containment?

qwpoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

I have moved into my mom & stepfather's house and they have reluctantly but generously agreed to let me bring my cat. Now, my room & everything is downstairs, while they live upstairs. At first, Fritz was scared of going upstairs so it wasn't a problem, but now he loves going up there and it's getting on their nerves. I was thinking of buying something to keep him downstairs (there's no door) but cats are really good at getting around things...so any ideas?

ps. i know it's not the best thing to contain him while inside the house but my stepfather is really not into pets and is very keen on having him stay downstairs

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you put something like a screen door on there? I know some members have attached cheap & temporary ones for introductions.
That's about the only thing I can think of....other than stacking 2 or 3 baby gates, but those would be a pain to get through!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We put a baby gate at the top of the stairs at night so Abby can't get into the bedroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qwpoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so the baby gate is effective? i really don't need to use it until the dude comes home from work.

btw sorry i'm semi-new to the country so where do you get these baby gates? just at the supermarket?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I look for them at garage sales and second hand stores. But you can get them at walmart I would think.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a difficult position for you. I am so glad you kept your cat even with the hassles
I don't have any great ideas right now, but will think on it. Would the stepfather be okay with you installing a door?

qwpoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i think a door would be a bit much...i am not staying here forever and it is their house. i'm going to go with the baby door and see if that holds him--usually if i'm downstairs, he doesn't venture upstairs. if not, i'll look into one of those big wall things that people change behind...

thanks for the input everyone, and if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat would definately jump over a baby gate, she routinely jump on top of normal doors. However if your cat isn't hugely athletic it might work.

qwpoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so now that fritz has gotten it into his head that he's not supposed to go upstairs, he bolts up there every chance he gets. and it's not just a slow casual wander upstairs, but a really fast dash before i know what's happening.

i've basically given up on the barrier idea and so he's stuck in my room until i can try out some soft paws tomorrow.

sigh.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by qwpoi

i think a door would be a bit much...i am not staying here forever and it is their house. i'm going to go with the baby door and see if that holds him--usually if i'm downstairs, he doesn't venture upstairs. if not, i'll look into one of those big wall things that people change behind...

thanks for the input everyone, and if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great!
I understand. From your first post, I didn't notice you had a time limit on your stay. I suppose the houses I have known have doors going to the downstairs.

good luck!