One animal too many... even for me!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning started off like any other day. Woke up... let the dogs into the backyard... stood there watching them for a few minutes so they don't bark at all the squirrels... etc. So while I'm standing there I happen to glance at the lawn chair next to me and notice one of the legs is bent. I'm thinking that's so weird and how the heck could that have happened... when I trace the line of the bend only to notice it's not the leg of the chair. It's a snake and it's staring at me.

OMG I *FREAKED*. My heart was pounding my throat and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get myself and both dogs back in the house without inviting our new friend in... and of course the snake is the closest to the door of all of us. Plus... I've never seen a snake like this before... so I have no idea if it's venomous and with my nosy dogs I'm thinking I'm going to find that out the hard way.

It took a while but I got everyone inside just in time to see the snake climb up the lawn chair.... all (roughly) 4 feet of him. Oy I thought I was going to pass out. Got on the phone with animal services and confirmed the snake was not venomous and actually a good snake to have around because this type eats other snakes. Oh, and that this was actually a BABY(!!) snake because this breed actually gets up to 9 FEET!
Then called DH at work and told him I was never leaving the house again. Ever.

This is so not what I needed before coffee

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have been screaming so bad
I like snakes to an extent, I think what did it for me was the time I went fishing and water snakes attacked the mino bucket like crazy (I was like 7 when that happenedd btw) And well you had such an eventful morning
Thats going to be one BIG snake
I dont think id leave my house lol what kind of snake is it btw? At least it is a good snake that eats others

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jiminy Christmas! My insides curdled just reading your post.

Even a non-poisonous snake can scare you to death...

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
eeew! I like animals of the furry type. Creepy crawley types freak me out!

Good snake...ppplease!! Take it away!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous snake! I would want to pet him but then I am weird.
You handled yourself very well! Good job

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Man....that pic was enough to make me glad all we have here are little snakes!
*shivers*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no worries with that. I would have had to get near it to kill it... not gonna happen!
No really... I wouldn't do that anyway. I just prefer to live in denial about their existence ... which is easier to do when they're not at your back door.

This thing had me so scared I was shaking. I knew the county animal services website had a snake identification page... so I came inside and tried to look up the snake, but my hands were shaking so badly I couldn't type.

And he didn't leave either. Around 3pm I went to take the dogs out and he was still there. The dogs got leashed and did their thing in the front yard instead. No way I was going back there!

Since they're day snakes I'm hoping he went off somewhere tonight and will pick on someone else tomorrow

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I like snakes.... in a terrarium where I can keep an eye on them!
I'm thinking Florida is a little above my wildlife limit!

Oh, and it was an Eastern Indigo Snake
http://www.uga.edu/srel/eastern_indigo_snake.htm
I would of ran for miles I guess you would say
if i seen that snake! Pretty, but if that would have been me I think I might have screamed bloody murder and fainted
but he would have gotten to me, so I would have ran in the house lol and locked the doors and took the dogs out a different way in a different section

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never go out the back again

I'm not as scared of snakes as of spiders, in fact I quite like snakes - but like them more NOT in the back yard!

You poor thing! How terrifying. Big adrenaline rush, too - you handled yourself very well I think. It's so scary when that happens and you have your dogs - especially when you have more than one dog. A while ago I went out the back with them and this big spider went scuttling across the patio. Well the dogs went straight after it and I couldn't get them off. I was barefoot and had to run back into the house to find a shoe to squish it. I cried for about an hour afterwards, too, because I hate killing things and try not to at all, but there was no way this spider was going to eat my dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

A while ago I went out the back with them and this big spider went scuttling across the patio. Well the dogs went straight after it and I couldn't get them off. I was barefoot and had to run back into the house to find a shoe to squish it. I cried for about an hour afterwards, too, because I hate killing things and try not to at all, but there was no way this spider was going to eat my dogs.
OMG! That's one of the reasons I never go outside without at least flipflops. Lots of spiders around. I'm not as scared of them as I am of snakes, but eek they're still creepy!

I hate killing them too... but too many venomous ones around here for me to chance that one of the kids could get a hold of one.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

However, while I don't like snakes, that one is quite beautiful!
I'm sure I'd think so too... if it weren't in my backyard!