer washing hair

Then I got a job as an intern at Parliament and worked there part time through school after my internship and left when I moved here. I loved it there and was offered several full time positions had I stayed in England and would have taken one of them.

Then I moved here and have been at my current job for over 3 years

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The longest for me has been 3 years.

The shortest was a month...and people were surprised that I lasted that long in the job.

Actually most of my friends are surprised I'm still where I'm at. I am too.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shortest, 1 weekend. It was the summer after highschool, and I was hired as a hostest as Denny's. I worked 6:00pm to 2:00am. Not a fun shift. I was supposed to be part time, then when the next schedule came out, I was scheduled for 40 hours and they wanted to train for as a waitress on the same shift. I quit right then and there. I explained, I wanted part time, and didn NOT want to be a waitress! Funny thing is, my first long term job after that (a few years later) was as a waitress.
And, I loved it! Hated the company but liked the job and the people I worked with. I've been working at my current job for a little over 2 years, and hopefully it will end soon.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My shortest job was 2 hours. The company was misleading, and the job turned out to be something very different than what I thought I had signed up for.

My longest time at a company is where I'm at now. I've been here for 14 years. I can't believe it myself. I haven't been in the same job the whole time, though. I've moved up to a different position every so often. My longest time in one position was my first one here, which was almost 5 years.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shortest was 2-3 days I think. I didn't want to be working at all so I didn't. LOL My average was probably 6 months when I was a teen working at various food extablishments and offices. I've been at my current job for almost 8 years (in another 2 I'll be vested shortly after my 30th b-day if I keep my hours up). I NEVER thought I'd be here this long but what can I say... it's a cushy job that I won't leave unless I have to. I might too so that I can go to school full time but that's up in the air right now pending a big deal my dad is working on.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had a number of short jobs - if I'm not happy there I don't see the point of staying.

Since I've been in the US I've had a job for 3 months and I've just decided not to renew the contract of this job which is a 6 month contract. I definitely don't like having such short stints now.

My last job in Australia I was at for 3 years and loved it - I only quit because I moved to the US, and it's hard to quit a job you love - nothing else stacks up.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, the shortest was 3 months, and the longest was 3 years. But I didn't start my real "work" career until after I got off welfare and graduated from college, so technically I've only been in the workforce for about 12 years.

Most jobs just weren't right and I found a way to get out and find something better after about 2 years.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longest... my high school/college job at a car dealership- started when I was 15- quit when I was 20, because I graduated from college & moved.

Then there was my first 'big' job at the other dealership at the body shop, I was there for 2 years, until they closed.

Then at my last job for 2 months- thats definately my shortest!

I've been at my current job for a full 2 weeks now!