Need some reinforcements..

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I've decided what to do, I just need some reinforcements I guess. Here's the deal:

I paid roughly $900 for Princess, whos a CFA registered Egypian Mau. I did it because I wanted a pet with her temperment and I thought she was super cute! And now that I have her, she is worth every penny to me I love her so much!

Now that I've made her spay appointment (she is 5 1/2 months old), people are telling me I should breed her, or show her. I am hearing things like "every cat should have at least 1 litter", "if you pay that much for a registered cat you should breed her", "you could make money on her kittens", etc.

Now, I don't believe that garbage, but I guess I just need some reinforcement on that I'm doing the right thing for her.

I never thought I should breed her, but I did a lot of considering on showing her.. does anyone have a link, or advice on how I could start training her and see about maybe doing that? And other than a ribbon, what are the reasons for showing?

Thanks in advance guys
I really want to do what's best for my baby!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you get BREEDING rights ??? if not DONT as you couldnt register the kittens...

As far as showing talk with her breeder .....

I would also spay her she is lovely and shell always be

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you bought her from the breeder, did you buy her as an entire, a pet or as a show neuter? Does her certificate indicate that she is "NFB" which means Not for Breeding?

The price you paid is usually indicative of a show neuter. Most pets go for $500 above and Show Neuters usually start at $750. Most entires (excluding certain breeds) would start at about $1000.

IMO, do not breed her if:

1. Your contract does not include a breeding agreement
2. You haven't done enough research to actually know (guess) what you are doing
3. You do not have a mentor.

If she IS a show neuter, then by all means, show her!
I'm sure her breeder would be more than willing to assist you for the first few shows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback guys

After reading these posts and doing some research on the net, I've decided to stick with her spay. The cuteness of kittens can sometimes fool with your mind when it comes to such things

As for her registration, I looked in the folder her breeder gave me and it contains a blue form for registration, so i guess she is not registered officially until I send it in? The breeder has filled out much of the information on it and it states that I can choose the number of generations which varies in price.

I do not see NFB on it, but have already decided not to breed her, so that is no problem.

As far as showing goes.. I have looked at the CFA website and it is a lot of gibberish to me though I did not spend a great deal of time attempting to figure out what it was actually saying. I will research this option further.

Thanks again
I needed some input on this

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the Blue registration slip ... is the breeder's pin number on it? If it is, then you have purchased breeding rights. Do you have a written sales agreement or contract? If so, read it. It should tell you whether or not you may breed her. That now being said, just because you ~can~ breed her doesn't necessarily mean that you ~should~ breed her.

As for showing her, the best advice I have for you is to check with her breeder ... normally, the person who bred a cat will know whether or not the cat is suitable for show and if not, why. They can explain to you, in terms you can understand, everything you will need to get started and more importantly, why showing her would or wouldn't be a good idea.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have received some good advice on here. Check with the breeder. There is certainly no harm in showing her and I would certainly advise that before breeding her, if you went that route.

There is no truth to the "cats should have one litter before spaying" argument. There are many risks with pregnancy and birth. It is much safer and better not to breed. The only reason to breed is if you believe (a show would give you a good idea of this) that she would add something to the breed as a whole.

If you do decide to go the show route (as an alter or whole), find someone in your area that shows. The only true way to learn about how to do this is by having someone help you learn the ropes. It is fun and exciting to show, but only when you know what is going on.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spay her and show her in premiership. Also sign up on the CFA website for a mentor. You will learn so much by showing in premiership and it is fun!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the breeder did not tell you your mau was showable, then don't show her. Premiership is TOUGH competition - sometimes better quality then in the championship class. It used to be lesser quality; but all the judges remark on how much better the classes are then some cats in championship.

One the blue slip; at the bottom, there is a little box that the breeder would fill out a number in order for the cat to be bred. If its not there, you can't breed the cat.

Contact your breeder and ask to be sure before you show her. But SPAY her anyway. I'm surprised the breeder didn't have it done when you got her (how old was she when you bought her)? Did you sign a written contract with the breeder and does it say "pet" or "show".

When we got Charlie (initially) he was bought as a pet and already neutered. Even on the written contract it stated "not to be shown" (her standard for pets). However, when we got there, she told us she changed the contract because he had got more show quality then initially thought and if we wanted to show him, we could.

She knew that I had been showing/breeding pedigrees for many years; otherwise I really don't think she would have mentioned it at the time.

