Had to put an e-collar on Peaches

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
until I can get her an appointment. Her abscess burst sometime Friday or Saturday. She'd been in hiding ever since and came around tonight. The area is about the size of a quarter and she's been digging into it. She has blood on her back foot, chest and part of her face. There's no scab and it make a horrable noise when she shakes her head. It look terrible and I swear there's some jaw bone showing and some meat hanging off there. I have a gauze pad and some tape on it and the e-collar over that. She hates the collar but what can I do? She won't stop digging it and I think they may have to stitch part of it back together. I can say all the infection looks to be gone, just her poor face looks terrible. The spot starts almost under her left ear and ends by her mouth. Poor girl looks so unhappy. Not that I blame her! I'd be unhappy too.

Send some positive thoughts her way, please. She's going to need them.

CHrissy

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her heart! Calming {{{{{VIBES}}}}} to you both! Hopefully you can get her an appointment very soon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2 pics of Peaches' wound. Warning: It's kinda gross and painfull looking.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my...it's very painful looking,but I bet it was a lot more painful before it ruptured! Aren't head and face abcesses dangerous?? I don't think I'd even try to make an appointment...I'd take her in first thing.She is definitely going to need healing vibes!!

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All the positive thoughts helped!

Well, she went to the vet this morning and he took a good look at it. He said all the infection is gone and the wound looks clean. Her fever is gone but she's still on meds. He told me not to worry about putting anything over it because she'll just scratch it back off. I'm to just apply pressure in case it bleeds and keep it clean. Apperently, I was more worried about it then what I needed to be. LOL

Chrissy and Peaches

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness! But I can't believe he didn't put stitches in her jaw! When my cat Lil Bit had an abcess rupture on her tail....they stitched her up. But hers wasn't half the size of Peaches. I hope she gets better soon!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looking at that gives me shivers. If I were you I'd keep using the e-collar on her till it has a chance to heal a bit. It has me thinking of what happens with a Brown Recluse bite.

Healing vibes for {({({({({(Peaches)})})})})} and
for you.

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my Lauren had an abscess the vet left an open wound on her face. I guess they leave it open depending on the wound.

Originally Posted by taterbug

Thank goodness! But I can't believe he didn't put stitches in her jaw! When my cat Lil Bit had an abcess rupture on her tail....they stitched her up. But hers wasn't half the size of Peaches. I hope she gets better soon!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's what ya do!! Put a reglar collar on her (preferably leather small dog style) then put the e-collar on. there are grooves in the bottom of the e-collar where you fasten it (if not- take a hole punch and add some) then strap the e-collar onto the regular collar with zip ties (or string/twine) and cut it down) The reason for the regular collar is because with a safety collar the e-collar won't stay on well. I figured all of this out when my rabbit, Sophie got spayed- you've never live until you've tried to keep an e-collar on a blue holland lop!
be sure you put the food and water in an accessable place where they can reach it with the collar on.
what antibiotics did they put her on??

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can only imagine trying to keep an e-collar on a bunny. I had fun just keeping it on Peaches. I ended up putting a regular cat collar on her with gauze wrapped around it and taped it to her head/fur. That way, when she itched, she got the collar and gauze instead of herself. He said she looked like a present because I ended up using some stretch tape and taying a bow around her, too. LOL

She's on Amoxi 100mg once a day. He explained that while it heals it's going to itch and it's better to leave it open so it can heal. She won't leave a scab grow because that itches, too. I asked about stitches but since she doesn't have a ton of extra skin around her jaw he didn't feel comfortable with stitching it. I have some cream I've been sticking on it and that seems to be doing well. It's called Marigold Pocket Healer - Homeopathic first aid ointment. Ingredients: Marigold (Calendula officinalis) in a bees wax base. Locally relieves pain & aids in healing of open wounds, cuts, & sores. Apply topically as needed. I bought that and a Grape Seed ointment after one of my cats got hurt. The grape seed looks terrible (it's a black color) but both seem to help and the vet said it can't hurt. The Marigold worked wonders on my dogs ears, too.

Chrissy

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LotsO'Cats

When my Lauren had an abscess the vet left an open wound on her face. I guess they leave it open depending on the wound.
Ooops...I meant to write that she stitched Lil Bits tail,but left a portion open for drainage,so there wouldn't be such a large open wound. Sorry!
But poor little Peaches has such a big wound! But I totally understand how it has to heal from the inside out. I guess I type before I think sometimes,LOL

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No worries

Lauren had a nasty wound but Peaches is much larger than hers was. I hope Peaches has a speedy recovery

Originally Posted by taterbug

Ooops...I meant to write that she stitched Lil Bits tail,but left a portion open for drainage,so there wouldn't be such a large open wound. Sorry!
But poor little Peaches has such a big wound! But I totally understand how it has to heal from the inside out. I guess I type before I think sometimes,LOL

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We're trying to figure out what size the thing is. Hubby says it's about the size of a 50 cent piece. I think he's right. It's massive and I'm used to seeing really small ones. Then again, when it swelled, it was about 2 inches or so off her face. I'd like to know how she got it, of course, so it wouldn't happen again. She's doing really well tonight with not scratching it. She's mostly been cleaning her face and rubbing her paw across the area. It's not as meaty looking as it was last night, thank goodness. She's so affected by it, she's dead asleep in my lap with it laying on my bare leg. LOL Let me tell you, it feels funny. Like cold meat and leather.