Yet another shooting today here.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today yet another shooting happened here....this time in Bartlett,TN (right down the road from Memphis where Colin and I live.) Colin is a police officer for Bartlett. Here is the link to the story. A 17 year old was in one of the local kawasaki dealerships waiting to get a bike. He left, came back and then randomly shot people. One person he shot was a 35 year old. (he shot him 3 times and killed him. this man had a wife) The other person was a woman, he shot her in the arm and she's still in the hospital. After he shot them he fled the scene- when he did he drove off and drove right by one of the Shelby County (the county we live in- includes, bartlett, memphis, germantown,etc) sherrifs station where there were a line of squad cars- he though they were after him and wrecked his car. He died at the scene (deserved to!).

To make a long story short though- here's how i first found out about this. On the way back from the zoo (my friend and i went to the zoo today.) my mom called me and asked if i had heard about the shooting at the kawasaki dealership and if colin was on duty today. OK now my mom is an idiot sometimes- the way she said it- she made it sound like one of the cops had been shot .....which automatically freaked me out of course worrying if it were Colin. I swear it took her two minutes to tell me not one of the cops, but two employees of the dealership! I HATE it when she does stuff like that. It can be VERY stressful being in a relationship with a first responder ....never knowing what might happen. I usually am really cool about it and ok with his job, but things like that really freak me out. Thank goodness he was ok though and my mom just didn't word it right. BUT my heart breaks for the family and wife of the man who died. About the same time my mom called me to tell me this- i drove past the kawasaki dealership on my way home and saw the police tape and all of the squad cars. Sure enough- Colins was there. When he came home on his dinner break later on tonight he told me more about the shooting. Apparently- the man was sitting in his chair when the guy walked in and shot him. He then stumbled across the floor where the 17 yr old shot him again...twice.
This is all just soo senseless. To make matters worse- over the course of memorial day weekend there were 5 shootings in memphis. One of which killed a close family friend of ours, Ethan.
And yet another murder, in addition to this one happened today. Violence is soo rediculious. I hate it. The mid south just seems to be getting worse and worse too.
Please keep the family of the victim who died (and the lady who is in the hospital) in your prayers. Colin said they are just devistated (as can be imagined). Colin seemed pretty shaken up tonight too.....he saw the guy who was shot. And to make matters worse- Colin knew him as an aquantiance. He had gone into the Kawasaki shop several times in the past looking for parts to go on his bike. He said the guy was really nice too. I know Colin is upset. Sometimes it's hard to know what to say when he sees stuff like this. I just say there and let him talk about it (i think it helps) and told him if he wanted to talk more, i was here to listen. When he left to go back to work i swear i huged him soo tight i thought i was choking him. Things like that make me really nervous.

here's the origional storyhttp://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6583548

the link to the car chase that led to the 17 yr old shooter wrecking out.
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6582120

another link about the family/friends response
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6583872
there are also raw videoclips on the home page telling a bit more about it. this is all just soo senseless and sad.
I'm at least glad the sick freak died in the process of trying to flee.....i'm sure had he been cought and sentenced, he'd have been let out in 7 years on good behavior

a video link about it
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/medi...ideo.abc24.com

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad. What was the point of him shooting those innocent people? I'm glad the shooter was punished in some way. He deserved it. Just glad he didn't kill someone else in the process also.
I'm so sorry about your friend and all those people that were hurt. In today's world where we already have terrorists to worry about, we don't need this to add onto it. It just seems like the safe world I used to know has slipped away for good. Then people wonder why I am always cautious of my surroundings and don't trust anyone while out in public.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

That is so sad. What was the point of him shooting those innocent people? I'm glad the shooter was punished in some way. He deserved it. Just glad he didn't kill someone else in the process also.
I'm so sorry about your friend and all those people that were hurt. In today's world where we already have terrorists to worry about, we don't need this to add onto it. It just seems like the safe world I used to know has slipped away for good. Then people wonder why I am always cautious of my surroundings and don't trust anyone while out in public.
i'm the same way. i always look over my shoulder and have my cell on me. i do NOT like being around strange people i do not know (gas stations are the worst!) I definitely worry about Colin too when i see stories like this. Geesh, and i thought him joining the police force would be safer than him staying in the Navy
perhaps i was wrong. I know i can not live in constant fear (and i don't) i just try to be cautious and listen to my instinct to keep myself safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I really admire your fortitude, being able to deal with Colin's job.
May he always be safe.
thankyou. normally i am not bothered by it at all. i understand that helping people is his passsion (why he was in the navy, and why he is now a police officer). he has been given a gift in life that is a special one and i understand that those jobs are not for everyone...but it seems like they are for Colin. he'd be miserable stuck behind a desk all day.it does help me to know that colin has years and years of training from both the navy/police force. i trust him to know what to do in a tough situation, so that really does help. he is always very cautious too (unlike some cops who think they don't need to wear their vests!
) it's just incidents like yesterday that really scare me at times. my mom's phone call REALLY didn't help eithor!
I told her to never do that again.