Charlie is the only Oci that she's had that "changed" quality and was allowed to be shown - she's never had that happen. She may rethink on evaluating them at 4 months instead of 3 months to be sure

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the breeder did not tell you your mau was showable, then don't show her.
I have to disagree with this. Veeshan who I have been showing for a year now is actually pet quality. The breeder who she came from knew she was going to be shown in CFA. I have found many breeders just do not have the eye if a cat is show quality or not. There are a few top breeders who can tell if a cat is top quality but they usually will not sell a top quality cat to a newbie.

Veeshan may be pet quality but she is almost granded. I have been told by other somali breeders to keep showing her and learn and have fun even if she doesn't win all the time. If I would of had a cat that granded in a few shows I would of learned a lot less, met a lot less breeders. Premiership are not the cats being bred to improve the breed. I see nothing wrong in showing a cat that is altered because they were not a top quality example of their breed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That may be true with some breeders - but good breeders will know if the cat is show quality or not before they sell. In Charlie's case, the breeder specifically has it written on pet contracts they are not to be shown.

Sometimes you are surprised that the cat turns out ok to be shown. With my rexes I only had one or two that could not go in the show ring. Most were very showable; but were just bought as pets. Like I told one person "I'd rather sell you a showable cat in case you change your mind then for you to buy a pet quality and then want to show it later"

IMO you ASK the breeder first if you can show it - instead of going behind their backs - after all, the breeder's rep is on the line when you put the cat in the show ring!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

IMO you ASK the breeder first if you can show it - instead of going behind their backs - after all, the breeder's rep is on the line when you put the cat in the show ring!
Yes for sure ask the breeder first. In my case the breeder knew Veeshan was going to be shown. And I still ended up getting a pet quality cat. And the truth is Kingston is also looking like a pet quality cat (he is still to young to be sure) even though his breeder sold him to me so I had a real show cat. Imo I think more breeders than not do not have an eye for show quality. And the best way to learn is to show what you do have and decide for yourself what show quality is and isn't.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You guys have been very helpful! I didn't know the breeder's reputation would be on the line during showing. And no, there isn't a pin number on her registration form, so that answers that

Princess's eyes are still amber but starting to turn green. I am going to have her spayed, wait for her fur to grow back and her eyes to turn green, then I will contact my breeder with pictures and see what she thinks. I know her parents were both of grand champion lines, which sounds pretty impressive.. we'll see
She is quite the fraidy cat when it comes to people who aren't me touching her or even coming near her, so I am beginning to doubt she'd do well at a show now, but I suppose it doesn't mean I couldn't train her if I felt it would be worth it.

I appreciate all the advice
You guys really know your stuff!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good idea - and in the meantime, if you have any chance of getting her in a show, get everyone you can to handle her, pet her, stretch her body out, etc. If you want to know how judges handle the cats (so you can practice) then try to attend a nearby show (in any association) and go to learn/watch.

For me, I've had a lot better luck showing males then females (spayed or not).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't you have it written anywhere on their papers if they are for showing or not?

Over here the pedigree certificate will say 'not for showing'.
Or some states use different colours with a watermark on the papers yellow pet only, blue for showing.

Demetri had a very outgoing personality right from the start. He greets every visitor that comes over and gets in their face. If they are willing I ask them to handle him in the stretched out position etc.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No. I don't think I have the final certificate yet, just the form from the breeder. I didn't know that I'd have to send it in. She told me there was no need really, so I didn't even really look at it much till now.

I will probably send it in now that way I have them, then I will know more

Seems I had a lot more to learn about buying a registered cat than I thought at the time. Nevertheless, I am very pleased with my baby and I'm glad I have her

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

And I had no intention of going behind the breeder's back. I did state in my first post, I believe, that I knew nothing about showing... that means I did not know that the breeder would be involved.

Thanks for your feedback

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO If you have the blue slip it means that the kitten has been litter registered (CFA). Fill in the name and send it off.

Check with the breeder if she's show-able. Frankly speaking the price you paid tells me she should be. If you'd like, pm me the cattery name and I'll look it up.

As for showing her if she's show-able, there's quite a few of us over here who would be more than willing to translate the gibberish for you!

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

IMO If you have the blue slip it means that the kitten has been litter registered (CFA). Fill in the name and send it off.

Check with the breeder if she's show-able. Frankly speaking the price you paid tells me she should be. If you'd like, pm me the cattery name and I'll look it up.

As for showing her if she's show-able, there's quite a few of us over here who would be more than willing to translate the gibberish for you!
Thank you

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On our blue slips (CFA) the only thing that is indicated is whether or not the cat can be bred.........says nothing as far as showing. Usually the breeder will have a written contract with their "rules" and in there, they may indicate if the cat was bought as a pet and is not to be shown.

If in doubt its better to contact the breeder and ask before you do anything

OP, let us know how it turns out if you can show her or not